Hub Arkush: There’s no reason to believe Ryan Pace, Matt Nagy enter season on hot seat

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I was saying this a while back. There's not a lot of indications from the ownership that they're eager to shitcan Pace/Nagy, especially when they signed off on Pace trading a future first for another shot at a franchise QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
From Jahns of The Athletic this morning:

”Bears chairman George McCaskey once promised Pace that he’d be patient with his work in charge of his team’s football operations. The question now is whether that patience reloads with Fields’ arrival after what happened with Trubisky and Nagy.

But if you trusted Pace and Nagy to trade up for Fields, then you should trust their plan for him, too. Firing them after this season and starting Fields over with a new GM, a new coach, a new offensive coordinator and new position coach feels shortsighted but also something like the Bears would do because they’ve made similar moves in the past.

After Trubisky’s first season, John Fox was fired and Nagy was hired. After Jay Cutler’s debut season with the Bears in 2008, Mike Martz replaced Ron Turner. Cutler then outlasted the coaching regimes of Smith, Marc Trestman and Fox but also GMs Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery.

After Rex Grossman’s rookie season in 2003, Angelo fired coach Dick Jauron and offensive coordinator John Shoop after a 7-9 season and brought in Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Terry Shea. The latter lasted only one season before being replaced by Turner.

Providing Fields with some organizational stability should be a goal for, well, the entire Bears organization. For many reasons, that’s been difficult for the team. But like everything, it starts at the top with McCaskey and president Ted Phillips. See where I’m going with this?

Fields arguably has the talent to transcend who coaches him or who runs the Bears’ personnel department. But the bold thing for the Bears to do, based on what they’ve done before, would be to see things through with Pace and Nagy this season, next season and maybe even one more. Perhaps the organization’s patience could finally pay off.”

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As much as we may hate Nagy/Pace right now, they will give them time with Fields. If Fields isn't the man this year, they will get AT LEAST one more year with Fields starting, but more likely TWO. Really hope that they understand how to use Fields and get him out there sooner than later. Kmet evolving will help. Mooney WILL be special, so seeing him and ARob play well this year will help WHOEVER is at QB. Hopefully, we can retain Allen, but he's not getting any younger. I'd draft OL with all of our early picks next year. And maybe make a trade to get players on the OL as well.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Unfortunately this is probably true…..

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

It's from Hub so the opposite must be true.
McCaskey literally said that all Pace and Nagy need to do to keep their jobs this year is show improvement. When asked to further clarify what that means, he declined to answer, noting it's more of a general feeling.

So, as long as McCaskey feels they are improving they will be here. Well, Justin Fields alone will help feel like an improvement

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hub is shit but this is one of the few things i agree with him on.

The only thing worse than making a young QB have to learn a new offense after one year is making him learn a new one after two. We all know where this is headed. The Bears are going to end up wasting two years of Justin Fields on Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Hmmmm, how can I get clicks today???? ??

He may be right, but coaches being on the hot seat is always speculation. It's not like ownership ever comes out and says "we might fire this guy if he doesn't do better."

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I see Pace as much safer than Nagy. The McCaskey's seem to have faith in Pace, but another lower 20's offense will make it a difficult justification for keeping Nagy around. Even if George doesn't pressure Pace to fire Nagy, Pace may himself feel his offensive picks are being wasted with the poorly run haphazard offense that Nagy runs, so another bad season would mean two layers that Nagy would have to fleece into another season as HC. Also, he would be going into 2022 as a lame duck coach, that rarely is done , typically you need to extend or cut bait going into a contract year on a HC.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I know everyone hates Hub, but without even reading this article he is right. The question about the length of contracts for both Pace and Nagy were brought up during the end of the season press conference, and neither George or Ted would answer the question. When the length of Nagy's contract was asked of Pace, he would answer the question.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest their seats are anything but comfortable.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hmmmm, how can I get clicks today???? ??

He may be right, but coaches being on the hot seat is always speculation. It's not like ownership ever comes out and says "we might fire this guy if he doesn't do better."
The Dolphins owner did that with that Adam Gase.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think pace is safe ?

Naggy it depends on if he loses the locker room. Idk who we could consider a leader on this team outside of hicks and he is disgruntled cause he wants a new underserved contract. Could he sink the naggy ship? I don’t see who else has that locker room pull.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Team will need to be a complete shit show for change. The draft, who was selected, and the following moves all point to next year. Dumping/trading a bunch of vets a year early. Drafting a guy that may be dinged and a QB with only 22 college starts. Slot guy in the 6th( that broke his shoulder :( ) and then trading your starter afterward.

They're not abandoning the season but this is not a roster leveraging for this year. Poor cap management forced choices and will continue into next year with more turnover but hopefully there will be a better offensive foundation by then. I expect Hicks and AR to test FA. Dalton, Foles, Graham and Ifedi to be off the books. Bears then sign another #1 or AR after that. Depending on the what the WR market looks like before FA, they may also just tag AR. I doubt they tag Hicks and won't resign him unless the market allows it at a reasonable price.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace is likely safer than Nagy.
I was thinking the same thing but do you let him bring in a HC on a 3 or 4 year deal and then a new GM the next year? I suspect their futures are tied for another year or 2.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Hub is shit but this is one of the few things i agree with him on.

The only thing worse than making a young QB have to learn a new offense after one year is making him learn a new one after two. We all know where this is headed. The Bears are going to end up wasting two years of Justin Fields on Matt Nagy and Ryan Pace.

Of course then it becomes how do we convince Justin Fields to stay because thats where our dedication to ineptitude will ultimately bring us .

I think ultimately though the Bears will do what they usually do and underestimate just how fed up the fans really are with Nagy's offense scheme . Last year there were no fans in the stands and it has given them this false sense of security heading into this year . However they forget that the last time there was fans in the stands the Bears were having 9 yard halves 2 and 3 fgs games .

It seems to me that if the offense doesn't play well there is gonna be a huge negative response especially at home considering they have only 4 home games in the next 2 months . If they want fans to have some patience them Nagy needs to give them something to patient for .

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but there is no way that Nagy's seat is not warm.

He fired most of his offensive coaching staff after the 2019 season.

He gave up playcalling, likely forced, for part of the 2020 season.. and this is a coach that has made it known he always wants to be a playcaller.

An offensive head coach has put his team in the bottom 25% of the league in offense for 3 straight seasons. If the Bears will fire Lovie after a 10-6 season, they will shitcan Nagy. They are more loyal than most franchises, but they have their limits.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

He gave up playcalling, likely forced, for part of the 2020 season.. and this is a coach that has made it known he always wants to be a playcaller.

An offensive head coach has put his team in the bottom 25% of the league in offense for 3 straight seasons. If the Bears will fire Lovie after a 10-6 season, they will shitcan Nagy. They are more loyal than most franchises, but they have their limits.
There's also zero to suggest that was the case.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

lol.

QBears.