How/Why is Jimmy Graham still on the roster?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pace has had a lot of head scratching moves this offseason, but this one takes the cake.

Did we just cut a pro bowl corner to save 12m but had a 40 year old TE on the roster making 9m.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Pace made genius moves this offseason. We have Andy Dalton. Andy "Red Rifle" Dalton. And he got rid of that bum, Fuller.

Amazing this dolt still has a job. Any other NFL ownership / front office with a hint of pride would have shown Pace the door with extreme prejudice.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pace made genius moves this offseason. We have Andy Dalton. Andy "Red Rifle" Dalton. And he got rid of that bum, Fuller.

Amazing this dolt still has a job. Any other NFL ownership / front office with a hint of pride would have shown Pace the door with extreme prejudice.

Dalton is the type of move you cut Jimmy Graham for.

Or you know, you could cut Jimmy Graham to make room for an allen robinson contract extension.

Jimmy must have the keys to pace's hair product cabinet.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I wonder if they scouted the stat line on this one entirely. Jimmy Graham sure scored a lot of touchdowns, but if you watched him play he took about a third of the season off. He clearly cares more about playing helicopter than he does football at this stage.

I was much less alarmed than most when they signed Graham to that contract because it was clearly just a one-year deal. That and he wasn't a terrible player (and he wasn't terrible for the Bears this year despite his lackadaisical attitude). But the fact that they are going to have him play out the deal is so bone-headed its hilarious. They are paying five times what he would fetch on the open market.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It’s an overpay, no doubt. But he was one of the few players on offense to play up to his contract. I think only 4 or 5 TEs had more TDs than he last year?? That’s what he was brought in to do. The problem was t Graham, it was QB and OL play.

That said, if an Orlando Brown trade can happen and cap space needs to be cleared? Bye, Jimmy, best of luck.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Its also worth noting that they still can cut him any time they feel like. His fate might actually be sealed it just hasn't been officially transacted yet.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Don’t you know he’s besties with Russell Wilson?!?!

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Its funny at how pleased everyone was with Trey Burton's 2018 production even though it was only slightly better than Graham's 2020 season. They were each making about 7 million a year too.

Bears fans really moving the goal posts around for acceptable TE production.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Graham was actually pretty good last year. Not great, but good.

My thoughts are they weren't sure how the ARob tag would play out (and there's still some unknown at this point), so if he is not there Pace/Nagy want as many weapons out there.

Then again, it was a terrible signing only a year ago, so maybe he's not willing to take the 'L' on that one yet.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Graham was actually pretty good last year. Not great, but good.

My thoughts are they weren't sure how the ARob tag would play out (and there's still some unknown at this point), so if he is not there Pace/Nagy want as many weapons out there.

Then again, it was a terrible signing only a year ago, so maybe he's not willing to take the 'L' on that one yet.

Graham is a victim of his former greatness despite still being a competent starter who never misses time.

If any of the past TE flops like Sims or Burton had played like Graham they'd be hailed as some sort of savior like Burton was in 2018.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace is the same guy who chose to keep Dion Sims for another season even though he had an out in his contract.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I don't mind that they kept him but they should have asked for a pay cut.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's here to attract a Russell Wilson trade.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Well they are butt up against the cap as of today. Something will have to give in order to sign the draft class and have money for in season moves. Hicks, Leno and Graham are the only significant cut options to get where they need to be.
Probably waiting to see how the draft goes. If they draft Leno’s obvious replacement...he gone. Otherwise, it’s probably Graham.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Because Matt Nagy has a hard-on for receiving tight ends.

Its the same reason we overpaid for Trey Burton and made that ridiculous trade for Nick Foles. So Nagy can have his people to run his "system". And don't forget Nagy is back to calling plays this year as well.

Blaming Pace for Jimmy Graham is stupid. Once again its Matt Nagy refusing to adjust his system to the personnel he has. Lazor had no problem using Kmet (who by the way is only getting paid 1.7 mil)

Pace took one for the team and cut Fuller, and now has to replace him, to make cap room so Pace can have his TE toy and his hand-picked QB Foles sit the bench.