How Bears will improve running game

Washington

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-jordan-howard-running-game-20180920-story.html

Jordan Howard lifted himself from the Soldier Field turf Monday night about 9 yards behind where he had hoped to be. All he could do was flick the ball to the referee.

The Bears were trying to eat yards and drain clock with a 14-point lead and less than four minutes remaining against the Seahawks. A 5-yard loss on second-and-7 was hardly what Matt Nagy envisioned when he called an inside zone run to the right behind two tight ends.

But a blocking breakdown resulted in their worst run of the game. They punted two plays later.

“We as an offense,” Nagy said, “can’t let that happen.”

And that wasn’t Howard’s only vexing rush of the game. His totals of 14 carries and 35 yards just didn’t match up with the fact the Bears never trailed in their 24-17 victory.

“In this offense, generally, when you have the lead, that’s when you get 8-10 carries just on top of that in the fourth quarter,” Nagy said. “That hasn’t been happening.”

Why not, exactly?

That’s the question Nagy carries to Arizona for Sunday’s game against the Cardinals. After all, he’s the play-caller. It’s his choice.

The answer is multifaceted. For one thing, Nagy has quarterback DNA. Gone is the 2017 approach of playing defense with the offense. He wants Mitch Trubisky to let it rip, inexperience be damned.

But the Bears’ 42-percent run rate is 13th-most frequent in the NFL. Perhaps that should be higher, given that they have trailed for only 2 minutes, 13 seconds in two games. But it’s not like they’re ignoring the run.

Bears offensive linemen have an introspective outlook. On Howard’s 5-yard loss, defensive end Frank Clark got into the backfield virtually untouched between right tackle Bobby Massie and right guard Kyle Long. It was either a missed assignment or the result of Long stumbling off the ball.

“We need to stay on our blocks for the entirety of the play,” Long said. “Moving the line of scrimmage is always our first priority in the run game. Maintaining our blocks from snap to whistle is imperative.

“Too often, myself included, I’m looking to go get the linebacker or safety. If we just stay on the down guy, good things tend to happen.”

Massie echoed that the Bears need to stay on their blocks until the whistle. That must be a point of emphasis this week from line coach Harry Hiestand.

After the Packers game, in which Howard rushed for 82 yards on 15 carries, Hiestand acknowledged the need to improve the timing and execution of combination blocks.

“There’s nothing like game speed and game experience with it.,” Hiestand said. “I think we’re on the right track, not as good as it needs to be, though. We have a good understanding of it, but we have to do it more consistently.”

The Seahawks had eight defenders in the box on only three of Howard’s 14 carries, so the Bears weren’t outnumbered up front.

And Nagy, Long and Massie each downplayed the line’s transition from the inside/outside zone blocking attack of the last three seasons to a scheme that involves more straight-ahead power blocking.

Nagy said that blocking style has more to do with the offense’s identity. But, as Howard explained, it does slightly affect his vision. Specifically, what he must read to be effective.

“Sometimes in outside zone, you have to read the end man on the line of scrimmage,” Howard said. “On power blocking, you have to read the flow of the linebackers. I feel like power hits a little quicker. I just have to master it in practice.”

Howard, though, downplayed how that has affected his production through two games.

Since joining the Bears in 2016, he has maintained openly that he benefits from getting enough carries to develop a rhythm and wear down opponents with his physical style.

Offensive linemen feel the same way.

“You keep pounding on a D-line, (even) if they stop it early, in the fourth quarter you have handed the ball off 28, 29 times, they’re going to break,” Massie said. “They ain’t going to be able to hold up.”

Nagy, though, implied the offensive line must win blocks more consistently to prove it warrants such a big workload.

Howard is determined to do his part too.

“I don’t know how many I’m going to get a game,” Howard said, “so I just have to take advantage of my reps and make them count.”

rcampbell@chicagotribune.com

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The oline seems to be struggling more than Trubisky to adjust to this offense. Way too inconsistent.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
This whole offense needs about 12 games to work things out. It will happen.

Washington

Liked Posts:
With the new scheme, are they all a good fit for that scheme or are changes needed to get a better scheme fit? I don't think Daniels is a very powerful guy and seems more athletic and built for a zone scheme but I could be wrong there.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
With the new scheme, are they all a good fit for that scheme or are changes needed to get a better scheme fit? I don't think Daniels is a very powerful guy and seems more athletic and built for a zone scheme but I could be wrong there.

KC hasn't had a very good oline since Reid has been there. They rely on a lot of pulls, stretches and RPO last year when Hunt exploded. Adding in quick passes to receivers in space to rack up YAC. Completely different scheme from the Fox days, when this exact same group relied on a power run game. Which confuses me on how Daniels isn't playing yet. He's super athletic for this scheme.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Just outta curiousity for anyone who has coached football or played at higher levels, do things like the O-Line blocking scheme drastically change the way the offense is called? Like is Nagy just not comfortable with a zone blocking run scheme? I would assume that, given the Bears only success on offense during the Fox years was mostly due to the zone block running and Howard being perfect for that, wouldn't Nagy want to adopt that style for his own offense or would it throw him off?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Get James Daniels into the starting lineup.

Kush has been fine in pass pro, but his run blocking does nothing for me. We use to be really good running left.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just outta curiousity for anyone who has coached football or played at higher levels, do things like the O-Line blocking scheme drastically change the way the offense is called? Like is Nagy just not comfortable with a zone blocking run scheme? I would assume that, given the Bears only success on offense during the Fox years was mostly due to the zone block running and Howard being perfect for that, wouldn't Nagy want to adopt that style for his own offense or would it throw him off?

They are still doing a lot of zone blocking. That is pretty much all you can do when you are running RPOs.

Zone blocking gets destroyed for a couple of reason

1. Someone on the line does not have the necessary athletic ability to make some of the blocks [Massie and Kush]
2. They overload the run, because there is no specific hole if a team commits guys to stop the run they can sit back and wait for the RB to make his move untouched
3. You do not get to the 2nd level
4. The RB makes bad reads

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They are still doing a lot of zone blocking. That is pretty much all you can do when you are running RPOs.

1. Someone on the line does not have the necessary athletic ability to make some of the blocks [Massie and Kush]
2. They overload the run, because there is no specific hole if a team commits guys to stop the run they can sit back and wait for the RB to make his move untouched

it is a bit worse than that....during RPO plays the line can't go beyond 1 yard past the line of scrimmage until the run is committed....

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:

Thanks Windy, appreciate your answer. So to your first point of someone not having the necessary athletic ability, do you think the downgrade from Sitton to Kush was a large effect on that? Just because Massie's already been on the team and did pretty well run-blocking last season no?