I’m eating crow on Daboll

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Earlier, I made a post where I said, “Fuck Daboll.” I was wrong. I am wrong. And I will now eat my crow.

I thought he was a pass happy dude who ran a dime offense in the cold of Buffalo. He is more complex than that.

I am now throwing in my support for him as my top candidate.

1.) Daboll
2.) Hackett
3.) Leftwich

I don’t want a revolving door at OC. We can plug and play on D for a while or keep Desai. We can’t afford to get Fields wrong or do him wrong.

mom another not, I think the 49ers may cause an upset next week and a Hackett meltdown.

I was wrong. I’m eating crow. Serve it up cold!

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I like Daboll, and I'm fine if he's the hire, but I think it's hilarious that people watched that game and thought "wow, what an offensive coordinator!"

Josh Allen played one of the greatest games I've ever seen, he was making throws few quarterbacks could, breaking tackles and making guys miss as a runner.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don’t understand how people are so high on Leftwich when he works with the greatest QB to ever play the game.

id be hugely concerned that he’s just riding the coat tails of Brady. That and he’s very young in his career.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There are a couple of things that impress me about Daboll that I didn't know earlier in the season.

The first is that coming out of New England, he already went through his "I didn't know what I was doing" phase a lot of coordinators go through, when they try to emulate the head coach they served under, usually to great failure, and then finally figured it out and evolved from that, with provable results in Alabama and Buffalo.

One of the issues with going after a guru is they haven't been around the league enough to really learn the craft, and instead are just a xerox of a system - but they don't really know what makes it tick.

Daboll struggled with that already and overcame it, which makes me less scared that he'd get hit with it again. He's already learned the most important lesson in the NFL - how to adapt.

That leads me in to the second impressive thing - he's build 2 very different offenses when in Alabama and Buffalo. Combine that with everyone saying he builds his offenses around his players, and you have someone who is more than a playbook, and more than a one trick pony.

I feel like this is someone who is a strong enough coach that he can adapt and actually grow as a coach, not because we hope he can, but because he already has in his career. It tremendously manages the risk of whether a head coach works out.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I don’t understand how people are so high on Leftwich when he works with the greatest QB to ever play the game.

id be hugely concerned that he’s just riding the coat tails of Brady. That and he’s very young in his career.

My biggest concern is his lack of experience. He's been coaching since 2017, and not only has he had the luxury of Brady but even if he's calling plays it's still Arians' offense. I guess he's like taking a player in the draft who hasn't played much but has all the measurables. Seems like a good guy and coach but I have serious questions if he's ready.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
My biggest concern is his lack of experience. He's been coaching since 2017, and not only has he had the luxury of Brady but even if he's calling plays it's still Arians' offense. I guess he's like taking a player in the draft who hasn't played much but has all the measurables. Seems like a good guy and coach but I have serious questions if he's ready.
Yeah, that seems like a huge leap from coordinating some else’s offense to managing an entire team as a HC.

I think many forget that when need a HC, not just an OC…

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I like Daboll, and I'm fine if he's the hire, but I think it's hilarious that people watched that game and thought "wow, what an offensive coordinator!"

Josh Allen played one of the greatest games I've ever seen, he was making throws few quarterbacks could, breaking tackles and making guys miss as a runner.
My turnaround has much less to do with this win and more to do with Daboll’s ability to adapt and grow as an OC.

Listening to this podcast today, I realized I saw him as one dimensional. He isn’t just a pass guy. He actually uses fullbacks! Yeah, my man Ben “the motherfucking savage” Mason is on the roster. I look forward to seeing him smash dudes.

Now, the idea of a HC that actually develops a QB is very alluring. He’s now my dude.

My man Faiz
also agrees. So, I am going with Daboll.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It’s Brice Arians offense. Look it up.

or have you forgotten how the whole Matt Nagy circus played out already?

Matt Nagy called plays for 6 games. Leftwich has called plays for about 56 games. That is not comparable. This would be like saying someone who ran West Coast O was running Bill Walsh's offense. Who cares? All that matters is whether they called the plays.

Also his lack of experience is a bit overstated. 9 years as a QB running offenses in the NFL including the last 4 as essentially a QB coach as the backup QB is pretty much equivalent experience to someone being a position coach. Leftwich had to learn all those different offenses and more importantly over the course of his playing career had to ensure all his teammates knew and understood the offense.

I would say having actual NFL QB experience is more relevant than simply being an offensive quality control assistant or a TE coach like some of these other guys have to fill out years on their resume. He has practical hands on experience in addition to his coaching experience.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Winston/Fitzpatrick had better numbers the year before. More TDs, less INTs, higher YPA.

Also, if he gets credit for yards/points he gets blame for 30 INTs. Can't have it both ways.

36 TDs and 24 Ints vs 33 TDs and 30 ints. I think what that shows is Winston always had int issues. Also the 2019 Bucs actually scored 28.6 points per game while the 2018 Bucs scored only 24.8. So the fact is the offense overall was still better by almost a full 4 points.

Well I think it depends. If the yards and TDs are coming from guys being open then the scheme gets the credit. If they are coming from the QB having to improvise or throw in tight windows then it is probably the QB. Likewise if the Ints are just bad throws then that is on the QB. If they are because guys are always covered then it is on the scheme.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Leftwich had a top 5 offense without Brady. look it up
It’s Brice Arians offense. Look it up.

or have you forgotten how the whole Matt Nagy circus played out already?

Leftwich has proven to be able too craft an offense around 2 different Qb's and remain in the top 5.
I don't about BRICE'S offense :unsure::) . But who doesn't take from others when it comes to offensive scheme.
Actually, Leftwich tweaked the offense to not include all those " no risk it, no biscuit it" low % deep throws.

No I haven't "forgotten how the whole Matt Nagy circus". And I don't lump Leftwich in with a former mediocre, arena football league Qb, turned R.E. agent. Leftwich was a quality college & pro Qb ( this can definitely help Fields' development). Lets be clear....... I was never in favor of Nagy coming here.

Leftwich is a respected leader. Nagy was never a leader. He lost the locker room and had a 3rd string Qb ( Foles) questioning his offense publicly. SMH. Nagy never crafted a high scoring offense around the existing talent. I see no comparisons with Nagy & Leftwich.

Les Grossman said
Yeah, that seems like a huge leap from coordinating some else’s offense to managing an entire team as a HC.
Seems like a good guy and coach but I have serious questions if he's ready.

The majority of new non HC experienced hires bring someone "else’s offense". Now the good ones make changes to fit the existing talent. You've got ppl out here pumping Kellen Moore for HC, yet he doesn't have anywhere near the experience nor the resume of a Leftwich.

I don't get some of push back on Leftwich. When ya get ppl like joe judge( Giants) and Dan Campbell ( Lions) getting HC jobs SMH

Last edited:

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Leftwich has proven to be able too craft an offense around 2 different Qb's and remain in the top 5.
I don't about BRICE'S offense :unsure::) . But who doesn't take from others when it comes to offensive scheme.
Actually, Leftwich tweaked the offense to not include all those " no risk it, no biscuit it" low % deep throws.

No I haven't "forgotten how the whole Matt Nagy circus". And I don't lump Leftwich in with a former mediocre, arena football league Qb, turned R.E. agent. Leftwich was a quality college & pro Qb ( this can definitely help Fields' development). Lets be clear....... I was never in favor of Nagy coming here.

Leftwich is a respected leader. Nagy was never a leader. He lost the locker room and had a 3rd string Qb ( Foles) questioning his offense publicly. SMH. Nagy never crafted a high scoring offense around the existing talent. I see no comparisons with Nagy & Leftwich.

The majority of new non HC experienced hires bring someone "else’s offense". Now the good ones make changes to fit the existing talent. You've got ppl out here pumping Kellen Moore for HC, yet he doesn't have anywhere near the experience nor the resume of a Leftwich.

I don't get some of push back on Leftwich. When ya get ppl like joe judge( Giants) and Dan Campbell ( Lions) getting HC jobs
And do you think Campbell and Judge are good HCs…?

(good star for responding to my typo…)