How Davies helps going forward?

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
It is time to let Davies go. Let some young kid take his spot and use it to advance his carrier going forward. I absolutely see no benefit to keep Davies in rotation.
I'm I wrong? Thoughts?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is time to let Davies go. Let some young kid take his spot and use it to advance his carrier going forward. I absolutely see no benefit to keep Davies in rotation.
I'm I wrong? Thoughts?

You are not wrong. But there is no player in Iowa that has earned it. All you are doing swapping a bad pitcher for another.

At this point just wait and see.

If Abbott was dominant in Iowa then the door would come down. But he is a strike out guy that gets hammered between wiffs.

The belief it Sampson got a opertunity due to not being a free agent at season end. He said it feels like game of thrones right now. Last man standing and the opertunity is there if you grab it

So that is the vibe coming from the players. Hermosillo was along the same lines. Grab it as there is opertunity to play.

Jed has ass canned underperforming players to date. So Davis being next? I would believe someone in Iowa has to step up or Adbert gets on the mound and Sampson pitches 6 innings of solid baseball. Jed knows that Davies can beat crap teams up until today.

Regardless let's see how Thompson performs on Saturday. That holds impact over scrubs fighting for innings.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
RHP Adbert Alzolay (left hamstring strain)
Expected return:
Late August
Manager David Ross noted that Alzolay threw a bullpen session on Aug. 20 and "everything went well," which will allow the team to build out a schedule for the coming days. Ross said his hope is that Alzolay is "not too far away" from being cleared for activation. That mound workout came after the righty did a light mound session on Aug. 18 in Cincinnati with no issues. Alzolay left his Aug. 13 start early with the hamstring issue and will be eligible for activation as early as Aug. 24 vs. Rockies.

Alzolay, 26, has a 5.16 ERA in 21 starts for the Cubs this season. He has struck out 107 batters and walked just 32 in 106 1/3 innings. (Last updated: Aug. 20)

Well this is a bit of a theory. He does a mound session on the same day Davies throws? It could mean something. When it comes to Jed I really don't bet on much though.

Bust

Liked Posts:
RHP Adbert Alzolay (left hamstring strain)
Expected return:
Late August
Manager David Ross noted that Alzolay threw a bullpen session on Aug. 20 and "everything went well," which will allow the team to build out a schedule for the coming days. Ross said his hope is that Alzolay is "not too far away" from being cleared for activation. That mound workout came after the righty did a light mound session on Aug. 18 in Cincinnati with no issues. Alzolay left his Aug. 13 start early with the hamstring issue and will be eligible for activation as early as Aug. 24 vs. Rockies.

Alzolay, 26, has a 5.16 ERA in 21 starts for the Cubs this season. He has struck out 107 batters and walked just 32 in 106 1/3 innings. (Last updated: Aug. 20)

Well this is a bit of a theory. He does a mound session on the same day Davies throws? It could mean something. When it comes to Jed I really don't bet on much though.

Alzolay needs to be converted to closer or setup man role. Teams figure his stuff out the second time around the batting order.

garapp

Liked Posts:
Davies hasn't been the complete bust Arrieta was and since its almost the end of the season and the Cubs will lose most of the rest of their games anyway, who cares. Keep him in the rotation and release him after the season

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I remember back in cool-aid season a poster or two saying there wouldn’t be much difference between Darvish and Davies. ROFLMAO

there were a lot of classic takes this past offseason. According to some, Kyle Schwarber was going to be in Korea or Japan by now playing baseball

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember back in cool-aid season a poster or two saying there wouldn’t be much difference between Darvish and Davies. ROFLMAO
Gee, I wonder who that was.......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alzolay needs to be converted to closer or setup man role. Teams figure his stuff out the second time around the batting order.

Ya. He has been working on his change. It is a start. But for sure. He is codependant on his slider and becomes predictable.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Davies hasn't been the complete bust Arrieta was and since its almost the end of the season and the Cubs will lose most of the rest of their games anyway, who cares. Keep him in the rotation and release him after the season

I kinda feel the same way. If Kilian was slapping around AAA vs struggling at AA yep.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Gee, I wonder who that was.......

Not me. I was a bit pissed at that time. I'll claim Schwarber and to be honest he has had enough opertunity in Chicago to be on the same tier as Bryant and Rizzo. He had moments and they were in-between .230 campaigns or his trip to Iowa figuring it out after thinking being a hitter means walk and strike out and a HR mix. With hitting into the shift being the other half.

End of story. Not a Cubs. If he resigns I'll love him like a Taco Truck. He doesn't move on and pull for the shift ground ball when he comes to town.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Aw. Puppy love at its best.

Don't crumple up you life sized body pillow there buddy. I hear it feels very soft and cuddles.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
My point was to have some young kid take his place on the roster and learn here. As I understand now, there are no one that can do this now..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point was to have some young kid take his place on the roster and learn here. As I understand now, there are no one that can do this now..

Yes and no.

Is that fair?

Abbott is the only non trash option.

But 7+ ERA is a huge issue right now.

1.72 WHIP.

Khol was the only guy capable at Iowa other than Thompson and Steel. Sampson was sporting a 1.53 WHIP driven by 92 hits in 81 innings.

To say the least I am fine with giving a guy some extra bucks in his pocket because that is what it comes down to in this situation. But if Tom is going to pay Davies regardless and the replacement is worse and now you are paying him league min to suck? How does that make sense?

My opinion is let Adbert get healthy and see where it takes them. Injuries normally make these choices easy. Jake was a special case.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While Davies has obviously been awful, Darvish’s season has also unraveled. He holds a 6.39 ERA since his June 9th start against the Cubs. He’s basically been bad Jake Arrieta in that span.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
he is okay for now. I liked yesterday's set up. Steel for 5 then Azolay for 4.

Steel is starting to come into his own now and is starting to look like a MLB starter

over all the biggest issue in Aug was the pitching staff. It sucked. Now there seems to be a semblance of substance happening.

the team still scored runs as before.

Snicker_Dickens

Liked Posts:
I've been saying this for the whole year. No one ever cared about it lol. Now some see he can be a nasty closer for a decade. His fastball giddy-ups to over 97 mph on shorter stints. Sure, he reminds me of Johan Santana. How it takes a while to harness such nasty stuff. See Johan's minor league career. It's disgusting. Like Jose Albertos disgusting. Then, a switch flipped and he became a Cy Young pitcher. But, Alzolay hasn't been able to build his arm up enough to handle the little things that are demanded out of a 5+ inning starter. He could be a sub 2 era closer for a while. Jed must see something in Alzolay that we do not