Helping your quarterback out: Looking at Packers/Bucs

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Here we have a game this past Sunday with maybe the two best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

And still it was an extremely slopping game offensively, and neither offense could really get much going.

So what did the offensive coaches do on each side? Did they just keep plugging away, saying, "Hey, we have a Hall of Famer. It'll work out sooner or later."?

No, they changed up their playcalling to help out their quarterbacks. Both sides started calling more quick passes and one-read plays, and more quick drop-offs to speedy receivers. (For example, both of Green Bay's touchdowns were on quick-slants.)

I'm not absolving Justin Fields for his continually sub-par play, but if Green Bay and Tampa were willing to change it up to help out their Hall of Fame QBs, why won't Getsy and Eberflus change it up to help out their struggling 2nd-year quarterback?

I'm still seeing a heavy dose of dropbacks in the pocket and plays that require Fields to read the whole field and go through progressions. Yes, he's going to need to be able to do those things to ultimately succeed, but in the meantime, to help with his struggles, it makes sense to cut down the progressions, go with more quick-plays (Hell, that's 80 percent of what the Chiefs do) and 1-2 read plays that don't require Fields to do a lot of thinking.

The thing Fields is struggling with most right now is seeing the field and processing what he's seeing. There are ways to cut down on that.

Fields is playing like chicken shit, and when you get dealt chicken shit, you try to make chicken salad. Plenty of teams around the league have bad quarterbacks, yet they're all lapping the Bears on offense because they're willing to play to their quarterbacks' limited strengths. It's time for Getsy to do the same.

Packers/Bucs:

Liked Posts:
You know what really helps a young QB? Running for 280yds, I bet Brady and Rodgers would rather have that. Fields should have had some big plays Sunday bc of that….and he would have if he didn’t miss guys wide open.

I’m sure the coaching staff can do better, but it’s really not about them right now, it’s all about Fields just playing better. I think he’d be the first to admit that. 100% agreed on number of progressions, that needs to be cut down to 1-2.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You know what really helps a young QB? Running for 280yds, I bet Brady and Rodgers would rather have that. Fields should have had some big plays Sunday bc of that….and he would have if he didn’t miss guys wide open.

I’m sure the coaching staff can do better, but it’s really not about them right now, it’s all about Fields just playing better. I think he’d be the first to admit that.
Two things can be true at the same time.

Fields struggling doesn't have to be the coaches' fault for it to still be their job to make the passing game work.

Fields needs to play better. Yes, we've established that. But if he can't read the field and go through his progressions, you cut down the field and his progressions. You alter the offense and/or the pass-playcalling to account for your quarterback's limitations.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Start the 1st drive with some quick, easy passes and see what happens. Build the young man's confidence early.

I think that because of his struggles, you have to make the game easier for him.

RB in the flat, screens, slants. Nothing that requires a pocket or a 7-step drop right away. See how he responds.

Couldn't be worse than the last 2 games, could it? ?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
After the Packers scored their 2nd TD, wasn’t it just a bunch of 3 & outs and a fumble by Aaron Jones?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Start the 1st drive with some quick, easy passes and see what happens. Build the young man's confidence early.

I think that because of his struggles, you have to make the game easier for him.

RB in the flat, screens, slants. Nothing that requires a pocket or a 7-step drop right away. See how he responds.

Couldn't be worse than the last 2 games, could it? ?

Problem is Justin needs to throw the ball quickly, which he simply won’t do for some reason.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The best thing for Justin is to lean on that good running game. Easy to switch things up when you have Brady or Rodgers and they know every intricacy to the offense

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Problem is Justin needs to throw the ball quickly, which he simply won’t do for some reason.
Cut the field in half and give him 1 or 2 reads. He's capable of doing anything. But at this point, you might have to force some things out of him.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cut the field in half and give him 1 or 2 reads. He's capable of doing anything. But at this point, you might have to force some things out of him.

The 3rd down scramble he had was a half field read if i remember right..

He didn't throw the ball

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here we have a game this past Sunday with maybe the two best quarterbacks to ever play the game.

And still it was an extremely slopping game offensively, and neither offense could really get much going.

So what did the offensive coaches do on each side? Did they just keep plugging away, saying, "Hey, we have a Hall of Famer. It'll work out sooner or later."?

No, they changed up their playcalling to help out their quarterbacks. Both sides started calling more quick passes and one-read plays, and more quick drop-offs to speedy receivers. (For example, both of Green Bay's touchdowns were on quick-slants.)

I'm not absolving Justin Fields for his continually sub-par play, but if Green Bay and Tampa were willing to change it up to help out their Hall of Fame QBs, why won't Getsy and Eberflus change it up to help out their struggling 2nd-year quarterback?

I'm still seeing a heavy dose of dropbacks in the pocket and plays that require Fields to read the whole field and go through progressions. Yes, he's going to need to be able to do those things to ultimately succeed, but in the meantime, to help with his struggles, it makes sense to cut down the progressions, go with more quick-plays (Hell, that's 80 percent of what the Chiefs do) and 1-2 read plays that don't require Fields to do a lot of thinking.

The thing Fields is struggling with most right now is seeing the field and processing what he's seeing. There are ways to cut down on that.

Fields is playing like chicken shit, and when you get dealt chicken shit, you try to make chicken salad. Plenty of teams around the league have bad quarterbacks, yet they're all lapping the Bears on offense because they're willing to play to their quarterbacks' limited strengths. It's time for Getsy to do the same.

Packers/Bucs:

Right? Our coaches really coached us into that loss. Oh wait!

Whatever happened to helping your QB with a running game. That would currently be the mantra here if Fields sucked while throwing it 60% of the time.

Comparing our situation to 2 HOF members on top contending teams is simply odd.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He definitely is but he has some mental block right now. I just don’t get it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Right? Our coaches really coached us into that loss. Oh wait!

Whatever happened to helping your QB with a running game. That would currently be the mantra here if Fields sucked while throwing it 60% of the time.

Comparing our situation to 2 HOF members on top contending teams is simply odd.
No, it’s not. The gameplan was simplified, despite there being 2 HoF QBs.

If coaches are willing to simplify the game for HoF QBs, coaches should be willing to simplify the game for a 2nd year quarterback.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If coaches are willing to simplify the game for HoF QBs, coaches should be willing to simplify the game for a 2nd year quarterback.

He had simple plays though

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:

Packers/Bucs:

Two pretty decent defenses as well.

Our own defense has a few soft spots in the secondary at present. need to get that foxed.

What is a little scary, IMHO, is the slow but steady development of Romeo Doubs for Green Bay...I think that kid is going to be good, maybe really good at some point.

That's a problem.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

They are great Ds and the O's took what was available. Both teams didn't want to get beat with big plays from a couple of HOF QBs. Texans were all over the short stuff because we couldn't hit shit downfield. All our outs and quick hitches had defenders right there. Guess how those teams would have countered that. Apples and oranges.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn’t see very many slants and quick passes, my dude. He sucks right now—Keep it simple.

I wish you luck as I feel I have turned my E-face blue going on & on about these coaches coming up with a gameplan that revolves around getting Fields out of his funk, but I guess 2022 was more about super serious football than we thought.

"But Penny, a strong run game is super helpful for a quarterback!!!"

Well sure the run game does do very helpful things like keep pass rushers honest and makes it easier to sell the play action, but it does literally nothing to help a quarterback learn to play quarterback.

I mean if Bill Lazor running a Matt Nagy offense got more out of Justin Fields than Luke Getsy, maybe Luke Getsy is part of the problem???