Here we go... 2022 Season.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nice outing for Steele. 7 IP. 1 ER

Cubs starters were good every game but Stroman’s

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If a pitch is not working. Woody upped his game late when he started using his change up.

Kilian was ammped up and was popping 97 with late movement. But he settled in around 93-95 after the initial rush.

With hitters timing is everything. If they gauge a velocity and that pitcher is on that speed 80% the time hitters will sit on the heat. Having a change keeps his elbow and hand in the same spot as a fastball. Good hitters will look at the elbow vs the hand. Curve wrist is neutral position. Fastball and change the pitcher is more behind the ball and hand and wrist is supination.
Jesus, it was his first career start.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These close games show you how and why the Cubs need upgrades. In today's game, if you have someone in the pen....he has to be used at some point. Can't really afford to carry many, if any, pitchers you are afraid to use. Cubs probably have four. That's not good. The same holds true for the position players....they are trying to implement more contact up and down the lineup but yet they still have too many guys who can't make contact in contact situations. They really need to be busy this deadline.....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
These close games show you how and why the Cubs need upgrades. In today's game, if you have someone in the pen....he has to be used at some point. Can't really afford to carry many, if any, pitchers you are afraid to use. Cubs probably have four. That's not good. The same holds true for the position players....they are trying to implement more contact up and down the lineup but yet they still have too many guys who can't make contact in contact situations. They really need to be busy this deadline.....
True.

And while we don't want strikeouts, a Punch and Judy hitter like Madrigal with no speed does little for an offense. Add to it that he's average at the very best on D and the ceiling is not high. But since he was our "big catch" he will be given too many opportunities. I am not giving up completely, and don't want to be unfair since it's fairly early and he missed a lot of time, but I see a guy with literally one tool, if you can call it a tool at all. And he is currently not using it.

When you get down 2 in the 10th and don't have anyone coming up with the ability to hit a HR, against a good defensive team, it is a losing battle.

I won't go into the weaknesses since we know many/most of these guys aren't figuring into the long term picture. But they need some speed. Better D.

I am actually encouraged by some of the youngsters pitching lately. But at what point do they stop trading away anyone who looks decent? One more year?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When you say they really need to busy this deadline, who are you hoping they trade?

None of these Ortega/Rivas/Villar types are bringing anything in return. Nor are they long term assets.

Do you want them to trade Hendricks, Contreras, Happ? Do they have anything else that will bring a return? Robertson?

If they can get a haul for Contreras, I would understand trading him. The weird thing is, I fear we will forever be looking for a catcher if they do, yet I also think - and this will be blasphemous to some - our pitching is better when he is not catching.

Hendricks has big game experience, and pitching will bring a better return than whatever else we have. I love what the guy has done, but he is not a future asset for us.

And for all the kvetching Cubs fans did for months - and continue to do - the guys they traded last year are doing very little and they got good prospects.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're missing the point. There are a lot of players here that are simply filling slots and killing time while younger players develop. Will they get much for them? Unless some contenders get some key injuries, no, probably not. The hope is that some of the younger players in the pipeline become ready or close to being ready. Getting rid of players like Villar, Wisdom, Ortega, Frazier, Simmons, Norris, Rucker, Givens or Wicks is addition by subtraction. You cannot hold onto deadwood, so they have to also DFA Heyward and pay the price for an inept signing. I really think the turnover starts next year as most of these guys are on one year deals. Will they be better? Who knows? But they should be at least a lot more interesting.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You're missing the point. There are a lot of players here that are simply filling slots and killing time while younger players develop. Will they get much for them? Unless some contenders get some key injuries, no, probably not. The hope is that some of the younger players in the pipeline become ready or close to being ready. Getting rid of players like Villar, Wisdom, Ortega, Frazier, Simmons, Norris, Rucker, Givens or Wicks is addition by subtraction. You cannot hold onto deadwood, so they have to also DFA Heyward and pay the price for an inept signing. I really think the turnover starts next year as most of these guys are on one year deals. Will they be better? Who knows? But they should be at least a lot more interesting.
Are you talking to me missing the point?

No I am not I agree 100% with you that these people are just filler.

Most of the guys on this year‘s team do not figure in any kind of long-term plan. I certainly don’t mind seeing them traded. I just didn’t figure trading filler that would only bring more filler is what was being referred to as a sell off.

If they get any useful, great. I just don’t see any real future asset coming back in return for filler.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you talking to me missing the point?

No I am not I agree 100% with you that these people are just filler.

Most of the guys on this year‘s team do not figure in any kind of long-term plan. I certainly don’t mind seeing them traded. I just didn’t figure trading filler that would only bring more filler is what was being referred to as a sell off.

If they get any useful, great. I just don’t see any real future asset coming back in return for filler.
Yes....you are. Regardless of who they trade....they will get something in return. These guys are just placeholders here but a few could help a contending team in some capacity....ones with injury problems or bullpen shortages or in need of a situational lefty...etc. Will they get a ready to go player or a top pick? Of course not. Will they get a couple of low round draft picks? Yes, they probably will. It's what the Cubs do with them that's important. But.....what good are low draft picks? Here's a few names to mull over. DeGrom, Nolan Ryan, Smoltz, Hader, Piazza, Buehrle, Pujols, Thome, Trevor Hoffman, Boggs, Andre Dawson, Dave Parker, Lofton, Hershiser, Saberhagen, Sandberg, McGriff and there are plenty of others too. The earliest anyone of those players were drafted was #272 and the latest was #1390. You got to be good at talent evaluation and you have to be lucky, too. I get that it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen more than most of us think. The way I look at it, the more picks you have the better your chances are. It's a way of dumping garbage and possibly finding a gold nugget doing it. (addition by subtraction)

For what it's worth, it's just my opinion.....

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
MLB teams can't trade draft picks.

I would understand if we're talking Jonathan Villar for a low round pick, for example. Any "lottery ticket" is worth taking a shot at if you're dumping a guy you literally have no use for. But that isn't allowed so we'd get back another Jonathan Villar in many cases.

Certainly I am 100% in favor of trading away guys who don't have a place in the Cubs future for youngsters who might. I am all for that. But they're not able to stock up on draft picks.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Didn't know that. No wonder MLB is so fucked up and rebuilds take so long. Competitve Balance, my ass.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jesus, it was his first career start.

Had to argue about the value of a change up. Was not about the start. He did great until the 2nd round. First round he for the most part stuck with his sinker and spun a few curves when ahead.

Aftercseeing him one time the Cards got to him. That is where a change up mixed in gets the hitters on their front foot and not sitting on the 97.

That is what will take him up into ace level play. He is that good. But a quality change. Think of Hendricks with velocity.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs Designate Clint Frazier For Assignment

By Darragh McDonald | June 10, 2022 at 4:15pm CDT

The Cubs announced a series of roster moves to reporters, including Sahadev Sharma of The Athletic. Lefty Wade Miley, catcher Yan Gomes and infielder Jonathan Villar have all been reinstated from the injured list, while righty Chris Martin has been reinstated from the restricted list, which he joined after being on the bereavement list beyond the seven-day minimum. To make room for those four players, righty Marcus Stroman was placed on the 15-day IL with shoulder inflammation, first baseman/outfielder Alfonso Rivas and righty Michael Rucker have been optioned, while outfielder Clint Frazier has been designated for assignment. The DFA of Frazier opens a spot on both the active and 40-man rosters for Martin.
Selected fifth overall by Cleveland in the 2013 draft, Frazier was a highly-touted prospect as he rose through the minors, eventually headlining the Yankees’ return when they traded Andrew Miller at the 2016 deadline. Frazier showed plenty of signs of his potential while wearing pinstripes, especially in 2020. During that pandemic-shortened season, he played 39 games and hit a tremendous .267/.394/.511 for a wRC+ of 149. Unfortunately, he underwent a miserable 2021 campaign where he hit just .186/.317/.317, 82 wRC+, and didn’t play after July due to vertigo-like symptoms.
After the season, the Yankees designated him for assignment, with Frazier then signing with the Cubs. The one-year contract came with a $1.5MM base salary and $1MM of incentives, though the Cubs would also be able to keep him around for another couple of seasons through arbitration. However, it now seems they are moving on after just a couple of months.
Frazier missed some time this year due to appendicitis and has only gotten into 19 games on the year so far. In that time, he’s hit .216/.356/.297. That unbalanced line is thanks to a 15.6% walk rate but no home runs on the year. All told, that adds up to a wRC+ of 95, which is 5% below league average but hardly disastrous. Given that he’s still just 27 years old and comes with prospect pedigree and a track record of some MLB success, he’s sure to find another opportunity elsewhere. The Cubs will have a week to work out a trade or put him on waivers.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These are the games they need to lose. I'm not sure how they've won as many as they already have. Gotta credit Rossie, I guess. He does a pretty good job with this abortion of a pitching staff. They probably have 4 arms that shouldn't be anywhere near a ML stadium.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
28 pitches into the game today and we’re down 8-1 lol

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Killians 2nd outing tonight. I missed the first one. Seems to be having some control issues