How fast was Brian Urlacher really?

MontanaXXIII

Liked Posts:
The word is he ran sub-4.6 in the 40-yard-dash at the combine, despite weighting 258 pounds at the time, but that's hard to believe when you watch him in this race at the Superstars competition.

I know this is the 100, but he's not even close to the Barber brothers (who weren't very fast) or T.O.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
The word is he ran sub-4.6 in the 40-yard-dash at the combine, despite weighting 258 pounds at the time, but that's hard to believe when you watch him in this race at the Superstars competition.

I know this is the 100, but he's not even close to the Barber brothers (who weren't very fast) or T.O.

Fast enough

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
His anticipation and reading of the game were so good, he didn’t need blazing speed to be in the right place. But of course he had size too at 6”4 so his presence seemed huge. He was fast enough when you put all that together to be the perfect all rounder. Roquan is special, he is really fast, faster than Urlacher and has the anticipation too, just not the size but he plays hard.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
There are different levels of “fast” imo. I.e. Derrick Rose wouldn’t have beat Russell Westbrook or even Rondo in a straight line race but could do way more things athletically than both.

Urlacher had insane lateral speed and quickness. I rewatched the 06 cardinals game highlights yesterday. Never seen anything like it honestly.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

:jonesy:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

LB's don't run 100s, ever. Multiple records show he gained 20 lbs in 2 months and ran a 4.59, when 40 yd dash training wasn't what it is today. What more is there to talk about?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Barber Bros were track stars in college so no and if you watch again, Urlacher got caught in the blocks. Was resetting his ass when the gun went off. He doesn't win this race with a good start but he's a yard closer and up with the Barbers..

Last edited:

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had football speed. Go back if you can find it, and look up the Vasher field goal return to see what I mean.

Brian directs Vasher to follow his side, then runs back to make a block.

Vasher is now running full speed down the sidelines toward a record touchdown.

Guess who comes speeding up behind him?

Football speed.
Found it. Watch Urlacher.

msadows

Liked Posts:
A middle linebacker who isn't as fast as a DB/WR/HB?

Woah. I'm shocked.

Urlacher also weights 74 more pounds than rhonde, 53 more pounds than tiki, and 34 more pounds than TO.

Usually if you have more mass you don't move as fast.

For a linebacker during his era he was a freak athlete. Nowadays people like devin white make urlacher look slow, but it's a different era. You have elite athletes playing QB now. Everyone is fast and strong.

Liked Posts:
He CLEARLY had a bad start. Just take a look at this video and then take into account he is 7 years in

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why are we talking about how fast a former LB was when we could be talking about Joe Webb as a potential QB pickup for the Chicago Bears?

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
4.59 40 at that weight. That mass and that speed most really hurt

bnancs

Liked Posts:
I'd also submit as evidence the Falcons game when he consistently beat Michael Vick to the edge.

He was nearly always as fast as he needed to be to make the play, what else matters?

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Still don’t know how slow ass TB12 was able to juke Url out his jockstrap

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Quick thoughts on the race:

- Urlacher got off to a horrible start. Also looked extremely nervous leading up to the race.
- Owens always had insane speed. Not sure if it was this or last offseason but he raced Tyreek Hill and it was a tie.
- Tomba? That was weird. Was there a cancellation the day of and they grabbed him from the crowd?
- Jessie Armstead was sloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'd also submit as evidence the Falcons game when he consistently beat Michael Vick to the edge.

He was nearly always as fast as he needed to be to make the play, what else matters?
With LBs fast is fine, but instincts are way more important. There have been many LBs who had great careers, but ran 4.8+ at the combine. The thing with Urlacher is that he had elite instincts and elite physical measurables. He's a HOFer for a reason.