Here we go... 2022 Season.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Missed the opening day due to unexpected event, and the Cubbies won. Will watch todays game, hopefully it will be entertaining game and the Cubs win again. Go Cubbies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Steel is on the mound. Expect 4 innings then a piggy back. Maybe Chavez taking on 3 innings.

I'm not expecting much. Striking gold 2x is a reach.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Steel is on the mound. Expect 4 innings then a piggy back. Maybe Chavez taking on 3 innings.

I'm not expecting much. Striking gold 2x is a reach.
Sounds like you don’t have nerves of “steel”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like you don’t have nerves of “steel”

Going in we knew that David was approaching this as a issue between two stable pillars to keep the bull pen from imploding.

I expect 4.50 ERA work out of him and 4 innings pitched. That falls in line with his starter numbers.

He has seen more success as a middle relief pitcher and he is placeholding for Miley.

So ya I don't expect miracles striking.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well ain't that something. Should have kneecapped him for that.

Shoot they should call up Marquez for the next series and have him let one go right into Council.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Rangers’ Willie Calhoun Wants To Be Traded After Demotion To Triple-A

By Mark Polishuk | May 1, 2022 at 10:16pm CDT

The Rangers optioned outfielder Willie Calhoun to Triple-A today, as part of the team’s efforts to pare down to 26 players in advance of Monday’s roster reduction deadline. Calhoun’s demotion was seen as something of a surprise, and it appears as though he sees the move as something of a last straw.
(I’m) gonna go to Triple A and put myself in a position to get traded. I do want to be traded,” Calhoun told The Athletic’s Levi Weaver. “I do want to be traded….I don’t know if I’ll play another game in a Rangers uniform. And I let them know that.”
Once a top-100 prospect, Calhoun was the key piece of the three-player package Texas received from the Dodgers for Yu Darvish at the 2017 trade deadline. It appeared as though Calhoun was on his way to becoming a fixture in the Rangers lineup when he hit .269/.323/.524 with 21 home runs over 337 PA in 2019, but injuries since played a role in his lack of production. Calhoun suffered a broken jaw after being hit in the face by a Julio Urias fastball during Spring Training 2020, and then missed three months of the 2021 season after suffering a forearm fracture when Kris Bubic hit him with another pitch.
Since the start of the 2020 campaign, Calhoun has hit only .223/.288/.339 over 445 plate appearances. That includes a .556 OPS over 53 PA this season, and the Rangers had seen enough to believe that Calhoun was expendable on the active roster. Calhoun’s issues with the organization have clearly been building for a while, as he told Weaver that “I’ve been wanting out for the last year, year and a half. I feel like I need a change of scenery.
However, Calhoun also wasn’t pleased with how Rangers hitting coaches both old and new (Tim Hyers and assistant coach Seth Conner were hired over the offseason) tried to alter his swing and approach. “I don’t agree with some of the hitting philosophies from the new guys,” Calhoun said. “I don’t process that (information) too well. I’m not 6-4, 230 pounds; I can’t hit pop-up home runs. I don’t have that leverage.”
Rangers manager Chris Woodward told reporters Sunday the team wanted Calhoun “to work a little bit more vertical with his swing,” but Calhoun said this clashed with his ideal approach as the “line-drive, doubles guy” he was during his time in the Dodgers farm system.
There isn’t much leverage on Calhoun’s side to force a trade, as Texas still has control over his services through the 2024 season. There was some speculation whether the Rangers would tender him a contract last winter, the two sides avoided arbitration in Calhoun’s first arb-eligible year by agreeing to a $1.3MM salary for the 2022 season.
When asked about Calhoun’s desire for a trade, Rangers GM Chris Young simply said that “we’re looking to get Willie going. The game is about performance. If he goes out and performs at a high level, there will be an opportunity for him.
This statement doesn’t rule out the possibility of a trade, of course, as it could be that Calhoun’s next “opportunity” could indeed come with another team. If the Rangers are ready to move on, they would naturally like to get some kind of decent return back, and as Calhoun noted, going on a tear at Triple-A would help him rebuild his stock for any teams interested in acquiring the 27-year-old.

He might be a low risk. Kinda fits a need. LH, can DH and play LF. I doubt that he would cost much at all and would add another LH bat.

Team control until 2025. So he fits Jed's timeline.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs moves to get to 26:

05/02/22Chicago Cubs placed RHP Ethan Roberts on the 10-day injured list retroactive to April 30, 2022. Right shoulder inflammation.
05/02/22Chicago Cubs optioned LHP Locke St. John to Iowa Cubs.

Bust

Liked Posts:
BRUTAL!

Cubs starters were 3-11 with a 5.56 in April — including 1-8 with a 6.26 ERA during the 2-9 skid into May. Only the Max Scherzer-less Nationals (6.91) and tanking Reds (7.35) were worse in that stretch.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They're rebuilding, you moron. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. Go troll the Sox Forum....they're a good team with a worse record.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is pretty amazing.

Well some traffic on a bad teams forum is better than no traffic on a bad teams forum.

Cubs stink but you really can not lay that egg on the rotation. The errors jumped. Ross uses a bad CF vs LH days. Don't hit and makes stupid errors.

Let's face it. The Cubs shut down vs LHP. It is simple as that. So if you are going to shut down then manufacture runs and push the best D.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They're rebuilding, you moron. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. Go troll the Sox Forum....they're a good team with a worse record.
Better luck next year?!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is pretty amazing.

Well some traffic on a bad teams forum is better than no traffic on a bad teams forum.

Cubs stink but you really can not lay that egg on the rotation. The errors jumped. Ross uses a bad CF vs LH days. Don't hit and makes stupid errors.

Let's face it. The Cubs shut down vs LHP. It is simple as that. So if you are going to shut down then manufacture runs and push the best D.
Can’t manufacture and D anymore with DH.

Should have kept Baez, as a defensive shortstop is a part of the championship puzzle even without pop.

Baez and Schwarber should still be Cubs. But they cost too much. The fans loved them but the Rickets said fuck you fans.

I say fuck the Rickets

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can’t manufacture and D anymore with DH.

Should have kept Baez, as a defensive shortstop is a part of the championship puzzle even without pop.

Baez and Schwarber should still be Cubs. But they cost too much. The fans loved them but the Rickets said fuck you fans.

I say fuck the Rickets

Hold on there was a write up on Hoerner today. Give me a sec....

On Friday night at 9:37 pm CT, there was a disturbance in The Force. That was when Cubs infielder Nico Hoerner drew his second walk this season, during a blowout loss to the Brewers. At this rate he’ll reach 100 career walks just before humans successfully colonize Mars.

While Hoerner’s 104 wRC+ is the same as last season, he’s hitting breaking pitches much better particularly the slider. Perhaps because of his lack of power, pitchers continue to attack Hoerner with velo; nearly half the pitches he’s seen this year are four-seamers or sliders. He hasn’t hit offspeed stuff well, but he doesn’t see it much either; as long as pitchers think they can just outgas him, that won’t be a problem.

Thanks mainly to his improvements against the slider, Hoerner has, in fact, provided some power this season even though he yet to leave the yard. His .109 ISO is 13th out of 20 qualifying MLB shortstops, and significantly better than his anemic career rate of .083. This may be a small-sample size illusion, but it isn’t entirely absurd to think he can maintain that production; the Fangraphs Steamer projection thinks he’ll do it, though to be fair, their other projections don’t.

Cubs: Taking a closer look at Nico Hoerner and his defensive metrics​

Hoerner continues to play excellent defense. Comparisons to last season are challenging since he played mostly at second then, while this year he has yet to make a start anywhere other than short. That said, this season he’s fourth in Outs Above Average among qualifying shortstops.

That comes with a potential asterisk, though. Of Hoerner’s three OAA, two have come from plays he made in short right as part of an anti-lefty shift. That’s good, but the true star defenders at short harvest their OAA when shaded toward the 5.5 hole (the hole between third and short). The top three defensive shortstops from the beginning of last season through today are Nicky Lopez, Francisco Lindor and Nick Ahmed. Well over half of Lopez and Ahmed’s OAA come from that hole, and nearly half of Lindor’s.

se guys don’t seem to deploy to short right very often; it’s not Hoerner’s fault that he’s shifted more often than the other three. But if he’s going to consistently rank among the top defenders at the position, he may have to make more plays from the 5.5 hole, which are more difficult than most because of the longer throws to first and second. (On the other hand, with outstanding defender Patrick Wisdom at third most days, maybe David Ross doesn’t need to play Hoerner shaded toward third.)

In any case, for now most defensive metrics other than Outs Above Average also like Hoerner at short this year. The Fangraphs defense rating ranks him third among shortstops entering action Sunday, and the two Baseball Reference metrics (Total Zone and Defensive Runs Saved) see him as performing about as well at short this season as he did at second last year.

Hoerner was an excellent middle infield defender last year, and remains so this year, at least thus far. If he can continue his development at the plate, he’ll be well on his way to cementing his role as a key cog in the next Cubs playoff machine.

Layman's terms:

Ross puts him on the 2B side of the bag on shifts due to Wisdom being a GG quality 3B and can handle it.

Thus Outs above avg hurts him a bit due to him getting easier throws in general. And to boot Wisdom allows Nico to not get deep into the hole at SS.

Is what it is. But in general Nico is up with the best SS ATM. May change with time. But he has made it that Simmons is a non factor outside of keeping Villar off the IF.

Now Villar OMG. Dude needs to be the DH. Holy shoot. This is where Simmons returning makes a big deal.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well to be honest Jed could DFA Ortega when Simmons returns. He is rather pointless right now. I would even put Rivas as more vital to the team with his plus glove at 1B and Schwindel looking very LaHair like.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Hold on there was a write up on Hoerner today. Give me a sec....

On Friday night at 9:37 pm CT, there was a disturbance in The Force. That was when Cubs infielder Nico Hoerner drew his second walk this season, during a blowout loss to the Brewers. At this rate he’ll reach 100 career walks just before humans successfully colonize Mars.

While Hoerner’s 104 wRC+ is the same as last season, he’s hitting breaking pitches much better particularly the slider. Perhaps because of his lack of power, pitchers continue to attack Hoerner with velo; nearly half the pitches he’s seen this year are four-seamers or sliders. He hasn’t hit offspeed stuff well, but he doesn’t see it much either; as long as pitchers think they can just outgas him, that won’t be a problem.

Thanks mainly to his improvements against the slider, Hoerner has, in fact, provided some power this season even though he yet to leave the yard. His .109 ISO is 13th out of 20 qualifying MLB shortstops, and significantly better than his anemic career rate of .083. This may be a small-sample size illusion, but it isn’t entirely absurd to think he can maintain that production; the Fangraphs Steamer projection thinks he’ll do it, though to be fair, their other projections don’t.

Cubs: Taking a closer look at Nico Hoerner and his defensive metrics​

Hoerner continues to play excellent defense. Comparisons to last season are challenging since he played mostly at second then, while this year he has yet to make a start anywhere other than short. That said, this season he’s fourth in Outs Above Average among qualifying shortstops.

That comes with a potential asterisk, though. Of Hoerner’s three OAA, two have come from plays he made in short right as part of an anti-lefty shift. That’s good, but the true star defenders at short harvest their OAA when shaded toward the 5.5 hole (the hole between third and short). The top three defensive shortstops from the beginning of last season through today are Nicky Lopez, Francisco Lindor and Nick Ahmed. Well over half of Lopez and Ahmed’s OAA come from that hole, and nearly half of Lindor’s.

se guys don’t seem to deploy to short right very often; it’s not Hoerner’s fault that he’s shifted more often than the other three. But if he’s going to consistently rank among the top defenders at the position, he may have to make more plays from the 5.5 hole, which are more difficult than most because of the longer throws to first and second. (On the other hand, with outstanding defender Patrick Wisdom at third most days, maybe David Ross doesn’t need to play Hoerner shaded toward third.)

In any case, for now most defensive metrics other than Outs Above Average also like Hoerner at short this year. The Fangraphs defense rating ranks him third among shortstops entering action Sunday, and the two Baseball Reference metrics (Total Zone and Defensive Runs Saved) see him as performing about as well at short this season as he did at second last year.

Hoerner was an excellent middle infield defender last year, and remains so this year, at least thus far. If he can continue his development at the plate, he’ll be well on his way to cementing his role as a key cog in the next Cubs playoff machine.

Layman's terms:

Ross puts him on the 2B side of the bag on shifts due to Wisdom being a GG quality 3B and can handle it.

Thus Outs above avg hurts him a bit due to him getting easier throws in general. And to boot Wisdom allows Nico to not get deep into the hole at SS.

Is what it is. But in general Nico is up with the best SS ATM. May change with time. But he has made it that Simmons is a non factor outside of keeping Villar off the IF.

Now Villar OMG. Dude needs to be the DH. Holy shoot. This is where Simmons returning makes a big deal.
Don't call Wisdom GG quality, certain posters here will roast you for it! lol.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't call Wisdom GG quality, certain posters here will roast you for it! lol.

Wisdom has some holes in his game. D is not one of them. If he can get his BB:SO ratio more even he could take it to the next stage. 3B is a premium D position.

I wouldn't worry about them. It is not about facts with them at all. It is just being a bully.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

INJURY UPDATES

10-day and 15-day IL

LHP Wade Miley (left elbow inflammation)
Expected return:
TBD
Miley is scheduled to begin a Minor League rehab assignment with Triple-A Iowa on Thursday against St. Paul on the road. The lefty played catch on Wednesday, following a bullpen session that went well on Sunday in Milwaukee. The specific timetable for his return to the Cubs' rotation remains unannounced. Prior to the bullpen session, Miley stretched out in a live batting practice session on April 27, throwing 46 pitches with three pauses to simulate inning breaks. -- Jordan Bastian (Last updated: May 4

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
woooo boy. This team STINKS

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Reds are running away with the worst record and it’s just the beginning of May. Battle for second to last in the league will be competitive.