How is the poor performance of the Chicago Bears defense Mel Tucker's fault?

Ra's al Ghul

Stuck in the Lazarus Pit
Liked Posts:
20130514_jla_bb6_425.0_standard_709.0.jpg

You could blame some of the missed tackles on the Collective Bargaining Agreement that limits contact in practice, but I think that's a cop out. All 32 NFL teams are playing by the same rules, and the Bears are 31st in missed tackles on the year. Only the Washington Redskins have more than the Bears, and we just saw first hand how bad that defense is. Washington has 66 missed tackles, the Bears are at 65, and the Jacksonville Jaguars are at 64. That is some pretty crappy company the Bears are in.

Is Mel Tucker teaching some newfangled tackling technique that has the Bears suddenly struggling? Was Lovie Smith's teams better tacklers because of coaching?

Via: Windy City Gridiron http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/10/23/4867192/how-is-the-poor-performance-of-the-chicago-bears-defense-mel-tuckers

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Awesome thread since this has not been discussed before.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Players have been tackling since they were kids. They did not suddenly forget how to tackle just because they got a new coach.

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Awesome thread since this has not been discussed before.

On this forum it probably was a thread, but the topic wasn't discussed as the thread was probably derailed after the 2nd comment, and then the thread was locked.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
What amazes me is how do pro football players forget how to tackle?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much is Mel Tuckers fault?

Check these stats out, and draw your own opinion....

2012 Jags D under Tucker.. Ranked 30th... 2012 Bears D..Ranked 5th

27.8 PPG............................................... ...... 17.3 PPG
380 YPG............................................... ........315 YPG

2013 Bears D under Tucker..Ranked 27th

29.4 PPG
391 YPG

Hope this sheds some light on the subject

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
morons can always only think of one reason

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. DE: Peppers and McClellin have both been terrible. Peppers looks old and McClellin is a travesty.

2. S: Conte and Wright have been abysmal and teams are just attacking them with TEs and on deep routes.

3. DT: They get a minor pass because of injuries.

4. Mel Tucker: he needs to protect these losers at safety.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How much is Mel Tuckers fault?

Check these stats out, and draw your own opinion....

2012 Jags D under Tucker.. Ranked 30th... 2012 Bears D..Ranked 5th

27.8 PPG............................................... ...... 17.3 PPG
380 YPG............................................... ........315 YPG

2013 Bears D under Tucker..Ranked 27th

29.4 PPG
391 YPG

Hope this sheds some light on the subject

That tells us nothing on how much of it is Tuckers fault.

2012 Jaguars, really? Shittty talent on that D
2013 Bears? Do we again have to repeat all of the other factors that are contributing to those numbers?

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe not to you...but I didnt expect an in depth thought process from you either...lol

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
i honestly think it's the lack of defensive line play..wright and conte were both protected by it the years we were calling them a good duo..not so much anymore

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
1. DE: Peppers and McClellin have both been terrible. Peppers looks old and McClellin is a travesty.

2. S: Conte and Wright have been abysmal and teams are just attacking them with TEs and on deep routes.

3. DT: They get a minor pass because of injuries.

4. Mel Tucker: he needs to protect these losers at safety.

I don't even give the DTs a minor pass - they were crap this year when healthy. I think Melton had a fluke season last year because of Pepper's ability. Without that, Melton was poop till he got hurt.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
And ours will get better when he leaves Chicago

I can't wait to see your epic shit fit when you find out he's staying...

(oh, and FYI, I don't care one way or the other, but your leaps in logic and lack of knowledge offend my football sensibilities.)

drunkntailgater

Liked Posts:
Pick your poison on the Blame Game here.

Who exactly do we blame?

Do you blame Mel Tucker? He was given a Healthy Defense with drafted depth. He felt secure enough to agree that Urlacher, and Idonije were no longer needed here. Now as we look at the team they don't seem to be able to tackle, can't cover a WR past 7 yards, forced fumbles are dwindling, and we are saying that the injuries are hurting us and we have a "Lack" of Depth. Let's ignore the Elephant in the room that is pointing to our Defense being comparable to that of Jacksonville "LAST SEASON".

If he's not to blame where else do we go?

Do you blame Phil Emery? He has been praised for the moves he made landing Brandon Marshal, drafting Jeffery, and getting rid of Lovie Smith. Are we saying that the guy has no idea what he's doing when it comes to drafting Defensive Players? Please remember, he was on the Bears scouting staff when we drafted Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Peanut Tillman and so many more Defensive Players. But let's ignore that too huh?

Maybe we should go with the HC?

Trestman doesn't know a damn thing about Defense. If he let go of Tucker, who the heck would call the Defensive plays? It seems rather clear to me that the guy is a guru when it comes to offense. Hell he had Cutler working on his best season start of his career!! He made Josh McCown look damn good stepping in giving us a chance to win the game. Our offense has never looked like this in all 30 years that I'VE been watching them! But hey, let's just Blame Canada huh?

If the fans can't tell already that Mel Tucker is an absolute BUM, they must be blind! His defensive play calling is sick! He puts players out of place and the other teams are racking up the points, running and passing all over us!! The guy has got to GO!!!!! The only silver lining is see in this is that Trestman went through 4 different DC's in 5 years while coaching in Canada. Let's cross our fingers and hope that Chico or Samuri Mike are looking for a job next season.

That is all.....the drunk has spoken.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't wait to see your epic shit fit when you find out he's staying...

(oh, and FYI, I don't care one way or the other, but your leaps in logic and lack of knowledge offend my football sensibilities.)

I wont have a shit fit either way...I root for the team no matter what idiot of a coach they hire..I rooted for Wanny and Jauron teams...Neill Armstrong teams as well. The difference between you and I is, you couldn't find an aspirin in a pharmacy cause you're blind to the facts. Like a woman, you're ruled by emotions

Last edited:

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pick your poison on the Blame Game here.

Who exactly do we blame?

Do you blame Mel Tucker? He was given a Healthy Defense with drafted depth. He felt secure enough to agree that Urlacher, and Idonije were no longer needed here. Now as we look at the team they don't seem to be able to tackle, can't cover a WR past 7 yards, forced fumbles are dwindling, and we are saying that the injuries are hurting us and we have a "Lack" of Depth. Let's ignore the Elephant in the room that is pointing to our Defense being comparable to that of Jacksonville "LAST SEASON".

If he's not to blame where else do we go?

Do you blame Phil Emery? He has been praised for the moves he made landing Brandon Marshal, drafting Jeffery, and getting rid of Lovie Smith. Are we saying that the guy has no idea what he's doing when it comes to drafting Defensive Players? Please remember, he was on the Bears scouting staff when we drafted Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Peanut Tillman and so many more Defensive Players. But let's ignore that too huh?

Maybe we should go with the HC?

Trestman doesn't know a damn thing about Defense. If he let go of Tucker, who the heck would call the Defensive plays? It seems rather clear to me that the guy is a guru when it comes to offense. Hell he had Cutler working on his best season start of his career!! He made Josh McCown look damn good stepping in giving us a chance to win the game. Our offense has never looked like this in all 30 years that I'VE been watching them! But hey, let's just Blame Canada huh?

If the fans can't tell already that Mel Tucker is an absolute BUM, they must be blind! His defensive play calling is sick! He puts players out of place and the other teams are racking up the points, running and passing all over us!! The guy has got to GO!!!!! The only silver lining is see in this is that Trestman went through 4 different DC's in 5 years while coaching in Canada. Let's cross our fingers and hope that Chico or Samuri Mike are looking for a job next season.

That is all.....the drunk has spoken.
TYVM!!