How would you address the QB situation?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The key to this thread is to be realistic and to explain what you would do, and not what you think Pace will do.

I'll post the format for what I am looking for below:

Starting QB - Foles, he is only costing $6 million next year and is incredibly cheap.
Backup QB- Jordan Love, not sure if GB has him on the market. But if GB wants to keep Rogers happy, unloading Love may be a way to do it. I wouldn't go higher than 2 second round picks (2021, and 2022).

If you think they need a third option..
Possible third option - if the Bears get lucky in the draft and someone worthy of a first round falls to them, they have to take it. I am hoping someone like Trey Lance will fall.

This would leave the Bears with 2 shots at QB for the cost of 2-3 picks. Foles would be there as a one year gap.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Option 1: start Nick Foles and fix offensive line. I don't think Pace will be allowed to gamble by trading away picks in his last year.

Option 2: capture a unicorn in DeShawn Watson or somehow manage to get Dak Prescott.

Option 3: trade up in the draft but this is high risk, high reward.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Option 1: start Nick Foles and fix offensive line. I don't think Pace will be allowed to gamble by trading away picks in his last year.

Option 2: capture a unicorn in DeShawn Watson or somehow manage to get Dak Prescott.

Option 3: trade up in the draft but this is high risk, high reward.

Well said.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I would've fired Pace and kept Nagy.

Then I'd transfer my consciousness to the new GM, and now being the new GM I'd use pick #20 on the best offensive player I can get at that spot, start Foles, go 3-13, and pick a QB with my Top 3 pick next year, but not before using the pick to lure a good head coach to Chicago.

I'd let Hicks walk after 2021 and cut Mack, using the mass savings to sign or trade for an established quarterback, thus giving me some insurance or someone for the rookie QB to learn behind temporarily.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd explore reasonable trades for a veteran. (Ryan, Stafford etc)

I'd watch how the draft shakes out and try and move up or down and draft one 1st.

We need multiple QBs to try and find something that works

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Option 1: Trade the farm for Watson
Option 2: Trade 1st and FS Jackson for Stafford
Option 3: Offer a 5 year 40 mill a year contract to Dak

Nobody wants Jackson's overpriced contract.

Dak will probably be tagged and require at least a first round pick plus mega contract.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Love the "be realistic" and then the first move the OP makes is to acquire last year's 1st round qb drafted by our divisional rivals for two 2's.....like they're going to move him and they're going to move him to the bears.

Come on man!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Love the "be realistic" and then the first move the OP makes is to acquire last year's 1st round qb drafted by our divisional rivals for two 2's.....like they're going to move him and they're going to move him to the bears.

Come on man!

If the Packers accepted that offer, I'd be worried about Love....

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The key to this thread is to be realistic and to explain what you would do, and not what you think Pace will do.

I'll post the format for what I am looking for below:

Starting QB - Foles, he is only costing $6 million next year and is incredibly cheap.
Backup QB- Jordan Love, not sure if GB has him on the market. But if GB wants to keep Rogers happy, unloading Love may be a way to do it. I wouldn't go higher than 2 second round picks (2021, and 2022).

If you think they need a third option..
Possible third option - if the Bears get lucky in the draft and someone worthy of a first round falls to them, they have to take it. I am hoping someone like Trey Lance will fall.

This would leave the Bears with 2 shots at QB for the cost of 2-3 picks. Foles would be there as a one year gap.
Not trying to not be too critical of your post, but you were the one that said it needs to realistic.....
So GB is going to trade away a QB that they drafted in the first round a year ago to keep Rogers happy?
Trey Lance is considered the 3rd or 4th best QB and you think that he will drop to 20? I'm not saying it is impossible, but there are a lot of teams that need a QB and are either picking in front of us or have the ammo to move up and get a QB.

So now that I have shot holes in your ideas, please feel free to return the favor :)

I like your idea that Foles will be the starter. It is not the best option, but the price is right and he is going to have experience with Nagy, and he never did get a chance at playing behind the slightly improved O-line.

I for one want nothing to do with a Vet QB, because I think they are either too expensive (Watson) or they have already had a chance to show what they can do/be, and nothing out there makes me thing we can win a SB with any of them.

I want them to draft Wilson - I know it seems like I am fixated on on just one player, but I think he will be the third/fourth QB taken, and make no mistake we are going to have to give up some serious draft capital to get him. But I want the Bears to make another push to find the QB of the future.

Going through the draft means that you have a less expensive option at QB for 4 years so that you can build around him, and I want the Bears to look at the future, and I personally think that Wilson is someone that can be the future for the Bears.

So how do we get Him in the Draft?
-Target the Philly pick at #6, I offer 20, 52,and next years 2nd, and if they need more offer one of the compensatory picks we are projected to get this year.

Yes it is a lot, but teams have done more to get the QB they want.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Ok a few people addressed the Love trade offer. I said I wouldn't give up more than two 2s for Love, but I would make the offer. And Like I said I think GB has added incentive to keep Rogers happy. And two 2s are more valuable than from the spot they picked the previous year.

As for getting a QB with the 20th pick. I do think Lance can fall because he took a year off and only played a year, very much like Mitch. People may shy away from that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Plan A: Dak Prescott- requires 0 draft picks (if not franchised), can structure so cap hit is minimal this year as he comes back from injury

Plan B: Deshaun Watson- trade Houston whatever they want

Plan C: Go after whatever QB loses his job (NYJ- Darnold, SF- Jimmy G, DEN- Lock, OAK- Carr, OAK-Mariota) and then trade up for Lance.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1. Sell the team to me for $100
2. I disband the team, leaving the NFL with 31 teams
3. This forces the shutdown of the CCS Bears forum
4. I make it so that no other team can be called the "Chicago Bears"
5. Profit

greg23

Liked Posts:
Ok a few people addressed the Love trade offer. I said I wouldn't give up more than two 2s for Love, but I would make the offer. And Like I said I think GB has added incentive to keep Rogers happy. And two 2s are more valuable than from the spot they picked the previous year.

As for getting a QB with the 20th pick. I do think Lance can fall because he took a year off and only played a year, very much like Mitch. People may shy away from that.

Oh

Well since you put it that way then I'm sure GB will absolutely take that offer.

And I'm also sure that Lance will fall to 20

There are a ton of qb needy teams, qbs always get overdrafted and while i think he could slide....all the way to 20 is a reach...someone will get itchy and start talking about jumping up to get him as soon as he's still available around 10

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Build inside out going with Foles and not panick-drafting a qb just to have one
2. Keep building inside out and draft a qb
3. Keep building inside out

rogokin

Liked Posts:
Retain Foles draft a QB and get one in free agency battle it out in off season/training camp best man wins

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

I think the Love deal might just be a little early for GB to bite

As far as Lance dropping, perhaps you are right, he has limited film, no Combine, no Senior Bowl and he did not play this year. And for all those reasons I'm not sure the Bears should pin the future on him, even if he does drop that far, because it is just like the Trubisky pick.

I'm not a GM, and in your scenario, you get a QB prospect without giving up any additional pick.....But I just look at what teams are willing to do to get a QB, and Lance while he has all of those things going against him is still very talented, so for no other reason I think he comes off the board before 20....my 2 cents