Hopefully the Bears will pencil in Teven Jenkins at LT from beginning

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they should lock him in as a LT from the start. I'm not saying he should be the automatic starter there, but at least in his preparation, I would prefer he focus on one position and not have the Bears playing musical OLine. The sooner he starts preparing himself, whether it's in drills, lifting, agility exercises for that role, the better. O-linemen are a strange group; sometimes they even walk or sit in relative position to their other linemen, so get that familiarity going and stick with it.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I'm not as hopeful as I can separate the excitement of the JF pick from the TJ pick.
odds are that every decision the Bears make isn't going to turn to gold.

This is not to say that Jenkins is hopeless as a left tackle prospect; more that by pushing him to that position before he might be ready for the challenges specific to the position, the Bears could be in for a self-imposed tough go when it comes to protecting Justin Fields’ blind side.

And why does that matter? Because, per Pro Football Focus, when pressured last season, Fields completed 20 of 48 attempts for 279 yards, four touchdowns, and four interceptions when pressured. When he wasn’t pressured last season, Fields completed 178 of 197 passes for 1,819 yards, 18 touchdowns, and two interceptions.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not as hopeful as I can separate the excitement of the JF pick from the TJ pick.

This is not to say that Jenkins is hopeless as a left tackle prospect; more that by pushing him to that position before he might be ready for the challenges specific to the position, the Bears could be in for a self-imposed tough go when it comes to protecting Justin Fields’ blind side.

And why does that matter? Because, per Pro Football Focus, when pressured last season, Fields completed 20 of 48 attempts for 279 yards, four touchdowns, and four interceptions when pressured. When he wasn’t pressured last season, Fields completed 178 of 197 passes for 1,819 yards, 18 touchdowns, and two interceptions.

This is an exemplary rebuttal, thank you. You disagree but offer references to support your reasoning.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Lack of arm length and lack of foot speed are definite concerns at LT.

But he isn't going to get bullrushed and pushed back into the QB. So if the Bears run the ball and get the ball out quickly in the passing game he may be able to play LT. But with those physical limitations holding up in 5 step drops against elite pass rushers may be a real challenge for him.

That being said, he may be the best LT on the team at this moment, although it may not be best for him to play his entire career over there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't see much of a lack of quickness tbh. He won with savvy a lot at the college level, and that will be a problem beginning his NFL career. He's not going to be able to bait NFL EDGE players the way he could at OSU. But I see plenty there to potentially be a solid LT. That said, if he struggles with it in camp, move to RT early, let him learn there, and try LT again next year if the roster dictates that. Don't fuck his head up trying to force him into LT if he isn't there.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Is Jenkins talented enough to play LT? I think Leno being cut is a clear indication that they think he is the next LT.

I say if that is the plan to play him there, then every rep that he gets should be at LT if he starts or not.....

I think it would be terrible if he can not beat out the remaining Olinemen currently on the roster to start there.

Don't mess with jumping him around from position to position, if he was drafted to be a LT, then go with it...

greg23

Liked Posts:
Jenkins does have as many LT starts in the NFL as the rest of the roster combined.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a double edge sword that Jenkins ended up not playing LT in 2020 because the starting Oklahoma St RT went down early and the only backup tackle with experience was experienced at LT. If he had taken all of his 2020 snaps at LT, we probably wouldn't have gotten him @ 39. I'm still betting they sign another tackle w/ LT experience between now and training camp. They're just waiting for the prices to come down, or post June 1st cuts.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I may be naive, but I really don't understand the short arms argument in this case. True, he does have quite have the ideal 34"+ arm length, but aren't his arms like 33 1/2"? He is close enough to the 'ideal' that it doesn't really matter. He will be in the cloud of players where his technique and strength will matter more than arm length. And god knows that simply have 1/2" longer arms doesn't automatically guarantee success either.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
How crazy would it be if Larry Borom (has good feet) ends up being a LT and Jenkins ends up being the RT.....

Not sure I have ever seen a team spend a 2nd AND 3rd round pick on a Tackle and expect anything other than him to play at LT.

I think that just because of the draft status, they are expecting to put him on the Left and then they cut Leno right after he is drafted.... the writing is on the wall, he is going to be excepted to play LT.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Bring in Fischer and Schwartz for low contracts and double your chances of having a stud oline and turning the offense into something real.

I know they’re broken but they were among the best in the league. If Jenkins has to olay LT then I’d rather have Schwarz on the right side over ifedie and some other scrubs they brought in!!!!!

napo55

Liked Posts:
Since there is nobody else qualified to play LT, it's going to be Teven Jenkins, like it or not.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:

This is an exemplary rebuttal, thank you. You disagree but offer references to support your reasoning.
I agree, and I'm a hardcore Teven Jenkens guy. I would rather them have Ifedi go LT, if only for this season, due to experience at the NFL level. Teven seems as though he'd be a slam dunk at RT. So, with that said, I'd rather just have the "experiment at LT" be someone who's played tackle, has NFL experience, and won't be overwhelmed by the speed of the game AND be trying to get used to playing on the left again.

I could be wrong. We could all be wrong. And if that happens to be the case, the Bears really hit it out of the park, with those two picks