How would you change the draft

One Team

Liked Posts:
What about the average of your last 3 seasons to determine your position. May stop tanking in a particular year, but could benefit teams that suck and surge. ie. like Bengals this year.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 tier lottery for first three rounds

1-10
11-21
22-32

Equal odds for each team per tier. Tiebreakers for which tier you end up in stay the same as it is now.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
4) Have an independent investigator or several to investigate if a team is tanking. If they are caught, they immediately lose their 1st round pick.

No team would risk their first round pick to try to get the #1 pick with the loss of the first round pick hanging over their heads.
Some teams are so bad they might just look like they are intentionally losing

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

1-10
11-21
22-32

Equal odds for each team per tier. Tiebreakers for which tier you end up in stay the same as it is now.
I like this idea. I don't think you need a lottery for the bottom 10, but I like that middle tier. Teams with picks 19, 20 & 21 are playoff teams, but they are usually teams like the Steelers this year and Bears last year who aren't actually any good and are an easy 1st round out. So, those teams getting incentive to get playoff experience and still could potentially get a pick just outside of the top 10 that can help get them to that next level. Like if the Bears could have won that lottery and gone from 20 to 11, they wouldn't have had to trade up either time last year.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ok Ok Ok

how about owners bid for pick position and it isnt base don record at all. Only difference is that the money comes directly from ownership's pocket. virginia has to fork over the money for bears picks, packers fans have to equally chip in based on how many shares of their team they have.

And then we can all find out how fast Jerry Jones can spend his way into the poor house.
And that is why Bezos or some other ultra-rich would be a great owner.

"Draft picks can be bought? I'll take the first round, please."

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Aside from giving the Bears picks 1,2,3,&4 this year. I wouldn't change anything.
That sound fair. The Bears and the Cards get the #1 and #2 picks every year because they were part of the founding teams. Then the rest of the draft goes like normal.

Teams might tank for the #1 pick, but probably wouldn't for the 3rd pick.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Simple. All GMs put their hands on an enlarged football. The draft order is picked by who remains the longest. First out gets pick number 32, last one standing gets first pick. No bathroom or food breaks. 100% focused on how badly they want it.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Do you believe that? I see it as comparable to tampering and that rarely gets enforced or observed.

I suppose if the implementation is strong, it could work, but it would be tough to determine. After all, what's the difference between tanking and "seeing what your young players can do"? They generally look similar on the field. Ultimately, it's been going on forever and the only reason it was caught now was because the coaches (justifiably) betrayed the owners trust.
That is why there would be independent investigators. It is their job not to be lenient on enforcing or observing.

They would look for corroborating evidence like emails, Tom Brady's being invited to an owner's boat along with the HC, and other stuff that appear problematic.

It wouldn't be just bad play.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Simple. All GMs put their hands on an enlarged football. The draft order is picked by who remains the longest. First out gets pick number 32, last one standing gets first pick. No bathroom or food breaks. 100% focused on how badly they want it.
Virginia wins!

A big bowel-moving meal right before the event.

Walk in wearing a Depends. Then crap her Depends and watch others run away from the awful stench.

bearsforever

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Auction.

Players are brought out in front of the GMs. If you're interested, you put in your bid of the contract you would offer. Player listens and selects the team based on contract as well as where they would rather play. They can only choose a team that has put a bid on them. There would need to be rules set in place to prevent teams from receiving numerous highly rated players for the same high profile position. Like 1 team getting the top 2 QBs in that class. Even though the chances of it happening would be very slim since the player is the one making the actual decision, rules would still need to be in place to make sure it doesn't happen. What rules could those be? I have no clue right now. To late to think that deeply on it.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
1-10
11-21
22-32

Not a bad idea, although it could almost increase the tanking. A team sitting at 11 with 3 games left has a lot of incentive to crack the top ten. Like, a chance at pick 1 vs pick 21.

If you just weight it gradually fromm 1-21, then there isn't much incentive to move a spot or 2.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ok Ok Ok

how about owners bid for pick position and it isnt base don record at all. Only difference is that the money comes directly from ownership's pocket. virginia has to fork over the money for bears picks, packers fans have to equally chip in based on how many shares of their team they have.

And then we can all find out how fast Jerry Jones can spend his way into the poor house.
So the richest franchise owner would always have the first pick if he wanted it? I’m not too sure about this one.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Ok Ok Ok

So the richest franchise owner would always have the first pick if he wanted it? I’m not too sure about this one.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a bad idea, although it could almost increase the tanking. A team sitting at 11 with 3 games left has a lot of incentive to crack the top ten. Like, a chance at pick 1 vs pick 21.

If you just weight it gradually fromm 1-21, then there isn't much incentive to move a spot or 2.
True… hadn’t thought of it from that perspective

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

True… hadn’t thought of it from that perspective

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
With all of the issues about tanking and the competitive balance of the game, I think the thing that you have to consider is if the carrot of getting the incredibly valuable high picks is pushing the wrong type of behavior.

Let's say that you agree with that statement. How would you change the draft to reduce or remove the incentive to tank?

Some options I've seen:
1) The draft wheel - the order is determined 32 years out with each team getting each slot once during that time frame.

2) The lottery - the NBA lottery does not stop tanking. However, there are ways to reduce tanking such as having all teams that finish 6-11 or worse having equal odds for each slot.

3) Get rid of the draft altogether- this one is a bit more radical as teams would have the ability to sign any rookies. There are versions with and without rookie salary caps.

I like the NFL draft.

It isn't perfect, but it is, in my humble opinion, infinitely superior to the draft system in the other major sports.

My only change might be the Brears predilection towards trading away valuable first-round picks, but that's not the league's fault.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Absolutely. If Dan Snyder wants the first overall pick, he and Jerry Jones can put their life's savings into escrow to ensure that the bidding process is all fair and in the open. I presume Jerry because he, Like Dan, are terrible for the league right now and I would fall out of my chair laughing to watch them sweat over how much of their own money they feel like playing with.

And Green Bay fans would have to bankrupt themselves for a premium pick.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I like the NFL draft.

It isn't perfect, but it is, in my humble opinion, infinitely superior to the draft system in the other major sports.

My only change might be the Brears predilection towards trading away valuable first-round picks, but that's not the league's fault.

I wouldn't change the draft as I like the way it is. What I would consider changing is how you can trade draft picks, perhaps something similar to the NBA where you cannot trade a team's own consecutive 1st round picks. So, for the Bears, they wouldn't have been allowed to trade all these 1st round picks lately, they would have to do every other year kind of deal. This way, you don't give up the farm for a young QB and then get him killed the next 4 years as you try and recoup picks. The team still pays a price, but you can also continue to strategically build around a franchise young player.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some kind of NBA style of Max Deal (salary and contract length). The Patrick Mahomes style of deal is only going to get worse and really hamstring an organization down the road. If not the NBA style of Max and Super Max, perhaps something like no play can make X% of the salary cap. This would help in the area of competitive balance.

Lastly, I would really like to see something done with regards to "Dead Money" but just not sure how to go about it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Auction.

Players are brought out in front of the GMs. If you're interested, you put in your bid of the contract you would offer. Player listens and selects the team based on contract as well as where they would rather play. They can only choose a team that has put a bid on them. There would need to be rules set in place to prevent teams from receiving numerous highly rated players for the same high profile position. Like 1 team getting the top 2 QBs in that class. Even though the chances of it happening would be very slim since the player is the one making the actual decision, rules would still need to be in place to make sure it doesn't happen. What rules could those be? I have no clue right now. To late to think that deeply on it.
It's kind of like an auction league in fantasy football. You all have $XXXX amount of dollars. It's all about perception. Some teams will go ALL IN to get their guy and blow 75% of their budget on onen player. Others will sit back and wait, and scoop up a lot of very good players for $XX each. Could be interesting. PLUS...would it make the league better? Teams that want LT or QB or WR or NT can big to get their guy, vs "best players available." IDK. I kind of like it.