How much should PER be valued, to me its OVERRATED

jsain360

Liked Posts:
Check out John Hollinger's PER projections, http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/rankings

I perfer to use the eye test when evaluating players talent, PER is nice if you like this stuff, its funny how Hollinger when you check out Rose's profile(he is #96)is still bitter about Brook Lopez not being ROY, and how Lopez should've won based off his PER. PER is garbage, I don't need a TS% to tell me Kirk Hinrich is a average shooter.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
PER is a relatively garbage stat.

TS% shouldn't be thrown in the same boat, as it's immensely valuable in looking at scoring in the NBA.

Kush77

Liked Posts:
Re:How much should PER be valued, to me its OVERRA

I don't buy into PER that much either, it's nice to play fantasy basketball with.

But Hollinger doesn't buy into his formula's 100% either.

Right before the 2008 NBA playoffs (and I talked about this on my show, I remember) Hollinger had the Utah Jazz as the highest rated team based on his formulas, that includes PER etc..

Then when the Lakers (who might of been 3rd on his list) played the Jazz in the 2nd round, he picked the Lakers. So when it came time to back up his formulas that he pumps up throughout 82 games, he picked the Lakers. Why? Because that common sense must have kicked in. The Lakers are better than the Jazz no matter what number formula you come up with.

I always thought that was funny.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

PER, TS%, all of that can be put in proper perspective. Basically its a nice tool to use in an argument, but if you need to look at some drudged up stats like some do to figure out how good or bad a player is...you really need to learn the game. I have been watching too damn long not to use my eyes to see what a player can and cannot do. Yet when a statement is made, people want proof, that is where these stats come in pretty handy. Overall, I find PER is fairly dependable, I would say about 75% or so, but Hollinger wants people to depend on his ratings to make him more money. Sorry but awards shouldn't be handed out based on his ratings. Otherwise, why vote?

Again, I am a Chuck Rosen guy, watch the games, see what a player can and cannot do on a regular basis...that is my kind of analysis...

Kush77

Liked Posts:

houheffna wrote:
Again, I am a Chuck Rosen guy, watch the games, see what a player can and cannot do on a regular basis...that is my kind of analysis...

Couldn't agree with you more.