How Important is the Kicker Competition?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Saw an interesting twitter thread making a point that the current circus behind finding a kicker might be a lot more insignificant than it's playing out to be. What are you guys' thoughts to the current competition for the kicker position? Is it as important as it's being made out to be or is it all just media-generated hype to have something interesting for the off-season?

TL;DR - Parkey had a bad season for sure, 25th worst in the last decade based on expectations, but it wasn't as horrendous as it's being made out to be. Kickers will most often regress to the average, so while Parkey having a bad year really hurt us, he likely would have bounced back this season. Biggest issue was his contract, not having him on the team. Kickers are basically the new RBs - anyone can be slotted in and will likely play close to the average.

With every training camp news story in Chicago seemingly centered around the kicker battle, I keep tearing my hair out. Here's my thread of why our kicker is NOT our biggest issue in 2019, and why you should waste little time or effort caring about it:

First, let's take a look at how much kickers out-perform expectations once you control for distance. As you can see, Cody Parkey's season was the 25th worst in the last decade based on this metric.

EBvSN_NWwAAXj4x

The majority of kickers are close to average. Cody Parkey had a bad season, sure, but people make it seem like it was historically bad, when it clearly wasn't.

EBvSfaoWkAAOyGu

While I concede Parkey had some really untimely doinks last year, he's only been slightly below average in his entire career. Unless you're a Tucker or Aguayo fan, your kicker is probably closer to average than you think.

EBvSncTXoAAJXGq

If you look at EPA and WPA, you can see that the impact of kickers is pretty limited. For example, Parkey's FG's led to a loss of 12 expected points over the entirety of 2018. The Bears scored 421.

EBvSxdbWkAAa9X_
EBvSxdqXYAEgsBh

Before someone brings up kickers being clutch, let's just get out ahead of it and take a look at how kickers do in clutch-time situations. Sample size is a huge issue here, but there's little evidence some kickers are "clutcher" than others, it just follow similar trendlines. %.

EBvTEpJW4AUoKAx

But THE most important point, and the point to take away if nothing else, is that a kicker's accuracy last year tells you close to nothing about his accuracy the next year! Kickers regress to the mean.

EBvTcegWkAAkWXs
EBvTcewX4AU8lbi

The biggest mistake was to signing Parkey to the ridiculous $15 million deal in the first place. But cutting him in hopes of a finding a new "savior" at kicker seems equally misguided. He likely would have had a better year, and we wouldn't have had to eat his dead cap.

Focusing on who our kicker will be this year is a fruitless excercise, in my humble opinion. Just find a cheap option and stick with him. Kickers are largely interchangeable, and their impact on the narrative is greater than on actually winning games.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Parkey's leg strength couldn't even hit field goals over 50 yards. I don't know how he snowed Pace and got that contract. Who would sign a kicker that has no chance at a 50+ yarder?

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’s not important! The Bears will just grab Bailey when he’s cut by the Vikes, not sure if you heard but they traded for a HOF kicker

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Saw an interesting twitter thread making a point that the current circus behind finding a kicker might be a lot more insignificant than it's playing out to be. What are you guys' thoughts to the current competition for the kicker position? Is it as important as it's being made out to be or is it all just media-generated hype to have something interesting for the off-season?

TL;DR - Parkey had a bad season for sure, 25th worst in the last decade based on expectations, but it wasn't as horrendous as it's being made out to be. Kickers will most often regress to the average, so while Parkey having a bad year really hurt us, he likely would have bounced back this season. Biggest issue was his contract, not having him on the team. Kickers are basically the new RBs - anyone can be slotted in and will likely play close to the average.

I cant trust a poster whomsts TLDR is longer than his actual post.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Is it the huge drama fest the media (and some fans) are making it out to be? No.

Kicking is mostly mental. This is a contending team, and the coaches have to know their kicker can handle the weight of a make or break last second playoff kick. These guys are getting put through the ringer to see if they have what it takes. All eyes are focusing on their every kick now, because in the playoffs...they will be again. And if you can't handle that pressure now (Pineiro, I'm looking at you) then you're not going to be able to handle it when it counts...

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Lmao, I definitely can't argue that at all. Will work on it!
I thank you. It's actually pretty easy to do. First you come up with a wall of text(typically with poor grammar) And just begin to ramble on incessantly about your topic, often repeating certain catch phrases or even just beginning all new idea entirely but the key is to keep it all as one block of text. For our demonstrative purposes today, I am trying to thank you for acknowledgement of your lack of TLDR skills whilst also identifying my typical sarcastic approach to CCS and not really taking anyone or anything too serious. So for real, thanks a bunch!

TLDR- Thanks!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Kicker typically account for 1/3 of a teams points, and way too many times are the last opportunity to score..soooo.....yeah it is pretty frikin important

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Variables are what your coach allows you to kick and how you perform in critical situations. That Parkey was getting paid top money and was below average overall was enough to make a change but then you also have his inability to kick off, shirking under pressure and cry me a river interviews. Pace hired him based on non situational stats. Should have called a time out just before Parkey signed to see if he'd drop the pen.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'd settle for whoever the new one is not missing one under 50 yards in a preseason game.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It won’t matter because the Bears don’t have a QB capable of getting a kicker into FG range.

jive

Liked Posts:
A missed kick cost us the MIA game, which in the end would have given us a first round bye for the playoffs.
A missed kick cost us the Wild Card game, which killed the Super Bowl run.
Even if Parkey only missed those 2 kicks, he'd still be a pariah because those kicks were so important.

Unless we brutalize our opponents in a way that we have a 10+ point margin at the end of every game, then a kicker isn't that important. But, I've watched enough games that came down to the final kick to know that it is.

However, I'm glad that this is the main weakness that the media has hung onto. Much better than years past.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too much of the outcome of football games are put squarely on kickers. To roll this back some, I propose that shorter field goals should be awarded more points and longer field goals should be awarded less points. This will emphasize the actual offense/defense while deemphasizing the kicking position.