Hub Arkush on Trubisky

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Here's the article.

The question he poses is:

"Washington will start Case Keenum this week, Tampa Bay Jameis Winston, Minnesota Kirk Cousins, Buffalo Josh Allen, Miami Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cincinnati Andy Dalton, Tennessee Marcus Mariota and Denver Joe Flacco.
Winston and Mariota were picked 1 and 2 two seasons before the Bears took Trubisky, and both have bounced up and down and are now in make-or-break seasons for their jobs.
Which, if any, of those starting QBs are an easy choice over Mitch Trubisky?"

Okay...I would take Keenum, Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Allen and Flacco at the start of training camp over Trubisky. I wouldn't 3 weeks into the season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Here's the article.

"Washington will start Case Keenum this week, Tampa Bay Jameis Winston, Minnesota Kirk Cousins, Buffalo Josh Allen, Miami Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cincinnati Andy Dalton, Tennessee Marcus Mariota and Denver Joe Flacco.
Winston and Mariota were picked 1 and 2 two seasons before the Bears took Trubisky, and both have bounced up and down and are now in make-or-break seasons for their jobs.

Okay...I would take Keenum, Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, Allen and Flacco at the start of training camp over Trubisky. I wouldn't 3 weeks into the season.

I'd have to give some others more thought about wanting them over Trubisky but i'm pretty sure i'd take J.Allen over him as of right now. J.Allen with that huge arm and running ability would be nice and we have better offensive weapons then he has in Buffalo. A.Dalton is pretty much another Alex Smith but the guy is pretty good in the passing game.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I would agree with Hubs point that Trubisky is better than older busts like Winston and Mariota, over-paid underperformers like Cousins or Dalton (at least as long as he is on a rookie contract), and career journeymen like Fitz or Flacco. Allen has been better in 2019 than Trubisky (a lot of these Qbs have), but I haven't seen anything that shows he will be better in the intermediate or long term.

I disagree that Trubisky's expectations should be set at "not in the bottom half of the NFL". You don't trade up to a top 2 pick for someone marginally better than Joe Flacco. Hell, Trubiskys 2018 season play sets the bar higher than that. It's only been 2 games, the message should be "Too early to make decisions on what to do with him", it's not "bears are in a good spot with him". He's had a disappointing start, that's not a good thing, but it's not (yet) the end of the world.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Arkush doesn’t get it

fact is pace traded up for trubisky when he could have just stood pat and taken watson(my choice at the time) or mahommes(being honest I was scared of some comparisons to cutler). Comparing what other teams have based on past drafts or free agency is dumb

fact is the draft they called weak for qbs produced and amazing qb, a really good qb, and a dud and pace chose the dud and probably cause he’s white

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's get guys that have already proven to not be special instead of the one we aren't sure about yet.
Ya, that's the ticket!
1saanv.gif

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here's the article.

I would take all the ines you listed at the bottom even now...except Fitzpatrick. He is a mediocre version of jay.

How cousins makes this conversation is beyond me...the guy is alex Smith for the most part.. a perfect guy to have with an amazing defense.

Dalton is another guy I would take here in a heartbeat. His struggles have usually come when he is situationally forced to make risky throws vs. Good defenses, 4 games a year vs. Pittsburgh and baltimore is a rough life for a qb.

Flacco is good enough to take a good defense to the playoffs year after year.

None of those guys are someone to build a franchise around, but as a role filler I would take most of them over trubs at this point...because it seems the best case scenario for trubs at this moment is to become a functional role filler.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Arkush doesn’t get it

fact is pace traded up for trubisky when he could have just stood pat and taken watson(my choice at the time) or mahommes(being honest I was scared of some comparisons to cutler). Comparing what other teams have based on past drafts or free agency is dumb

fact is the draft they called weak for qbs produced and amazing qb, a really good qb, and a dud and pace chose the dud and probably cause he’s white
Fuck you and anyone else that is making this racist without a sliver of proof.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Imagine in an alternate universe, we drafted Mahomes, this franchise found a way to ruin him, Trubisky is playing amazing somewhere else, and this entire board is whining that we should have drafted Trubisky. Such is the plight of a Bears fan.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine in an alternate universe, we drafted Mahomes, this franchise found a way to ruin him, Trubisky is playing amazing somewhere else, and this entire board is whining that we should have drafted Trubisky. Such is the plight of a Bears fan.

I have hated this talking point ever since the grossman days.
Grossman left to be grossman elsewhere. Jay came here and continued to be jay, left and still was the same guy.
McCown came here, continued to be McCown, and left to be the same guy.
Orton left to be orton.

I would argue that watson and mahomes are getting hit more often and it hasn't ruined them.

Chicago doesn't ruin guys. The team just has no clue on how to pick the right one.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I have hated this talking point ever since the grossman days.
Grossman left to be grossman elsewhere. Jay came here and continued to be jay, left and still was the same guy.
McCown came here, continued to be McCown, and left to be the same guy.
Orton left to be orton.

I would argue that watson and mahomes are getting hit more often and it hasn't ruined them.

Chicago doesn't ruin guys. The team just has no clue on how to pick the right one.
I was mostly joking, but it's hard not to feel a little like that after decades of watching this organization not being able to have someone perform above average at the most important position in football.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Arkush doesn’t get it

I guess I'm still sitting over her and wondering what Watson has done that makes him really good. He blew out his knee without being touched and he hasn't won anything. He constantly gets hurt and will likely retire as early as Luck did. Why isn't he considered a dud as well?

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
I would take all the ines you listed at the bottom even now...except Fitzpatrick. He is a mediocre version of jay.

How cousins makes this conversation is beyond me...the guy is alex Smith for the most part.. a perfect guy to have with an amazing defense.

Dalton is another guy I would take here in a heartbeat. His struggles have usually come when he is situationally forced to make risky throws vs. Good defenses, 4 games a year vs. Pittsburgh and baltimore is a rough life for a qb.

Flacco is good enough to take a good defense to the playoffs year after year.

None of those guys are someone to build a franchise around, but as a role filler I would take most of them over trubs at this point...because it seems the best case scenario for trubs at this moment is to become a functional role filler.

Cousins and Dalton can never win the big game. How many times did Dalton hit the playoffs and then just melt down...EVERY time. Cousins made the playoffs once and did the same thing. Minnesota just needed him to be decent last year and they couldn't beat the team led by the guy you all are shitting on.

Flacco was a one year wonder.

It's almost like you don't even watch the games?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

I am with you 99% of the time, but no. If Mahomes is the Bears QB they are a SB lock.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I posted elsewhere that if we drafted Mahomes and he lights it up right away in Foxie's O, we may still have Fox and no Mack due to our draft position not being as good for the trade. Oakland clearly stated that they traded with us hoping for a higher draft choice.

It looks like an error right now but why Pace took Mitch was obvious and the fact that he traded up proves it wasn't due to race. If that were the reason, he'd have just stuck at 3. Bearzombie's post bitching about the trade up and race is self conflicting.

Mitch went 1st for the very reason he's not performing now. He was clearly projected to have the the least fail potential from the pocket which is the most consistent way to win in the NFL. Add in his physical traits and it was an understandable decision. That it's hasn't worked out that way has nothing to do with how these players were projected on draft day. Mahomes clearly had the most overall potential and why he was my #2. Had Pace taken him instead, I would have been fine with it. Watson was the most ready to start but I look at QB as a decade long decision so he was my #3. I thought #3 was little high for him but would have deferred until he had a couple years under him.

Right now, it looks like Pace and I got it wrong and in terms of Mahomes, that's absolutely the case but then, only a very small percent of the pundits called that right.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I wonder if people ITT are hurting their back with all these gymnastics they’re doing

greg23

Liked Posts:
To summarize

Alot of good QBs got hurt
Their backups are awful
Somehow that means the bears and trubisky are in great shape

He's got this season and 14 games to figure I n out but right now his arrow is trending down; fast.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
It's simple to me what the next step is. If Pace is too stubborn to admit his mistake and start another year with Trubisky & Daniel, he deserves to get fired.

We should use our 2nd round draft picks to get a high 2nd round QB to legitimately compete for Trubisky's job.

If Pace doubles down on Trubisky and brings in some washed up QB similar to Glennon...he deserves to get canned.