How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am wondering what people think is the best way to fix the QB spot in 2020 so that we do not totally waste this defenses window.

*Trubisky must be kept because his money is guaranteed, so he will be on the team no matter what.

Option 1: The Veteran Starter

Sign Teddy Bridgewater 4 years 80 million/42 guaranteed [Foles Light]

Draft a QB in the 5th round

Bridgewater
Trubisky
5th Round Pick

You sign Bridgewater to start. He is smart, accurate and has spent 2 years with one of the best play callers in the league and a HOF QB. Trubisky can compete, but he is starting behind Bridgewater who can run an offense and compliment the defense.

Option 2: The Veteran Competition

Sign Marcus Mariota 2 years 36 million/18 guaranteed, really is a one year deal for 18 million but 2 years gives you some cap wiggle room and allows you to keep him if he takes off.

Draft a QB in round 5.

Mariota/Trubisky
5th round pick

This plan leaves the QB spot exposed and the Bears would need Mariota or Trubisky to be the guy. That is not as guaranteed for 2 guys who have been benched or could be benched this season.

Option 3: The High Draft Pick

Re-sign Chase Daniel

Draft a QB in round 2 or trade up a little to get to the end of round 1 for the option

Trubisky/2nd Round PIck
Daniel

This would be the cheapest financially and would allow more money to be saved for the defense. This would also put the rookie into a situation where they could not sit for very long if 10 continues to crap down his leg.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft is the only option.

I was thinking about this over the weekend... I can't honestly think of a team that was setup to win now, and simply needed a QB and got one from trade/FA and did very much.

The only example that came to mind was Vikings getting Favre and at least got to the playoffs.

Veterans.... FAs, trades.... they are not wanted for good reasons.

Fuck draft 2 QBs.... draft all QBs if you have to... find one in the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Draft is the only option.

I was thinking about this over the weekend... I can't honestly think of a team that was setup to win now, and simply needed a QB and got one from trade/FA and did very much.

The only example that came to mind was Vikings getting Favre and at least got to the playoffs.

Veterans.... FAs, trades.... they are not wanted for good reasons.

Fuck draft 2 QBs.... draft all QBs if you have to... find one in the draft.

I do like the draft option, it is cheap and probably has the most upside.

But it also does not guarantee a stable level of QB play. If the rookie is not ready then it is Trubisky or die.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do like the draft option, it is cheap and probably has the most upside.

But it also does not guarantee a stable level of QB play. If the rookie is not ready then it is Trubisky or die.

I see Veteran QB as a worse option... even less stable, with known upside and low ceiling typically.

Any QB you can name whom we could try to go and get or sign, has major flaws, injury history, etc.

In the draft you roll the dice on a young, hopefully healthy QB and you truly don't know what you will get in the NFL.

In FA/trade you roll the dice knowing you are pretty much guaranteed to have the same problems previous teams had with w/e QB you get.

Except for really odd circumstances, like if a top 10 QB were leaving their team for reasons outside of health/competence, and that rarely happens.... and even if it does... Cutler.... you are still not guaranteed success.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Start trading for draft assets for next year then go from there

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I see Veteran QB as a worse option... even less stable, with known upside and low ceiling typically.

Any QB you can name whom we could try to go and get or sign, has major flaws, injury history, etc.

In the draft you roll the dice on a young, hopefully healthy QB and you truly don't know what you will get in the NFL.

In FA/trade you roll the dice knowing you are pretty much guaranteed to have the same problems previous teams had with w/e QB you get.

Except for really odd circumstances, like if a top 10 QB were leaving their team for reasons outside of health/competence, and that rarely happens.... and even if it does... Cutler.... you are still not guaranteed success.

I think if Teddy Bridgewater was on this team right now we would be competing for the playoffs.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Remember with the vet option they are coming into a new system. The vets you mention aren’t exactly remarkable talents now are they. Will it take a vet qb shorter amount of time to pick up this offense then a rookie qb of the hc choosing? Should the hc have that much influence in the choice after the debacle at rb? Guess that’s another thing to think about.

sucks we are even discussing this shit already

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
At this point I'm on the sign a vet train because supposedly the draftees coming out aren't that good.

We don't have time to piss around - fingers crossed - that a draft pick will adjust to the speed of the game and hopefully be functional at some point.

We need someone who's already past the shock of being in the NFL and already progressed thru the rookie growing pains.

If we do this, we'll see that it does not take a couple of years to adjust to Nagy's system. A vet will be able to pick it up faster and be ready to go after a few games into the first season.

Our window is closing fast. Careers end due to injury and players regress - not to mention players leave for more lucrative contracts. Our defensive window will close faster than most think. Next year may very well be the last.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like the draft option myself but could see Pace going after Mariota. He (Mariota) would cost picks which would lesson the odds of picking up a good qb in the draft. I'm not a big draft nut but it appears there will be a crapload of good quarterbacks in the next draft.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tank for Trevor.......... in 2021.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
These are wonderful to wish for, but, what you’re going to get, is Mitch trubisky

TailGator

Trump is the best President Ever
Liked Posts:
I think if Teddy Bridgewater was on this team right now we would be competing for the playoffs.

I don't think we even have the $$$ to sign Teddy Bridgewater. Pace has blown thru the cap like he was a drunk sailor at a brothel. Funny, kinda like N. Orleans a couple years ago....horrible cap situations for a couple years, where did Pace come from?

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
At this point I'm on the sign a vet train because supposedly the draftees coming out aren't that good.

We don't have time to piss around - fingers crossed - that a draft pick will adjust to the speed of the game and hopefully be functional at some point.

We need someone who's already past the shock of being in the NFL and already progressed thru the rookie growing pains.

If we do this, we'll see that it does not take a couple of years to adjust to Nagy's system. A vet will be able to pick it up faster and be ready to go after a few games into the first season.

Our window is closing fast. Careers end due to injury and players regress - not to mention players leave for more lucrative contracts. Our defensive window will close faster than most think. Next year may very well be the last.

I don't follow college football much but what I have read is that there are several good quarterbacks coming out. Am I wrong? (it's happened before)
btw, agree with the window closing fast.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

They said the draft we took Mitch in was historically bad. It ended up just being historically bad for since it produced two all pros. Then the next draft was highly touted and it looks like mahommes and Watson kill the talent from that draft
It’s too early to tell how weak it is that’s why I think we collect assets now by trading guys we plan on dumping next year. Then we can see what there is in draft and free agency and go from therE

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't follow college football much but what I have read is that there are several good quarterbacks coming out. Am I wrong? (it's happened before)
btw, agree with the window closing fast.

I don't know either, but the top guys will be gone. I doubt Pace can trade up to get one, nor do I even want him to. Spend the two 2nds on Long's replacement and a TE. Forget the QB draft crapshoot and bring in a vet.

Most tend to believe if we had to draft in the 2nd we'd end up with someone like Jake Fromm - he's far from NFL playoff ready...lol.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
They said the draft we took Mitch in was historically bad. It ended up just being historically bad for since it produced two all pros. Then the next draft was highly touted and it looks like mahommes and Watson kill the talent from that draft
It’s too early to tell how weak it is that’s why I think we collect assets now by trading guys we plan on dumping next year. Then we can see what there is in draft and free agency and go from therE

My belief is that Pace built this team to win now, and we don't have but one MAYBE two seasons to win a SB.

Mitch was our shot at doing it with a draftee, and Pace blew it.

Now we have to find a solid vet who can put up twenty-something points every week and let our defense take care of the rest.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
It will be Mariota. Connection to Helfrich seals the deal. If you look around the league, Chicago is probably the only spot where you can say a free agent QB can win the starting job as the Bears don’t have draft capital to get a rookie that can start on day 1. Other teams that will need QBs are more likely to let a high first rounder play out of the gate. I think Mariota is at least average compared to Trubisky who is just terrible.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
My belief is that Pace built this team to win now, and we don't have but one MAYBE two seasons to win a SB.

Mitch was our shot at doing it with a draftee, and Pace blew it.

Now we have to find a solid vet who can put up twenty-something points every week and let our defense take care of the rest.

will our roster still be a win now roster once we cut players to add this vet qb?