I’ve Had It With This Bunch

HankSauered

Liked Posts:
5 losses in a row, 2 shutouts in a row. How can a team turn so bad so fast? The key players are suppose to be in their prime years. Hendricks stinks now. Rizzo and Baez basically worthless. No one can hit on this team consistently. Bryant, well, OK, he is doing his share, until he gets hurt again. The pitching is atrocious. Kimbrel found his touch and now they never can use him. They always trail late. Maybe they need Joe to come back with a Magic Show or some Cub Bears to play with to loosen them up. ??

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
As a White Sox fan, I think it's awesome that they want to highlight Rizzo striking someone out when they are down 10-0.

Bust

Liked Posts:
5 losses in a row, 2 shutouts in a row. How can a team turn so bad so fast? The key players are suppose to be in their prime years. Hendricks stinks now. Rizzo and Baez basically worthless. No one can hit on this team consistently. Bryant, well, OK, he is doing his share, until he gets hurt again. The pitching is atrocious. Kimbrel found his touch and now they never can use him. They always trail late. Maybe they need Joe to come back with a Magic Show or some Cub Bears to play with to loosen them up. ??

Didn't Hendricks just sign a 4 year extension? uh oh

hankchifan

Liked Posts:
They are last in the NL in both pitching and hitting. Embarrassing. On the other side of town the White Sox are rolling.

hankchifan

Liked Posts:
They are last in the NL in both pitching and hitting. Embarrassing. On the other side of town the White Sox are rolling.
If the Cubs were a major league soccer team in most countries they could possibly be facing relegation to the minor leagues for next season.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not even trying to be a dick when I ask this but why does everyone who gets fed up with a team feel the need to go to a board for that team and tell everyone who is there they are done with said team? Like I genuinely don't get it. When I lost interest in the bears and football in general I just moved on. I didn't feel a need to go over to the bears board..

As it pertains to the cubs... i mean their current state isn't the issue. The issue was they should have won more in previous years. Teams go through these cycles so it was bound to happen eventually. I'm just glad they didn't try to wallpaper over the cracks the past couple of years with big money signings because after this season they basically are free of most of their bad contracts. Off the top of my head, I think Heyward is the only super bad one on the books and people really over state how bad his contract is. Like don't get me wrong it's by no means good. But people act like his contract is Chris Davis' contract. At the very least heyward gives you defense and a replacement level bat. Davis isn't either of those things and makes more.

HankSauered

Liked Posts:
Not even trying to be a dick when I ask this but why does everyone who gets fed up with a team feel the need to go to a board for that team and tell everyone who is there they are done with said team? Like I genuinely don't get it. When I lost interest in the bears and football in general I just moved on. I didn't feel a need to go over to the bears board..

As it pertains to the cubs... i mean their current state isn't the issue. The issue was they should have won more in previous years. Teams go through these cycles so it was bound to happen eventually. I'm just glad they didn't try to wallpaper over the cracks the past couple of years with big money signings because after this season they basically are free of most of their bad contracts. Off the top of my head, I think Heyward is the only super bad one on the books and people really over state how bad his contract is. Like don't get me wrong it's by no means good. But people act like his contract is Chris Davis' contract. At the very least heyward gives you defense and a replacement level bat. Davis isn't either of those things and makes more.
To answer your question: That's what message boards are for. To express feelings and generate discussion with others who feel that way or another. Here is a question for you: Why do SOME people concern themselves with how much Billionaire Owners spend on contracts for their teams? Let them pay for what they think will be decent talent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

They are bad because Jed was forced to reduce payroll and traded their ace. His replacement sucks.

They are worse because the cheap production that they enjoyed for years is expensive now causing Jed to go cheap on pitching. Before he could invest there. Now he had to add Jake and Trevor to back fill Q and Chatwood.

Beck is right saying that losing contract will be a good thing. It opens up opertunity to invest into players that fit the desired mold vs over paying for underperformance.

Now getting to the team:

Matt Duffy has added a needed contact bat in the line up. He holds little power but really fills a need with Joc injured. Far better that Bote has done.

This allows Jed to trade his biggest trade chip in Bryant. I'm pretty sure that this team is going to end up as a sub .500 team in June and Jed might as well sink the boat get so talent and a better draft pick.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The final tally on Jake Arrieta’s velocity last night was that it was down, on average, 1.5 mph on the sinker. In fact, pretty much everything was down last night, including his spin rates (significantly down, actually). I noticed the velo live while watching, and got curious about the spin rates after seeing Arrieta get thumped.

Turns out, there was a good reason for the issues: Arrieta was pitching through a cut on his thumb.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
They are bad because Jed was forced to reduce payroll and traded their ace. His replacement sucks.

They are worse because the cheap production that they enjoyed for years is expensive now causing Jed to go cheap on pitching. Before he could invest there. Now he had to add Jake and Trevor to back fill Q and Chatwood.

Beck is right saying that losing contract will be a good thing. It opens up opertunity to invest into players that fit the desired mold vs over paying for underperformance.

Now getting to the team:

Matt Duffy has added a needed contact bat in the line up. He holds little power but really fills a need with Joc injured. Far better that Bote has done.

This allows Jed to trade his biggest trade chip in Bryant. I'm pretty sure that this team is going to end up as a sub .500 team in June and Jed might as well sink the boat get so talent and a better draft pick.
They would have been bad with darvish too

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They would have been bad with darvish too
With Darvish the Padres are 5-1 and he has a 2.13 ERA
With Davies the Cubs are 3-3 and he has a 8.80 ERA.

The Cubs would be 14-13 right now.

So you are kinda right but having a legit Ace causes a trickle down effect.

Kyle is not a ace. He is supporting cast. Jake has been an ace and has taken on the roll again in a deminished capacity. Jake is not a ace anymore but knows how to pull those pants on.

So having a legit Ace reduces pressure to the rotation. Kyle would match up against other #2's. Jake would match up against #3 starters and so on.

But to be fair it is not all on Davies. The Cubs are 1-4 with Kyle. At least they have won with Davies. But Davies is matching up against back of the rotation types. Hendricks top of the rotation. That is the record difference.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Or maybe it’s just the law of averages catching up to Jake. He wasn’t going to be a 3 ERA guy. His recent history tells you that, along with his FIP. Now his ERA is right about where it was expected to be, just over 4

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Also, side note....while Happ and Joc have negative WAR so far this season, Kyle schwarber now has two walk off homers on the season and a positive WAR

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Little list.

Duffy: extend (3B)
Bote: trade
Marisnick: extend (CF)
Rizzo: trade
Baez: trade
Bryant: extend (1B)
Happ: trade
Howard: stuck with him 2 more years. (RF)
Contreras: extend (C)
Sogard: let go
Pederson: retain (LF)
Nico: (SS)
F/A replacements:
2B Starlin Castro. He hits for a good BA. .350 OBA now.

Pitching:
Davies: trade
Williams: cut
Arrieta: extend
Alzolay: retain
Hendricks: retain
Thompson make into starter
Kimbrel: retain

Cubs still need a legit Ace. They have 2-5. Even Maquez will need time and he would back fill Jake in 2022.

The guys to target in F/A. Rondon, Thor, Gray. I wouldn't go after the last stop bunch

This would solve a bit of the Cub line up issues. Lack of contact hitting. Duffy has been refreshing to a team that has far too much HR only in it

But Duffy, Hoerner, Marisnick, Castro balances the line up. They would still have a power core of Bryant, Contreras, Pederson. Heyward they are stuck with and becomes a 8th hitter fixture.

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
SELL to a team like the Angels have deep pockets and desperate to win. They have both Ohtani and Trout in their primes and are sitting in last place again. They signed the Cubs own Quintana and last I looked up his stats he had pitched 20 innings, gave up 26 hits with a 9.00 era.

Angels would probably trade for Cubs pitching, guy like Jake has a cheap 1 year deal. Dangle Bryant too!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SELL to a team like the Angels have deep pockets and desperate to win. They have both Ohtani and Trout in their primes and are sitting in last place again. They signed the Cubs own Quintana and last I looked up his stats he had pitched 20 innings, gave up 26 hits with a 9.00 era.

Angels would probably trade for Cubs pitching, guy like Jake has a cheap 1 year deal. Dangle Bryant too!

Angels need a overhaul. They are beyond a small fix.