house training a dog

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got a 1 year old Dachshund mix this past Saturday. I bought him from a person who said they were "too busy for him" and I was told he was house trained.

In the first couple of days, he went to the bathroom on the floor a few times so I texted the lady I got him from and she said he either whines or stands by the door. He gives me no indication at all so far. He also gets excited as soon as I walk in the door from work and pees instantly. (my grandma has been coming over to watch him during the day so he's never home alone).

I have no idea if she lied to me or if he's just getting used to a new place and new people.

I love dogs, I grew up with dogs, but this is the first one I've ever owned by myself and I feel really nervous that it's not going to work out. Maybe I'm panicking to soon.

So my questions are:

How long does it take a dog to be re-trained in a new house?

Will him getting neutered help this at all? (I plan on doing that anyway)

Do you have any dog house training tips?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Just like any dog, you have to train with positive reassurance. Understand that dogs do not speak english, no matter how much you try(unless you get into training them commands, then you don't need our help). They like when you give them attention, and yelling is attention. Squirt guns worked for my dogs when they were about to do the wrong thing. Puppy pads near a door can work too.

It's a lot of work. G/L

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't panic, it's a massive change of worlds for a dog and he'll take a little bit to get settled.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Scold gently for a mistake and take outside.
Praise big time when he does it right.
He will want to please and learn fast.
A bit of patience is all... and clean mistakes quickly.
He will be fine.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
every dog i've ever owned have been house broken swiftly and in one way

Zeitung_gerollt.jpg

definitely an unpopular method and old school but it works

but since your dog is a year old i would try another way

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We got a 3 year old rescue dog about a year ago, they told us she was house broken. She was not. My wife has always trained our dogs 7 of them over the years, but they were always puppies.

An older dog that has never been house broken is an entirely different deal.

This site has the best info:
http://www.canineprofessionals.com/housebreaking-adult-dogs

"There are some common mistakes that owners make during early housebreaking attempts that can exacerbate the problem:

the use of puppy pads inside the home
too much freedom too soon
punishment after the fact
using the wrong cleaners to clean up the mess
not using a dog crate"

Hitting the dog with a newspaper is a waste of time.

"Housebreaking an Adult Dog Using the Umbilical Cord Method"

Attaching the dogs leash to you totally sucks, and totally works, took us about 4 days, they say it takes longer.

AussieBear

lock the dog up in a cage a lot at the start.. they dont like to piss/shit where they sleep... and just take them out all the time.. put them in the same spot outside so they get the idea.. and reassure them when they do they biznass... good dog...

at night i would take them out, put them in a spot they normally pissed.. didnt give them any attention until they did they thing.. then good dog and back inside to bed.. so at night da dog juss do its thang and comes back inside now.. no expectation to play etc..

gl

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kennel/crate your dog and never, ever, use it as a punishment. It should be their "safe place". Never hit your dog regardless of what anyone says. Take the dog out before and after meals or drinks a lot of water. Take them out after anyone comes to the house and this includes any family member. In other words, take the dog out after any stimulus. Yes, puppy pads by the door help, too.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Kennel/crate your dog and never, ever, use it as a punishment. It should be their "safe place". Never hit your dog regardless of what anyone says. Take the dog out before and after meals or drinks a lot of water. Take them out after anyone comes to the house and this includes any family member. In other words, take the dog out after any stimulus. Yes, puppy pads by the door help, too.

Don't listen to this guy, hit your dog early and often.... much like children the more you hit them, the more they learn.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't listen to this guy, hit your dog early and often.... much like children the more you hit them, the more they learn.
Don't listen to this guy either. Only hit your children and when the dog makes a mess...hit your children even harder.

Remember that the dog could tear your neck open with one bite, but your children are weak pansies.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I got my first dog a year ago and the first thing I will tell you is every dog owner has an opinion and every dog owner thinks they are correct. Therefore, I will tell you what I think and what worked for my pup. Also, this dog may be house broken, but it's in a new house with lots of different smells so that could be an issue for him.

- Puppy pads were a waste of money. He never even thought of using them. That and it also lets them think it is OK to go inside, it's not.
- Crate training is essential and works. Dogs won't soil in their own space. A year old dog should be able to hold his bladder for upwards of 12 hours
- Take him outside constantly and carry treats. Encourage him when you're outside. "Do your job, go potty, etc". Reward with treat. It's important that you do this every time you take him out, not just every once in awhile.
- Take him outside almost to much. After he wakes up, after he eats, after he drinks, etc. Eventually he will get the idea that is where he is suppose to go.

With all that said, that is what worked with my dog and he hasn't had a mistake in 6 months. All dog breeds are different though. Also, don't panic. It's a huge life change to get a dog and most people don't realize how much work it is. IMO, it's completely worth it though. Stick it out for atleast 6 months and if it's still to much then give the dog up. You're already through the puppy stage so it shouldn't be that difficult!

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lock the dog up in a cage a lot at the start.. they dont like to piss/shit where they sleep... and just take them out all the time.. put them in the same spot outside so they get the idea.. and reassure them when they do they biznass... good dog...

at night i would take them out, put them in a spot they normally pissed.. didnt give them any attention until they did they thing.. then good dog and back inside to bed.. so at night da dog juss do its thang and comes back inside now.. no expectation to play etc..

gl

basically what we did with our dog

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought this was going to ba a thread about wives.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I thought this was going to ba a thread about wives.

When I saw you responded, I thought this was going to be a post about getting your dog stoned.

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:
crate training works really well also we clicker trained our dog and treated every time he went outside. He had it down in 3 months and will be 1 next month