Hey, I guessed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey, I guessed the Tanaka contract yesterday and was right on:

The deadline to the Masahiro Tanaka sweepstakes are hitting the final lap. Reports have suggested that Tanaka will pick a team by the end of today or tomorrow.

Tanaka will likely pick a team before the 4 p.m. Central time on Friday, so he can take a physical and get examine by team doctors. He will have to complete the medical examination before Friday or he could head back to Japan because no deal was reached.

Who’s ready for the final lap to the sweepstakes?

The Cubs have been in the middle on the Tanaka sweepstakes and could pull off the surprise. Many reports say the Cubs will outbid the field in years and money. But that doesn’t mean the Cubs will win. The Cubs are not a highly Japanese city and are not ready to compete. Those are two factors that could hurt the Cubs in landing Tanaka. Tanaka reportedly wants to be the ace on the team and wants to have a “challenge.” Tanaka will be the ace on the Cubs and there will be a challenge for an offensive liability team.

Many people in the industry believe the finalists are down to the Cubs and New York Yankees. The Cubs and Yankees could be in a chicken fight right now. There’s always a chance another team could swoop in and sign Tanaka, so don’t put away the “mystery team.”Also, don’t down the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Dodgers don’t care about money and will spend whatever they have to to sign a player they want.

If the Cubs do not sign Tanaka, it is not a PR (Public Relations) stunt! Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, Jason McLeod and the rest of the Cubs brass would not waste all their time on a player to show they do care about the major league team. The Cubs do have a lot of interest in Tanaka and it shows. There still a finalist in a fight with heavyweights. If the Cubs don’t sign Tanaka, it’s not because they didn’t try hard enough or didn’t make a good offer, it would be their stance on contending and not highly Japanese populated.

The reporters out there say the Cubs are in their to the end, but still see the Cubs as “longshots” to sign Tanaka. If the Cubs do not sign Tanaka, it will be sad but it does show the Cubs will spend on a player if he meets their requirements. Also, it shows the Cubs are positive they will get a huge new TV deal and that the Wrigley renovations will take place soon.

I say the Tanaka sweepstakes will end in 24-36 hours and the winning team will sign Tanaka to a 7-year deal worth 155 million with an opt out after the fourth year. Plus the 20 million going back to Tanaka’s old team, Rakuten Golden Eagles. So, the winning team will pay (as the initial offer without Tanaka opting out) 175 million all together for Tanaka’s service.

Who’s ready for the stretch and the final days of Tanaka’s decision?

UPDATE: YES Network reports that Tanaka is down to the Cubs and Yankees.

patg006

Liked Posts:
He already decided. 7 years, 155 million with the Yankees. Opt out after year 4.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
He already decided. 7 years, 155 million with the Yankees. Opt out after year 4.

Yeah, I know. I wrote that article yesterday. I said 7 years at 155 million, opt out after 4.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
NO WAY! The Yankees just outspent everyone else? What a mind blower.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop the presses.....the Yankees outbid everyone.

:enough:

chibears55

Liked Posts:
be funny if Arod wins some kind of appeal and gets to play and yanks have to pay his 20+ Mil that would kill them over the luxery tax..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
be funny if Arod wins some kind of appeal and gets to play and yanks have to pay his 20+ Mil that would kill them over the luxery tax..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk
I saw on Twitter, they will likely be over 189 million now. So their dream of being under will not happen.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Waldo's apparently been listening to CCS Radio -- where I said the Cubs will be around 7/154, and not land him :smug2:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw on Twitter, they will likely be over 189 million now. So their dream of being under will not happen.

I told everyone the Yankees will go over it if they want him. Everybody thinks their an accountant now a days.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
He'll probably just end up like Dice-K. Be good for a few years and disappear. And no point in us landing some one who might be good, because as a whole we surely won't be.

Maybe they just wanted to be dicks and waste a guy in his prime on our non contending hell hole.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs offer was 6 years at 120 million, plus 20 million posting fee. Not a bad offer, though.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs offer was 6 years at 120 million, plus 20 million posting fee. Not a bad offer, though.

Cubs knew that offer would not land him. It was another offer to say "Hey look we made a bid" Everyone knew Cubs have to outbid teams in either years or AAV. They didnt even come close on either. Cubs knew they had no shot with this offer.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Wrong. Cubs didn't want to do 4-year opt out and NTC, so they really had chance. If they would have, I could see them upping their offer. I don't get the NTC with a guy who never pitched in the majors before. I would have never done that.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
1) Nice call on the contract
2) Is this what Theo said?

The chatter has been that what really pushed the Cubs out of contention was the whole opt-out clause. Tanaka's party said it was a must and the Cubs balked at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.