How could the Bears have been so wrong about Matt Nagy? Let’s reminisce. (R. Morrissey)

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How many Head Coaches and their staff have failed with the Bears?

How many QB's have failed with the Bears?

At some time, we all have to realize that its the ownership that sets the course of the team.

The only successful part of the modern day Bears is the financial side. What's that tell ya?

I do think though, fans need to take more of a macro approach. Too often, the more meatball fans get dragged into either-or arguments, because they can't accept that all things can be true in some arguments:

Like in the case of what you said - it implies that the Bears had head coaches and QBs that would have succeeded if not for ownership. Rather, the QBs and coaches HAVE been bad, because they've had a bad ownership picking them - my apologies if this is what you meant.

The cold reality is you have bad ownership picking bad coaches and bad GMs who then pick bad quarterbacks, have bad drafting philosophies, bad coaching philosophies (looking at you Lovie Smith circa 2007 onward and Mark Trestman), all of which leads to a bad organization.

However, I think things MAY be different this time around for 2 major reasons -

1) The " even a blind squirrel can find a nut" theory - The Bears drafted Justin Fields, and by all accounts from people who have sources in Halas Hall, everyone realizes Fields is just "different" than ANYONE they've had in that building before, and they know it - so having that, it sounds like they are more willing to try to do right by this kid.

2) The Bears are going to sell the team relatively soon. I think they are willing to make major changes now, finally, because they know they won't have to live with it for long.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is such a typical dumb Morrisey piece. What a lazy piece of writing, even by his standards.

I'm not a fan of Nagy, I'll be fine when he's gone, but he wasn't hired strictly because he said the right things during the interview, or that they "fell in love with the person, not the coach"; he was hired because he practiced under Reid and for whatever offensive prowess/cache/experience he had acquired while in Kansas City.

Wow, I think Ted Phillips and George McCaskey should hire you - you sound like you'd fit right in. Morrissey was dead on.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do think though, fans need to take more of a macro approach. Too often, the more meatball fans get dragged into either-or arguments, because they can't accept that all things can be true in some arguments:

Like in the case of what you said - it implies that the Bears had head coaches and QBs that would have succeeded if not for ownership. Rather, the QBs and coaches HAVE been bad, because they've had a bad ownership picking them - my apologies if this is what you meant.

The cold reality is you have bad ownership picking bad coaches and bad GMs who then pick bad quarterbacks, have bad drafting philosophies, bad coaching philosophies (looking at you Lovie Smith circa 2007 onward and Mark Trestman), all of which leads to a bad organization.

1) The " even a blind squirrel can find a nut" theory - The Bears drafted Justin Fields, and by all accounts from people who have sources in Halas Hall, everyone realizes Fields is just "different" than ANYONE they've had in that building before, and they know it - so having that, it sounds like they are more willing to try to do right by this kid.

2) The Bears are going to sell the team relatively soon. I think they are willing to make major changes now, finally, because they know they won't have to live with it for long.
All good points, however...
We don't know if the coaches or QB's could have succeeded anywhere else..Martz sure did. Harbaugh did. Fox did as well. Those are just 3 off the top of my head..I will say this..The Bears have ruined many a QB and coach

Granada

Liked Posts:
Wow, I think Ted Phillips and George McCaskey should hire you - you sound like you'd fit right in. Morrissey was dead on.
So you're saying he wasn't hired because of his time in KC? Talk about a "meatball fan." Of course you'd eat up this fan-service Morrisey piece.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears ownership runs the team as a business unlike some other owners that run it as a hobby, because they have other business interests to live off.. (Kraft etc)

The Bears ownership makes a living for themselves and many of their family members off the team.

Lets look at it this way . What is the financial benefit to winning a Superbowl? Can someone tell us?

Also, any financial gain the Bears have from winning a Superbowl will most likely be eaten up by the players who won the game demanding more money the next year.

Maybe the Bears have decided that they are in a pretty good place financially now, and the status quo isn't so bad because their pockets are full?

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For sure.
.... and spot on as far as the reasonings given for the hiring at the time. All about Nagy's character and nothing about his aptitude or proven ability to actually DO the job.

Basically told all of us "Matt's a really nice guy with a 'can do attitude', and who isn't going to give us any problems so we're willing to hope he can grow into the job.."
A bit simplistic. This boards shining example of what could have been, Ballard who worked with Nagy in KC, also interviewed Nagy and wanted him. This is in no way a defense of Nagy or Pace but unless you already know Xs and Os better than who you're interviewing, you assume certain ability in that regard and speak more about leadership, staff and representation.

What I don't get is how TF did he pass a mock press conference. Pace, George and Teddy must love salad.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its a pretty common strategy to take the OC from the best offense in football and see if he can run his own team.Nagy was a hot name and was going to get his shot as a head coach in the NFL.

OCs and DCs fail all the time. There are only a handful of elite coaches and the majority of NFL teams are always going to be searching for those few elite coaches that really give their team an advantage over another.

dignan

Liked Posts:
I sure hope they go all out to hire somebody with HC experience this time around. Bears have chased the hot OC/DC candidate for the past +30 years and it's been a disaster.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

You are mentally Special person.

Things will go right because blind squirrels get nuts. gotcha.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
The McCaskeys have a proven model that has been financially successful the last few decades. Unfortunately, that model doesn't include winning football.
That's how it works when you run a team like a business to make money instead of a club to win championships like so many other team owners do.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How many more failed coaches is Phillips going to be allowed to interview? He isn't a football guy. He's a huge part of the suck. It makes me think that Pace didn't make the hiring decision on his own.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
We all know that the Bears don't run this franchise as if they want to win any championships, unless one falls in their lap by pure luck, but what I don't understand is this talk about how the Bears run this franchise like a business. Like they know something about running a business lol.

They do absolutely nothing IMO that proves they do anything more than sit back and collect on what the NFL has put in place as far as how teams bring in $$$. Then add to that a fan base that loves to be beaten on a daily basis and begs for more (here's your 6 and 10 team folks with no hope of being better, and here is your increase for your season tickets, geee thank you sir please hit me again). This is someones idea of running a business?? lol. Hell, anyone on this message board could of inherited this team 40 years ago and by them doing nothing this franchise would be in the same financial position it is in today. The only thing this ownership has done business wise since they took over is get a stadium deal done, and anyone except Michael was going to get that worked out with the city, it's just that the mayor hated Michael, so in walks Ted (who could have been anyone on this board) and he's this hero. And honestly that stadium reminds me of the McCaskey's, the clowns that arrived from outer space. The city was never going to let the Bears leave town, see what's going on today as the example.

Add to that, after being in the business for 40 years, the McCaskey's have little to no working relationships with people within this business, example, they must hire consulting firms or some old ex NFL guy who wants his friends to have jobs, in order for them to find GM's and coaches. This is because they are not involved in the NFL, the business they are supposed to be involved in. These fuckers just sit back and let it roll in.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
We all know that the Bears don't run this franchise as if they want to win any championships, unless one falls in their lap by pure luck, but what I don't understand is this talk about how the Bears run this franchise like a business. Like they know something about running a business lol.

They do absolutely nothing IMO that proves they do anything more than sit back and collect on what the NFL has put in place as far as how teams bring in $$$. Then add to that a fan base that loves to be beaten on a daily basis and begs for more (here's your 6 and 10 team folks with no hope of being better, and here is your increase for your season tickets, geee thank you sir please hit me again). This is someones idea of running a business?? lol. Hell, anyone on this message board could of inherited this team 40 years ago and by them doing nothing this franchise would be in the same financial position it is in today. The only thing this ownership has done business wise since they took over is get a stadium deal done, and anyone except Michael was going to get that worked out with the city, it's just that the mayor hated Michael, so in walks Ted (who could have been anyone on this board) and he's this hero. And honestly that stadium reminds me of the McCaskey's, the clowns that arrived from outer space. The city was never going to let the Bears leave town, see what's going on today as the example.

Add to that, after being in the business for 40 years, the McCaskey's have little to no working relationships with people within this business, example, they must hire consulting firms or some old ex NFL guy who wants his friends to have jobs, in order for them to find GM's and coaches. This is because they are not involved in the NFL, the business they are supposed to be involved in. These fuckers just sit back and let it roll in.
Amen

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So you're saying he wasn't hired because of his time in KC? Talk about a "meatball fan." Of course you'd eat up this fan-service Morrisey piece.
That was part of the reason but the main one was the family enjoys family men as their coaches instead of people who can get the best out of their players

jive

Liked Posts:
I will use Nagy as an example to teach my son a lesson: it doesn't matter how nice you are, people will hate you if you suck at your job.

Last edited:

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I think its simple. He was Andy Reid's OC and was part of the staff that drafted Mahomes. I'm sure he impressed in his interview with management as he can come off as a great speaker and leader.

And year one was mostly good.

But, over time it became apparent his knowledge and expertise in offensive scheme and player development was lacking.

I dont think it was a terrible decision to hire him per say. Just a swing and a miss.
No. It was clearly a swing and a miss.