I have followed Andy Dalton for his entire career. Here is the scoop on Dalton.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
My problem is that Foles and AD are practically the same player, they both need substantial protection to succeed, so what was the point, other than Andy is a "great guy"?

I know that Foles and Nagy seem to butt heads last year so maybe that is the reason, all I know is that it appears to be $10M on a QB that may only be fractionally better than Foles.

And maybe Foles was always a part of the offer to Seattle and Houston as a bridge to their next QB?

Luke

Liked Posts:
When Dalton was “good“, the offense was absolutely stacked. For a 2-3 year window around 2015, the Bengals had the best roster in the league. Top offensive line, great Wr’s, good defense, and he still couldn’t even sniff a playoff win. The one time the Bengals actually almost pulled off a playoff win was with AJ Mckraken at QB.

Now Dalton is older, lost some of his athleticism which was one of his few positives, and is in a much worse situation. This is gonna be ugly.

Its hard to believe that it could be any more ugly than we saw the last 2 years and you knew Mitch wasn't coming back so who was the alternative?

I saw you were drinking the RW fantasy kool aid but that never made any sense for Seattle.

Dalton did play pretty well when he came back from covid and concussion protocol to throw for 13 tds, 5 ints, 95.1 rating going 4-3 in the last 7 games on a shitty Cowboy team.

And unlike Mitch, this was against some good defenses so I choose to try to keep some shred of hope that Lazor will call all the plays and that they will run a balanced offense instead of the shit that Nagy calls.

Are they going to contend for anything, nope but maybe they can become more bearable to watch from week to week.

Such is the life of a Bears fan.

DVOA's
Min 18
Wash 3
Balt 9
SF 6
Phi 15
NYG 19
Cin 27

Mitch's last 3 wins and the Detroit loss before the Fudgie debacle
Hou 30
Min 18
Jax 31
Det 32

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Its hard to believe that it could be any more ugly than we saw the last 2 years and you knew Mitch wasn't coming back so who was the alternative?

I saw you were drinking the RW fantasy kool aid but that never made any sense for Seattle.

Dalton did play pretty well when he came back from covid and concussion protocol to throw for 13 tds, 5 ints, 95.1 rating going 4-3 in the last 7 games on a shitty Cowboy team.

And unlike Mitch, this was against some good defenses so I choose to try to keep some shred of hope that Lazor will call all the plays and that they will run a balanced offense instead of the shit that Nagy calls.

Are they going to contend for anything, nope. but maybe they can become more bearable to watch from week to week.

Such is the life of a Bears fan.

DVOA's
Min 18
Wash 3
Balt 9
SF 6
Phi 15
NYG 19
Cin 27

Mitch's last 4 wins
Hou 30
Min 18
Jax 31
Det 32
take away Detroit.......the Bears lost to them in Soldier Field.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
My problem is that Foles and AD are practically the same player, they both need substantial protection to succeed, so what was the point, other than Andy is a "great guy"?

I know that Foles and Nagy seem to butt heads last year so maybe that is the reason, all I know is that it appears to be $10M on a QB that may only be fractionally better than Foles.

And maybe Foles was always a part of the offer to Seattle and Houston as a bridge to their next QB?
Every quarterback needs substantial protection to succeed. Even the mobile quarterbacks. Without it even the best quarterbacks crumble.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
thanks, fixed it. 3 game win streak but he did have good numbers against that vaunted Lion defense in the loss.
Yep. Except for that damn fumble..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The numbers in dalton's 0-4 playoff background don't lie. One Td vs 6 ints over 4 playoff games. Lewis fell on the sword for that performance. You know what I say, show me a "bad HC" and I'll show u his bad Qb

View attachment 10824
So you're saying Lewis is an idiot for starting Dalton for 8 years. Dalton has also been to 3 Pro Bowls. Doesn't mean that much and perhaps overrated but he clearly didn't suck those years. This team isn't that one and I expect meh play but that's better than we've had. Dalton will make mistakes but hopefully he stays aggressive and not turtle like ours did last year. Files lack of mobility and slow release was an issue. Dalton is not especially mobile but he can run the O as designed.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm cautiously optimistic about Dalton.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Every quarterback needs substantial protection to succeed. Even the mobile quarterbacks. Without it even the best quarterbacks crumble.
Hard to argue after what we saw in the Superbowl.... But I do stick by my guns when I emphasis that neither Dalton or Foles can make even average protection work, they both need more, and Pace has for some reason ignored the Tackle positions for too many years.

However I do have hope that because he has found some decent interior linemen, perhaps he might, if he focuses, be able to find at least 1 tackle that will be able to compete/win a starting job.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The numbers in dalton's 0-4 playoff background don't lie. One Td vs 6 ints over 4 playoff games. Lewis fell on the sword for that performance. You know what I say, show me a "bad HC" and I'll show u his bad Qb

Dalton
View attachment 10824

So you're saying Lewis is an idiot for starting Dalton for 8 years. Dalton has also been to 3 Pro Bowls. Doesn't mean that much and perhaps overrated but he clearly didn't suck those years. This team isn't that one and I expect meh play but that's better than we've had. Dalton will make mistakes but hopefully he stays aggressive and not turtle like ours did last year. Files lack of mobility and slow release was an issue. Dalton is not especially mobile but he can run the O as designed.

If it were me at HC I would've benched both of them. BUT....we don't know what the GM and or ownership wanted. I read
where the GM has a lotta control in Cinn.

Carson Palmer.....
1616096887137.png

tcmtrinity

Liked Posts:
Dalton's a pretty bas ass name. Wasn't that Patrick Swayze's character in Road House?

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dalton's a pretty bas ass name. Wasn't that Patrick Swayze's character in Road House?

tenor.gif

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You are getting a very good QB, a GREAT man, a true leader.

Andy Dalton fits in very well with The City of Big Shoulders and how the world views the Chicago Bears franchise. Tough. Strong. Durable. Dependable. WINNER.

Andy is a hyper-accurate QB, primarily in the short to mid-ranges. He has a decent deep ball, not fantastic, but good. He sees the field. He knows the defenses. He is very smart.

He is a very good decision maker. He keeps mistakes to a minimum. He knows when to throw the ball away. He manages the game well.

What does he not do that well? He does not scramble very well. He is not an explosive runner. He is pretty fast, but has no wiggle. "Escapability" is not a strength. He is not a showboat kind of guy, and won't be flexing or screaming or talking trash (if you're looking for that kind thing).

His career at Cincinnati was mixed. It started off awesome. Carson Palmer basically quit the team and Dalton (fresh off of a Rose Bowl win for the TCU Horned Frogs over the Wisconsin Badgers) was thrown into the mix. He didn't even have the opportunity to be the starter in training camp. But he led the team to a winning season and a playoff appearance in his rookie year.

The first five years in Cincinnati were pretty great. He did great things for the franchise. While they went to the playoffs five times in a row under Dalton, he only played in four playoff games. He lost his big chance to win a playoff game in 2015 because he tore a ligament in his thumb right before the playoffs. A. J. McCarron lost that game. That was their best team and Andy's best chance. The first four playoff games were not great by Dalton, but really the team choked as a whole. You may remember that the Bengals were a really punky team in those days, and tons of personal fouls and rotten play, especially on defense, lost many of those games. Dalton played well in two of those games, played average in one, didn't play well in another, and again didn't get to play the fifth.

The next four seasons sucked. Dalton persevered, but the team fell apart. He had no offensive line protection, few good weapons, tons of injuries around him, and a freaking coaching carousel.

The ownership group is terrible in Cinci, and the management is worse. I think Dalton had a different offensive coordinator every year for five or more of his years there. Of course, the fans are also pretty rotten, and Dalton got little support from the carousel of coaches, the management, or the fans.

Despite all that, Dalton put together the longest playoff appearance streak in Bengals history, and holds most of their franchise QB records. He remained durable, consistent, and an altogether good to very good QB during his nine years there. On top of it all, Andy and his wife formed the Andy and JJ Dalton Foundation, and they dedicated significant amounts of time and money to helping families of sick children with their hospital bills and overall quality of life. The big thrust of the foundation is to give fun experiences, date nights, and other social boosts to those grieving families. They have improved tens of thousands of lives with that Foundation. It is truly remarkable, and unusually effective compared to most foundations you see out there. Really a first-rate outfit. Andy and his wife give sacrificially with their money. It's cool to watch.

Dalton's 10th season was with the Cowboys. He did pretty well, but as you know, most of the time he was "protected" by an offensive line made up of second and third teamers. I don't think he had the same line from week to week until near the end of the season. He had no time to throw, and the offensive coordinator Kellen Moore had to revamp the offense to change it to a quick-hitting offense, as Dalton typically had anywhere from 1.8 to 2.3 seconds to get the ball off.

The Head Coach of the Cowboys had nothing but good things to say about Dalton. Here's something cool: Apparently Dalton has kept notebooks of every single team and defensive coordinator he has faced in 10 years in the league. It is a treasure trove of information; schemes, plays that were effective, plays that were not effective, player breakdowns, coaching tendencies, everything. He approaches every game like he is a coach. Consummate professional, very diligent. Nobody works harder. First in the facility in the morning, last to leave.

If you will just give this guy a chance, and an offensive line to give him more than 2.3 seconds to throw the damned ball, Andy Dalton will deliver for you. He is a very good NFL QB, especially if he has a line to protect him. He is not Tom Brady, but he is light years better than Foles, Trubisky, or any of the other knuckleheads that you have been living with for the last 20 years in Chicago.

Last word: I am really excited that Andy is going to Chicago. I have liked the Bears since '85. I really love Chicago as a city. I live in Fort Worth and became a Dalton fan because of TCU. But I will be traveling up there to some games this year. The Bears are about to be the new favorite team in our household.

They don't make better people than the Dalton family. Give this guy a chance, some line protection, and some support, and he will make you proud.
Hey man, where have you been? Very odd timing that you haven't been posting since Dalton has been shitting ginger down his leg.

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I haven’t really posted here that much, even after Dalton had the good game against the Lions. Seems like you guys are more interested in tearing everybody down and saying horrible things to each other than you are talking football. Frankly that’s not my favorite thing to do, so that’s why you haven’t seen me much.

in terms of Dalton‘s performance last weekend, I was really disappointed, as I’m sure he was. I thought the first interception was ugly, I thought the second interception was the tight end’s fault, I thought the third and fourth interceptions were partially Andy’s fault. Certainly there were a lot of conditions working against him, bad offensive line play, broken helmet, wet ball, poor receiver play, excellent Cards defense.

Thats a lot to overcome and AD could not overcome it. He had some spectacular plays as well. Tough loss. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt his chances to land on a good team next year.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is a great and accurate post. Thank you so much and welcome to the Chicago Bear family. I am very excited for Andy!
Lol come on my dude

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Honestly, I haven’t really posted here that much, even after Dalton had the good game against the Lions. Seems like you guys are more interested in tearing everybody down and saying horrible things to each other than you are talking football. Frankly that’s not my favorite thing to do, so that’s why you haven’t seen me much.

in terms of Dalton‘s performance last weekend, I was really disappointed, as I’m sure he was. I thought the first interception was ugly, I thought the second interception was the tight end’s fault, I thought the third and fourth interceptions were partially Andy’s fault. Certainly there were a lot of conditions working against him, bad offensive line play, broken helmet, wet ball, poor receiver play, excellent Cards defense.

Thats a lot to overcome and AD could not overcome it. He had some spectacular plays as well. Tough loss. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt his chances to land on a good team next year.
Good game against the Lions? When? He’ll be on a team next year, as a backup because he is mediocre