I didn't want to admit this, but Kahlil Mack is pretty ordinary at this point.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He’s not even remotely close to 2018 form. We had a dominant one year rental and an average player since.

LOL Nope!

In four years with the Raiders Mack had 9 forced fumbles. 2.25 per year
In three years with the Bears Mack has had 14 forced fumbles. 4.66 per year

Fix your calculator.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
McVay called rollouts cause he’s worried of the bears pass rush. The first big TD he rolled out far away from Mack and threw across the field. Most of the big plays came outside of the pocket. One big play Mack was in coverage… he’s still making an impact, just in different ways. But he’s absolutely not ‘18 Mack.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jesus Christ guys he had 9 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and an INT last season and he just turned 30.

He may not be the player he was in 2018 but the reports of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
Not death... decline

The issue is that his decline is going to match up to 30 million dollar uncutable cap hits.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Not death... decline

The issue is that his decline is going to match up to 30 million dollar uncutable cap hits.
Don’t talk cap numbers around here. They take it personally when you say it will hurt future years

kalmavet

Liked Posts:
No offense, but I hope this ages poorly! I think he's still impacting games, but not in the ways that were so clear in 2018 and certainly not enough for his looming cap hit. Therein lies the real problem. Fuller was never going to be on this roster at 20m in 2021. Mack's cap hit is 30m in 2022, but that deal has years left, unlike Fuller's

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Imagine being one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL and you're traded to a team that has one of the best coordinators in the league. He leaves and you're left with Matt Nagy and Chuck Pagano/Desai. Your quarterback(s) are:

Mitch, Foles and now Dalton. Powerhouse of an offense.

You have no help inside, your NT has been MIA for a season and your other interior linemen get stupid penalties or are MIA as well. But yeah, it's all Mack.
:jonesy:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
No doubt that is an issue but OP suggested he may not even be an average OLB, which is a ridiculous statement, and the one to which I responded.

Production vs cap hit is one argument, but calling Khalil Mack "ordinary" and a "below average starting OLB" is plain dumb. If he got cut today teams would be beating down the door of his agent to sign him.

jonimus

Liked Posts:
It ain’t just Mack. Our top 5 salary hits are as follows

Mack 14 million
Quin 14 million
Hicks 12 million
Goldman 8
Eddie Jackson 5 million

none of them are performing at all.

I take issue with Hicks on this list. He plays his butt off and is a beast. He has shown with and without star players around him. We keep waiting/expecting a dramatic decline and it doesn't/hasn't happened.

Also Goldman - he has missed one game to injury and wasn't paid last year, so let's wait and see. When he played this preseason, he still looked like a beast.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He gained alot of bad weight. He came into NFL svelt and chiseled.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
He is older and declining.

This is the issue with constantly moving money into the backend of deals. Mack's deal is going to be an anchor if he does not improve his play.
Yep. It may be time to start to entertain some trade offers for him. It also does not help that the Bears continue to throw Quinn out on the field because of his contract and he just flat out sucks and brings nothing from the other side.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Hey, Quinn got half a sack last game. He's on track for 8.5 sacks this season (obvious sarcasm).

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The best part of the story is...that is mostly due to a third restructuring of his contract so the Bears could lock in Eddie Jackson for years to come.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It was a worthwhile trade. Bears could have won a title with that defense.

The contract is the problem.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
My only hope is Mack, Jackson, Goldman, Quinn, and Hicks can take this National media beating and find some pride to play up to their contracts. Mack has not lived up to his price tag these last few years. Quinn and Jackson forgot they actually have to earn that big check they cash and Hicks has to be the anchor these guys need to pull this together. Pride should be everything.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's true that Mack is a shell of his younger self. It happens, football is a physical game and he will likely never play near the ability of the Mack 3-4 years ago. The contract is unmoveable but at least Mack is a good dude who works his ass off.

Let's face it, the defense is not good and they are old. It needs to be rebuilt with a youth movement. Mack will have to stay, everyone else must go.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
He lost out on a bunch of sacks and turnovers last year because the rest of the jokers on our team were constantly getting flagged and negating impact plays.

I was happy to see improvement there, but the D as a whole looked lost.

Mack will be fine. Donald didn't do much that have either it's only week one Jesus
I hate it when people use that excuse. Big plays get wiped out for every player every year. What a stupid thing to say. Fact of the matter is those stats and plays didn't happen. Move on. He's not worth the money.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Imagine being one of the elite pass rushers in the NFL and you're traded to a team that has one of the best coordinators in the league. He leaves and you're left with Matt Nagy and Chuck Pagano/Desai. Your quarterback(s) are:

Mitch, Foles and now Dalton. Powerhouse of an offense.

You have no help inside, your NT has been MIA for a season and your other interior linemen get stupid penalties or are MIA as well. But yeah, it's all Mack.
:jonesy:

That's not true. In 18 and 20 Hicks helped Mack a lot. 19 he was out most of the year.