Hub Arkush: No one asking the only question that matters about Deshaun Watson right now

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Forget rumors and sources. Why is he suddenly so anxious to desert Houston?

By Hub Arkush

February 02, 2021 at 6:52 pm CST
5JFPKIKFWWPXADIEMKGDSXURGU.jpg

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson looks to hand off the ball against the Indianapolis Colts. Watson has reportedly demanded a trade, less than a year after signing a five-year extension with Houston. (AP photo)

Is incredible talent all that matters when it comes to finding a franchise quarterback?
Clearly not.

If it were, space would be being cleared in Canton right now for Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, JaMarcus Russell and Tim Couch to go alongside Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, Todd Marinovich and Art Schlichter.
Although each of the disappointments on our list of shame suffered different maladies, all were franchise QB prospects, and all of their perceived warts are found in the character ledger.
That is why unlike most NFL teams that aren’t the Houston Texans, I wouldn’t spend 10 seconds trying to figure out how to trade away my future for Deshaun Watson.

I know. As far as we know, Watson is a fine young man who’s never shown any character flaws at all.
Until now.
With all the noise around Watson and the Texans the past few weeks, nobody is asking the most important question.

Why is Watson trying to force his way out of Houston?
Allegedly it is because he’s unhappy with ownership, football operations and the team’s record on social justice issues.
We don’t know for sure because Watson isn’t talking to anyone, at least not out loud.

There are two huge problems with that.
The first is that in bringing in general manager Nick Caserio and head coach David Culley, the Texans are completely overhauling the football operation, and according to multiple reports, Watson has refused to speak to them to this point.
Here is the second and much bigger issue.

“I’m lost for words, honestly. Been crying a little bit, a lot of bit, really. It’s just an amazing moment for me,” Watson said.
“The money is amazing, it’s life-changing, it’s great, but the biggest thing is for the [organization] to just trust in me and believe in me that I’m their guy. I’m their quarterback is the biggest thing that really touches me.
“Thanks to Cal, Janice, the entire McNair family, coach [Bill] O’Brien, Jack Easterby and the whole Texans organization for helping make my dream a reality. Special thank you to all my teammates, past and present, for believing in me and helping me grow as both a player and a person.

“Last but certainly not least, thank you to the best fans in the NFL. I promise to do everything I can to not only bring a championship to this great city but also leave a legacy of helping positively impact this community.”
That is Watson in his own words only five months ago after signing the second-richest contract in NFL history, committing him to the Texans through 2025, and more than five months after the DeAndre Hopkins trade, which is being reported as one of his main gripes.
So if things have been so impossible in Houston, why did Watson sign the deal, and why is he now so eager to leave all those folks he pledged undying allegiance to?
He would be leaving the organization, teammates and fans he owed an incalculable debt a few months ago in the dust of a complete rebuild, and a team already more than $18 million over the salary cap to eat an additional $21 million dead cap hit.
With friends like that, who needs enemies?
Without having any idea what has caused the radical 180-degree turn in Watson’s commitment to the Texans and Houston, and unable to imagine anything that might justify it, that certainly is not the kind of leader I’d want in my locker room at any price.
All of that said, the only place where he can clean this mess up is Houston by fulfilling the commitments he made, and it continues to be clear the Texans have no intentions for now of trading him.
So if you’re a fan of the Bears or any other QB-needy club, you may want to focus your attention on acquiring someone such as Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Jimmy Garoppolo, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston or maybe even Mitch Trubisky.
Sure, most of those guys won’t move, either, and none are the QB Watson is, but at least you’d be looking at somebody who might actually move and who you might even be able to trust.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It is a valid question. If he had such misgivings about HOU, he could have played out his rookie deal and forced a trade while Hou had his 5th yr option. Hopkins was long gone before he signed his extension, B O'B was gone and they hadn't even started the coaching search before he started asking to be traded.

TecmoSuperbOwl

Liked Posts:
I think it's been said that he was supposed to be involved/consulted on both GM/HC vacancies and wasn't. It could also be due to Easterby continuing to gain influence. Houston is a dumpster fire after BOB. I hope more people hop on this narrative and drive Houston's price down lol

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Catch 22. Not available without making this stink but not a good get with it either? Someone said that we would have a star QB for 11 years and I responded, that's what Houston thought. Worth it if you can get him (extremely remote for the Bear) but nothing is assured once acquired.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So if you’re a fan of the Bears or any other QB-needy club, you may want to focus your attention on acquiring someone such as Dak Prescott, Teddy Bridgewater, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr, Marcus Mariota, Kirk Cousins, Sam Darnold, Jimmy Garoppolo, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston or maybe even Mitch Trubisky.

Dak - Yes
Teddy - No
Matt - No
Derek - Depends
Marcus - Maybe
Kirk - No
Sam - No
Jimmy - No
Cam - No
Tyrod -Sure
Ryan - Sure
Andy - Fine
Jameis - Maybe
Mitch - I guess so

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Watson probably felt a bit pressured to take the deal. He's been playing on a rookie contract and to have a s*** ton of money thrown in your face is a whole bunch of extra security. Plus, refusing to sign the contract before the season is underway sends a bad message to the team. He probably felt like he could compensate for not having Hopkins and be able to carry the load.

Once the season happened, I think it became clear how depleted the roster was. Watson was one of the top performers in the league in passing yards. But it still didn't matter much for a team going 4-12.

Watson was literally the only person in that whole organization that has any value. If he feels disrespected and that management crossed the line, than I dont blame him. That organization is s*** and has been for a while, but Watson made up for it. The only thing is, it all came undone this season after losing Hopkins.

I think other organizations think they are more competent than Houston. Anyone who questions DeShawn characters or motive are just plain ignorant. How could anyone want to stay or be expected to stay on such a depleted team.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
he was lied to. i think it’s that simple.

Yeah, I don't know why people think there's some super secret behind-the-scenes sexy conspiracy.

For a lot of people, if you lie to them about something important, you're done. You're dead to them forever.

Maybe Watson is one of those kinds of people. If so, that's fine. I actually don't think that's a character flaw---It's just a personal outlook.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This isnt that complicated. Watson sigend the deal then 2 things happened.

1. Cal McNair showed the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

2. Watson was told he would have input on behalf of the players on thr GM and HC hire and then McNair plugged the plug on that.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This isnt that complicated. Watson sigend the deal then 2 things happened.

1. Cal McNair showed the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.

2. Watson was told he would have input on behalf of the players on thr GM and HC hire and then McNair plugged the plug on that.
He wont get #2 in Chicago so....

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hub is a fucking idiot. They traded the best receiver in the NFL (arguably) AFTER he signed that contract. Fucking trash article.

Hub just likes to take the opposite (not popular) take on things and argue it. He's a contrarion. It's long been his MO. I do the same thing here all the time. It's just kind of fun arguing a bad take as best as you can. I mean does the world REALLY need another "Bears should trade for Watson" article? No, of course not..... anyone with a brane knows that. I give Hub credit for at least trying to bring something different to the table.

Think @WindyCity nailed it though..... if someone puts that much money in front of me I'm fucking signing too. Especially with Watson's injury history.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I have a few friends that are Texan fans who follow the team closely. They all agree that when Bob McNair died in 2018 there was a void of leadership. His wife, 84 year old Janice McNair, became the sole owner and the team and has one of her son's, Cal, running things as the president/CEO. Cal would be most famously known for firing the GM and as opposed to hiring a GM he just handing all power over to Bill O'Brien and let him do a bunch of dumb trades.

The consensus is that the team has no direction under Janice and Cal. Key players like Watson are asking for and being promised things like that they would have some input into GM/HC type decisions, then being completely ignored in the process. Essentially all trust is fractured.

One of my buddies probably said the saddest thing I've ever heard from a fan. It went along the lines of "Any player or coach that chooses to work with this team is such a loser that they should be considered part of the problem". It's by far the most toxic ownership situation I've ever seen. It reminds me of many family owned businesses that hopelessly fail after the key builder passes.

For all the crappy stuff you may hear about Bob McNair, he knew how to run a big company. Janice and Cal have been too removed from operations and the upper/middle management (like O'Brien) grabbed all the power shortly after Bob's passing.

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
All this fuss over what millionaire we'd like to have. While the most of us are very happy with what we have and the job we do. Unless your a Keystone worker. Millions of families are struggling right now but it seems we're so worried about what QB we get. I'm in that group also sadly to say but I can live without the NFL just like I don't follow the NBA any longer. We all should be lucky to have talent like Watson but I never understood paying any pro player the amount they're getting.
Sign these guys at contact they sign and like Watson cry about a couple of years later. Or the GM's complain they don't have the money to sign anyone else. Duh you just signed one guy for $40 million per year. Trading for Mack on his salary was it really worth it? For you older guys remember back when pros had to have a second job during the off season? Now they complain at ONLY getting $16 mill per year. I love the Bears and White Sox, but nowadays I can't afford to take my family to a game. $8.50 for a beer is that fair? We make an extra trip just to save on a six pack. Ah maybe I'm getting old.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
All this fuss over what millionaire we'd like to have. While the most of us are very happy with what we have and the job we do. Unless your a Keystone worker. Millions of families are struggling right now but it seems we're so worried about what QB we get. I'm in that group also sadly to say but I can live without the NFL just like I don't follow the NBA any longer. We all should be lucky to have talent like Watson but I never understood paying any pro player the amount they're getting.
Sign these guys at contact they sign and like Watson cry about a couple of years later. Or the GM's complain they don't have the money to sign anyone else. Duh you just signed one guy for $40 million per year. Trading for Mack on his salary was it really worth it? For you older guys remember back when pros had to have a second job during the off season? Now they complain at ONLY getting $16 mill per year. I love the Bears and White Sox, but nowadays I can't afford to take my family to a game. $8.50 for a beer is that fair? We make an extra trip just to save on a six pack. Ah maybe I'm getting old.

da f**k is all this?

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Millions of families are struggling right now but it seems we're so worried about what QB we get.
Something's gotta take our minds off how much shit sucks.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suspect Hub could be asking that same question about JJ, and the answer would be the same. Ownership lost this team when the senior McNair referred to his players as inmates.