Hub Arkush: There’s no reason to believe Ryan Pace, Matt Nagy enter season on hot seat

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
The fact they're already pissing around with Dalton starting basically proves it. I get they paid the guy to be the QB, but that was before a much better option fell in their laps draft night.

But they both know they're safe this year, so hence why they're dragging the transition to Fields out. I'm guessing if all went well with Dalton, Nagy would be okay never playing Fields once this season.

But everyone, their mother, besides Nagy knows who Dalton is, knows the Bears fanbase and knows that has no chance of happening.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just for reference, Jerry Angelo lasted for 11 years. 95 wins, 81 losses, 4 playoff appearances, 3 wins 4 losses in the playoffs.

His first year was the 2001 13-3 aberration of a season before the team followed it up with 4-12, 7-9 and 5-11. After that they made the playoffs twice with 11-5 (divisional loss) then 13-3 en route to the superbowl loss. After that, they went 7-9, 9-7 and 7-9. His last two seasons were 11-5 (conference final loss) then 8-8 before he was fired.
And as goofy as that guy was he put together a super bowl roster.. even selecting Michael fucking Haynes in 2003 with the #4 pick ?

this is how bad pace is.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I was thinking the same thing but do you let him bring in a HC on a 3 or 4 year deal and then a new GM the next year? I suspect their futures are tied for another year or 2.
No. Pace is likely here for another 3-4 years. Nagy? We will see if he can join him…

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I don't think Fields resets the expectations to the beginning. I think it gives a little breathing room.

I think Nagy could be gone soon unless he improves.

Exactly I think the Bears management as usual is underestimating the situation and Nagy will eventually resign because hes gonna be a huge distraction to the organization if he cant put a good offense on the field.

Its gonna get incredibly hostile if we cant move the ball and score some points after 4 off seasons .The lack of fans last year has them totally misreading the situation .

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly I think the Bears management as usual is underestimating the situation and Nagy will eventually resign because hes gonna be a huge distraction to the organization if he cant put a good offense on the field.

Its gonna get incredibly hostile if we cant move the ball and score some points after 4 off seasons .The lack of fans last year has them totally misreading the situation .

You think Nagy is going to resign and give up millions of dollars because some drunk idiots boo him?

:jonesy:

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
You think Nagy is going to resign and give up millions of dollars because some drunk idiots boo him?

:jonesy:

I think that if he doesn't put a competent offense on the field its gonna get so bad it will threaten to bring down both Nagy AND PACE and Nagy will then fall on the sword . Im talking both fans and media and overall general perception of the entire thing .

Im fully expecting the whole "spend more time with my family " etc.. etc...etc if this offense is still struggling in year 4

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
I think he’s absolutely right. Pace got hired to rebuild the Bears, not just the team, the whole stinking organization.
the only change this off season will be Ted Philips retiring or moved to an “honorary” role…

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
And as goofy as that guy was he put together a super bowl roster.. even selecting Michael fucking Haynes in 2003 with the #4 pick ?

this is how bad pace is.

Haynes was not the 4th pick

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see Pace as much safer than Nagy. The McCaskey's seem to have faith in Pace, but another lower 20's offense will make it a difficult justification for keeping Nagy around. Even if George doesn't pressure Pace to fire Nagy, Pace may himself feel his offensive picks are being wasted with the poorly run haphazard offense that Nagy runs, so another bad season would mean two layers that Nagy would have to fleece into another season as HC. Also, he would be going into 2022 as a lame duck coach, that rarely is done , typically you need to extend or cut bait going into a contract year on a HC.
Well said. I agree.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
From Jahns of The Athletic this morning:

”Bears chairman George McCaskey once promised Pace that he’d be patient with his work in charge of his team’s football operations. The question now is whether that patience reloads with Fields’ arrival after what happened with Trubisky and Nagy.

But if you trusted Pace and Nagy to trade up for Fields, then you should trust their plan for him, too. Firing them after this season and starting Fields over with a new GM, a new coach, a new offensive coordinator and new position coach feels shortsighted but also something like the Bears would do because they’ve made similar moves in the past.

After Trubisky’s first season, John Fox was fired and Nagy was hired. After Jay Cutler’s debut season with the Bears in 2008, Mike Martz replaced Ron Turner. Cutler then outlasted the coaching regimes of Smith, Marc Trestman and Fox but also GMs Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery.

After Rex Grossman’s rookie season in 2003, Angelo fired coach Dick Jauron and offensive coordinator John Shoop after a 7-9 season and brought in Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Terry Shea. The latter lasted only one season before being replaced by Turner.

Providing Fields with some organizational stability should be a goal for, well, the entire Bears organization. For many reasons, that’s been difficult for the team. But like everything, it starts at the top with McCaskey and president Ted Phillips. See where I’m going with this?

Fields arguably has the talent to transcend who coaches him or who runs the Bears’ personnel department. But the bold thing for the Bears to do, based on what they’ve done before, would be to see things through with Pace and Nagy this season, next season and maybe even one more. Perhaps the organization’s patience could finally pay off.”

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't have but 1 big problem with this duo, Nagy needs to give up play calling, the O was much, much better after he did last year. When in the recent past have the bears scored 30+ points so often? Look at TD's before and after, same story. Pace has missed on a lot of 1st round picks but go look at many other teams and the same can be said but it's not talked about. Maybe half of all 1st rounders don't make it, look it up. Pace is great with lower round picks. Nagy is a good team leader and motivator, just can't call plays. I think changing the management at this point only hampers or delays Fields progress.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
The consensus is that Pace is a safer bet to return than Nagy. But how can the bears justify or sell to the local media and fanbase that he deserves to hire a 3rd coach? The bears have won jack shit under Pace.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The consensus is that Pace is a safer bet to return than Nagy. But how can the bears justify or sell to the local media and fanbase that he deserves to hire a 3rd coach? The bears have won jack shit under Pace.

They will probably still be too busy counting money (and laughing at the NFLPA) to really care if fans/media are sold on more Pace, tbh. You'll get a word salad press conference and that will be it.

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think he’s absolutely right. Pace got hired to rebuild the Bears, not just the team, the whole stinking organization.
the only change this off season will be Ted Philips retiring or moved to an “honorary” role…
This was said last season, and didn't happen.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
2 out of the last 3 years in the playoffs. Also, Pace didn’t hire Fox. He was given him as a inexperienced GM.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
2 out of the last 3 years in the playoffs. Also, Pace didn’t hire Fox. He was given him as a inexperienced GM.
This is dumb. They backed in as a 7th seed. Have some damn perspective.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This is dumb. They backed in as a 7th seed. Have some damn perspective.
A 7th seed made the playoffs last year. And unlike Nagy, Pace can take credit for the defense carrying the team at times…

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
A 7th seed made the playoffs last year. And unlike Nagy, Pace can take credit for the defense carrying the team at times…
and if it were the year before they wouldn't be a playoff team. Again, backing in. Pace has had 6 years to build a real competitor and he hasn't. Zero excuse for him to still be here.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
and if it were the year before they wouldn't be a playoff team. Again, backing in. Pace has had 6 years to build a real competitor and he hasn't. Zero excuse for him to still be here.
And more than half the teams in the league weren’t even able to back in.

There’s zero excuses for 90% of this board to still be here whining every day, but yet here you all are…