How confident are you in Emery's ability to draft defense?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I know some of you will be upset with the mere questioning of Emery's ability to draft defense but I think it is an issue worth discussing. He has obviously done a great job rebuilding the offense and the sample size of his drafts are too small to draw conclusions either way. But it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't drafted defense well thus far.

Shea McCellin (bust at DE)
Brandon Hardin (bust; has a future/reserve contract with the Jets)
Isaiah Frey (serviceable starter so far)
Greg McCoy (no longer in the league)
Jonathon Bostic (struggled and probably played out of position)
Khaseem Greene (showed some promise but looked lost too often)
Cornelius Washington (yet to make an impact)

Thoughts?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think its a complicated question. We have an inclination of things Emery looks for on offense, and his success there alone is good enough to retain as a GM who can get you WR's and QB and OC. He was the right guy for this job, but the defense fell apart on him.

So lets see what he does? He has been thorough in the way he will redundantly address problems, so linebacker intrigues me because he let Urlacher go (mistake) and signed free agents and drafted into the position and it still didn't work.

Does he let the draft picks ride, or does he double up and readdress the issue already? Maybe move competition from within to the spot and start over from DE?

Its a mess, and it doesn't look solvable in one off-season, and for that very reason I am intrigued to see what we do. Is Tuckers retention the best we can do right now? or part of a longer 2-3 year transition to 3-4 with a future coaching change in mind?

The situation seems dire on defense when you have a championship offense in the wings waiting for help. Without Urlacher or Dungy/Smith walking into that door, we are going to have to create our own miracles through free agency and the draft.

Nick80

Taking out all other factors and looking at it based just on those 7 picks ignoring ALL other factors, I would say no confidence.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm not too confident...but he did okay scouting in KC. So hope is not lost

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk - now Free

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Whos Brandon Harris? And as of right now on your list 3 out of the 7 were bad picks with one of them being a 1st round, one a 3rd round and one a later round. The only one who was truly a bust was McClellin as he was the first round pick and supposed to be the impact player from the sart. Anything after the first round could be considered a developmental pick and thats why Emery picked Hardin and McCoy to try to develop them, but it didnt work out like it doesnt with so many other draft picks around the league.

You cant say Emery drafted bad last year with Bostic, Greene and Washington UNTIL they are ready to play in the NFL as every down starters/big contributors to the team. Both Bostic and Greene got thrown onto the field when they were clearly not ready to play in the NFL, how can you fault their bad play? That is why I always give draft picks 3 years until I really judge what their talent level is in the NFL. With that said I feel much more confident this year in Emery drafting on the defensive side of the ball then I have in the past. He now finally has his offense put together and gets to concentrate fully on the defense. Plus Lovie and Angelo really screwed the defense up as well so a lot of what is going on now is their faults.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Its a mess, and it doesn't look solvable in one off-season, and for that very reason I am intrigued to see what we do. Is Tuckers retention the best we can do right now? or part of a longer 2-3 year transition to 3-4 with a future coaching change in mind?

Emery doesn't have 2-3 years. After the next 2 losing seasons, he will be out

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Taking out all other factors and looking at it based just on those 7 picks ignoring ALL other factors, I would say no confidence.

I forgot to explain the most important nuance. But we know Emery likes plus size/speed guys. He wanted to get bigger, but the reason we are bigger on offense and not on defense is not because of Emery.

He tried to stay with a formula that was working even though it wasn't his style. There was a degree of wisdom there, but he cut the stinger(Urlacher) off when he cut off the head(Lovie). The animal was helpless once Tillman/Briggs went down and Peppers got old. The lack of depth was Angelos fault and each of them was small because of Lovie/Marinelli and we had no answers.

I think I trust Emery to now draft size/speed plus guys and we can expect our safeties to get bigger (Hardin like but good), and our D-line to get bigger and eventually may switch to the 3-4.

I think we should throw out Emery's attempt to draft into Lovie's defense, that didn't work out and Emery got out of that situation for a reason. I am willing to give him a fresh start if we are switching to 3-4 and letting Tucker run his own D, with Emery drafting his own guys that fit his concepts of domination.

We should get bigger and tougher, and my two free agents that can fix this defense are Charles Tillman and D.J.Williams as a 3-4 linebacker.

The rest we should just draft 6 defenders and a center if the right value falls to us, maybe a TE if we want to keep stroking the offense.

Rd1- OLB/DE pass rusher
Rd2- S
Rd3- DT
Rd4- S
Rd5- TE
Rd6- CB
Rd7- Center

re-sign Bowman/Tillman/D.J.Williams/Garza

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My confidence in his drafting is TBD.

I don't have enough evidence to decide if he is good,bad or medium. I bet he will come out medium like most seem to do.

As long as he sticks to taking big productive athletes they will likely be fine. I hope he has learned to stay away from injury concern,combine warriors.

We shall see.

Nick80

I forgot to explain the most important nuance. But we know Emery likes plus size/speed guys. He wanted to get bigger, but the reason we are bigger on offense and not on defense is not because of Emery.

He tried to stay with a formula that was working even though it wasn't his style. There was a degree of wisdom there, but he cut the stinger(Urlacher) off when he cut off the head(Lovie). The animal was helpless once Tillman/Briggs went down and Peppers got old. The lack of depth was Angelos fault and each of them was small because of Lovie/Marinelli and we had no answers.

I think I trust Emery to now draft size/speed plus guys and we can expect our safeties to get bigger (Hardin like but good), and our D-line to get bigger and eventually may switch to the 3-4.

I think we should throw out Emery's attempt to draft into Lovie's defense, that didn't work out and Emery got out of that situation for a reason. I am willing to give him a fresh start if we are switching to 3-4 and letting Tucker run his own D, with Emery drafting his own guys that fit his concepts of domination.

We should get bigger and tougher, and my two free agents that can fix this defense are Charles Tillman and D.J.Williams as a 3-4 linebacker.

The rest we should just draft 6 defenders and a center if the right value falls to us, maybe a TE if we want to keep stroking the offense.

Rd1- OLB/DE pass rusher
Rd2- S
Rd3- DT
Rd4- S
Rd5- TE
Rd6- CB
Rd7- Center

re-sign Bowman/Tillman/D.J.Williams/Garza

Sorry Rask my own post was in reply to the OP - saying that, your two posts are pretty much where I am at.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Whos Brandon Harris? And as of right now on your list 3 out of the 7 were bad picks with one of them being a 1st round, one a 3rd round and one a later round. The only one who was truly a bust was McClellin as he was the first round pick and supposed to be the impact player from the sart. Anything after the first round could be considered a developmental pick and thats why Emery picked Hardin and McCoy to try to develop them, but it didnt work out like it doesnt with so many other draft picks around the league.

You cant say Emery drafted bad last year with Bostic, Greene and Washington UNTIL they are ready to play in the NFL as every down starters/big contributors to the team. Both Bostic and Greene got thrown onto the field when they were clearly not ready to play in the NFL, how can you fault their bad play? That is why I always give draft picks 3 years until I really judge what their talent level is in the NFL. With that said I feel much more confident this year in Emery drafting on the defensive side of the ball then I have in the past. He now finally has his offense put together and gets to concentrate fully on the defense. Plus Lovie and Angelo really screwed the defense up as well so a lot of what is going on now is their faults.

It was a typo. Don't pretend you didn't know who I was talking about. A 3rd round pick shouldn't be a development pick not to mention that Hardin had a history of injuries and wasn't considered a 3rd round grade. I agree that a draft shouldn't truly be judged for 3 years but the Bears have a small window here and must improve the defense quickly to get back to the playoffs. Finally, I was talking big picture not just last season. But either way, I'm not writing any of these guys off yet. Just expressing some concern.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am confident that Emery drafts based off of what his coaches advise their needs to be.

With that in mind, I hope that Tucker knows what good DEs and DTs look like

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
It was a typo. Don't pretend you didn't know who I was talking about. A 3rd round pick shouldn't be a development pick not to mention that Hardin had a history of injuries and wasn't considered a 3rd round grade. I agree that a draft shouldn't truly be judged for 3 years but the Bears have a small window here and must improve the defense quickly to get back to the playoffs. Finally, I was talking big picture not just last season. But either way, I'm not writing any of these guys off yet. Just expressing some concern.

Haha I know I was messing around with you. Dont get me wrong Hardin was a HORRIBLE pick and was drafted much too early but how is anything past the 1st round not development picks?