Hicks and Cohen are recruiting Ebron on Twitter

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So everyone just wants to ignore that he now has two bad ankles that required season ending (potentially career ending) surgery on both. Brilliant.

I have seen nothing to suggest they are career threatening?

Should we assume that Burton's 2 core surgeries are career threatening? I am more concerned by a failed groin surgery and a hip surgery then I am a guy getting his ankles cleaned up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even dropping those balls he out produces Burton.

I think the Bears like Burton's athleticism better and he has more knowledge of the offense.

When Burton was healthy in 18 he had just a good a year as Ebron plus he has more reliable hands.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
One thing worth mentioning: Ebron and Mitch are good friends going back to their Chapel Hill days. if they can’t replace Mitch, I think Ebron gets the benefit of the doubt.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So everyone just wants to ignore that he now has two bad ankles that required season ending (potentially career ending) surgery on both. Brilliant.

More than anything else when I read through all the drama between Reich and Ebron last year, it sounds like he may have screwed the Colts to the benefit of himself and whichever team he lands on. The writing was on the wall, Doyle is their guy going forward, so him getting surgery earlier rather than later ensured that he would be more marketable as a free agent, and that the team that signs him gets a healthy Ebron and not one still recovering from ankle surgery.

Let's not forget that Ebron was the overall 10th pick of the 2014 draft, and was tearing it up for the Colts before injuries.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Financially they aren't really realistic.

Ebron gives you someone other teams actually have to cover with a legitimate defender.

If bidding war with other TE-needy teams escalates, Ebron might get into unrealistic realm.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
One thing worth mentioning: Ebron and Mitch are good friends going back to their Chapel Hill days. if they can’t replace Mitch, I think Ebron gets the benefit of the doubt.

Its quite possible that Ebron may give the Bears the nod even if the money isn't spectacular. If its close enough.

The other competitor to the Bears for Ebron would be the Pats in my opinion.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
More than anything else when I read through all the drama between Reich and Ebron last year, it sounds like he may have screwed the Colts to the benefit of himself and whichever team he lands on. The writing was on the wall, Doyle is their guy going forward, so him getting surgery earlier rather than later ensured that he would be more marketable as a free agent, and that the team that signs him gets a healthy Ebron and not one still recovering from ankle surgery.

Let's not forget that Ebron was the overall 10th pick of the 2014 draft, and was tearing it up for the Colts before injuries.

I have no issue with what he did.

He waited till the Colts were pretty much done, they were not going to re-sign him, so he got himself healthy.

The Colts had no intention of looking after him so he did what was best long term for him. If he had 2 years left on his deal that would be different, but he was suppose to kill himself in 5 largely meaningless games and kill his chances to earn on his next deal?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Him showing interest is positive. We are not going to be in the drivers seat financially on a lot of these free agents. We are going to need them to want to come here so that they money can be close.

I also look at guys like Dennis Kelly and Graham Glasgow who are from the Chicago area as more likely targets. We are the only team that can offer them moving home.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If bidding war with other TE-needy teams escalates, Ebron might get into unrealistic realm.

at the end of the day money talks and the Bears might not want to spend more money at the TE position. However since the offense is supposedly relying heavily on the TE position, they can't afford to go into the year with Burton production alone.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I sees that too

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
For the price tag I think he commands I think he is worth signing.

Pair him with a draft pick and you have something at the position. He is a pretty dynamic receiver consistently averaging over 10 YPC.

He does drop a ton of balls though. That was his issue year after year in Detroit. He can still give you productive stats but he will drop some balls.

Edit: Juts scrolled through and saw you guys have already talked about this.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
So a guy that drops a lot of balls or a position group that doesn’t catch any balls? I know which option I prefer.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This might be the 4th or 5th thread on this subject.

Mods can we get a Maybe Ebron subforum
Or let Ebron take over all the forums?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
funny how many mofos here just nitpick and bitch about everything, we should be happy that other player(s) wants to come here, and that's crazy. i'll go play for the pats or chiefs. but dude is checking us out and some of you guys just hate. You got hate in your blood.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
funny how many mofos here just nitpick and bitch about everything, we should be happy that other player(s) wants to come here, and that's crazy. i'll go play for the pats or chiefs. but dude is checking us out and some of you guys just hate. You got hate in your blood.

Players tend to sign with the highest bidder. If the bears are the highest bidder, they’ll probably get their man. Why I should be happy or unhappy about that? Just the way it goes. Btw, it’s not like he signed here...so saying he wants to come here seems a little questionable.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
TE is a position you can hit on in the mid rounds of the draft. No need to overpay for an overrated vet.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
TE is a position you can hit on in the mid rounds of the draft. No need to overpay for an overrated vet.

Bears have 2 2nd rounders and then nothing til the 5th.

the TE is pretty pivotal in this offense so this advice might seem a little daft. If it were easy to get a 5th round TE producing right away everyone would do it.

Bears need to get production immediately from the TE position. If you get a free agent that can contribute then wait for a later project.