I have followed Andy Dalton for his entire career. Here is the scoop on Dalton.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Yeah I get it. But from where I sit, it seems the Bears are rebuilding, and getting a stud like Wilson would have cost so much money and draft picks, you'd be set back for years. I think Dalton is a decent fit here, if you are trying to reverse a negative culture and build a winning culture. Spend your draft picks wisely, bring in some offensive linemen in free agency, and you've got something.
Agree with most of that. The problem though isn’t the culture. Pace and Nagy have their flaws, but they have managed to build a tight locker room with little drama (or so it seems). Their defense is also very good and the offense has a few pieces to work with. It’s the QB, as it’s been for decades, that is the missing piece. Hopefully Dalton can at least provide some stability there.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
You are getting a very good QB, a GREAT man, a true leader.

Andy Dalton fits in very well with The City of Big Shoulders and how the world views the Chicago Bears franchise. Tough. Strong. Durable. Dependable. WINNER.

Andy is a hyper-accurate QB, primarily in the short to mid-ranges. He has a decent deep ball, not fantastic, but good. He sees the field. He knows the defenses. He is very smart.

He is a very good decision maker. He keeps mistakes to a minimum. He knows when to throw the ball away. He manages the game well.

What does he not do that well? He does not scramble very well. He is not an explosive runner. He is pretty fast, but has no wiggle. "Escapability" is not a strength. He is not a showboat kind of guy, and won't be flexing or screaming or talking trash (if you're looking for that kind thing).

His career at Cincinnati was mixed. It started off awesome. Carson Palmer basically quit the team and Dalton (fresh off of a Rose Bowl win for the TCU Horned Frogs over the Wisconsin Badgers) was thrown into the mix. He didn't even have the opportunity to be the starter in training camp. But he led the team to a winning season and a playoff appearance in his rookie year.

The first five years in Cincinnati were pretty great. He did great things for the franchise. While they went to the playoffs five times in a row under Dalton, he only played in four playoff games. He lost his big chance to win a playoff game in 2015 because he tore a ligament in his thumb right before the playoffs. A. J. McCarron lost that game. That was their best team and Andy's best chance. The first four playoff games were not great by Dalton, but really the team choked as a whole. You may remember that the Bengals were a really punky team in those days, and tons of personal fouls and rotten play, especially on defense, lost many of those games. Dalton played well in two of those games, played average in one, didn't play well in another, and again didn't get to play the fifth.

The next four seasons sucked. Dalton persevered, but the team fell apart. He had no offensive line protection, few good weapons, tons of injuries around him, and a freaking coaching carousel.

The ownership group is terrible in Cinci, and the management is worse. I think Dalton had a different offensive coordinator every year for five or more of his years there. Of course, the fans are also pretty rotten, and Dalton got little support from the carousel of coaches, the management, or the fans.

Despite all that, Dalton put together the longest playoff appearance streak in Bengals history, and holds most of their franchise QB records. He remained durable, consistent, and an altogether good to very good QB during his nine years there. On top of it all, Andy and his wife formed the Andy and JJ Dalton Foundation, and they dedicated significant amounts of time and money to helping families of sick children with their hospital bills and overall quality of life. The big thrust of the foundation is to give fun experiences, date nights, and other social boosts to those grieving families. They have improved tens of thousands of lives with that Foundation. It is truly remarkable, and unusually effective compared to most foundations you see out there. Really a first-rate outfit. Andy and his wife give sacrificially with their money. It's cool to watch.

Dalton's 10th season was with the Cowboys. He did pretty well, but as you know, most of the time he was "protected" by an offensive line made up of second and third teamers. I don't think he had the same line from week to week until near the end of the season. He had no time to throw, and the offensive coordinator Kellen Moore had to revamp the offense to change it to a quick-hitting offense, as Dalton typically had anywhere from 1.8 to 2.3 seconds to get the ball off.

The Head Coach of the Cowboys had nothing but good things to say about Dalton. Here's something cool: Apparently Dalton has kept notebooks of every single team and defensive coordinator he has faced in 10 years in the league. It is a treasure trove of information; schemes, plays that were effective, plays that were not effective, player breakdowns, coaching tendencies, everything. He approaches every game like he is a coach. Consummate professional, very diligent. Nobody works harder. First in the facility in the morning, last to leave.

If you will just give this guy a chance, and an offensive line to give him more than 2.3 seconds to throw the damned ball, Andy Dalton will deliver for you. He is a very good NFL QB, especially if he has a line to protect him. He is not Tom Brady, but he is light years better than Foles, Trubisky, or any of the other knuckleheads that you have been living with for the last 20 years in Chicago.

Last word: I am really excited that Andy is going to Chicago. I have liked the Bears since '85. I really love Chicago as a city. I live in Fort Worth and became a Dalton fan because of TCU. But I will be traveling up there to some games this year. The Bears are about to be the new favorite team in our household.

They don't make better people than the Dalton family. Give this guy a chance, some line protection, and some support, and he will make you proud.
Does the carpet match the shades?

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well here is the problem for Andy - We haven't had a decent offensive line here since Ditka was the coach.

We still hold the NFL record for Sacks by half time-

And the rub: Nagy was hired because of his offensive genius.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
one of my oldest brothers used to live near Cincinnati, one of the local hospitals had a unit for kids w/ cancer and they were called the dragonfly group or something like that. My brother's kid got cancer and had to go to that wing of the hospital for treatments and met a lot of the kids. Dalton took the kids to King's Island and didn't just sign and go, he spent the entire day at King's Island with these kids, many of whom would not live to see their next birthday. He's a great guy.

I would like to see the Bears draft a young QB, but with dalton being more of a game mgr. type we need a replacement for Trevathan, possibly bring in AJ green on a cheap prove it deal and get that little Carter kid from NC the RB....

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Hope the OP is right, and he can mentor a draft pick, because that is how you set up the future...

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Halas hall infiltrating the bears board. Well played.

Reactions: DC

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem isn't Andy Dalton - Stand up guy and I think he is good enough to make it work with a supporting cast-

The problem is Nagy running the team - He had his best offensive linemen sitting the bench or on practice squad half the season. The only reason they played is his original starters got hurt.

With our protection Wilson would have quit by halftime of the first game and Watson would have 2 more knee surgeries.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You are getting a very good QB, a GREAT man, a true leader.

Andy Dalton fits in very well with The City of Big Shoulders and how the world views the Chicago Bears franchise. Tough. Strong. Durable. Dependable. WINNER.

Andy is a hyper-accurate QB, primarily in the short to mid-ranges. He has a decent deep ball, not fantastic, but good. He sees the field. He knows the defenses. He is very smart.

He is a very good decision maker. He keeps mistakes to a minimum. He knows when to throw the ball away. He manages the game well.

What does he not do that well? He does not scramble very well. He is not an explosive runner. He is pretty fast, but has no wiggle. "Escapability" is not a strength. He is not a showboat kind of guy, and won't be flexing or screaming or talking trash (if you're looking for that kind thing).

His career at Cincinnati was mixed. It started off awesome. Carson Palmer basically quit the team and Dalton (fresh off of a Rose Bowl win for the TCU Horned Frogs over the Wisconsin Badgers) was thrown into the mix. He didn't even have the opportunity to be the starter in training camp. But he led the team to a winning season and a playoff appearance in his rookie year.

The first five years in Cincinnati were pretty great. He did great things for the franchise. While they went to the playoffs five times in a row under Dalton, he only played in four playoff games. He lost his big chance to win a playoff game in 2015 because he tore a ligament in his thumb right before the playoffs. A. J. McCarron lost that game. That was their best team and Andy's best chance. The first four playoff games were not great by Dalton, but really the team choked as a whole. You may remember that the Bengals were a really punky team in those days, and tons of personal fouls and rotten play, especially on defense, lost many of those games. Dalton played well in two of those games, played average in one, didn't play well in another, and again didn't get to play the fifth.

The next four seasons sucked. Dalton persevered, but the team fell apart. He had no offensive line protection, few good weapons, tons of injuries around him, and a freaking coaching carousel.

The ownership group is terrible in Cinci, and the management is worse. I think Dalton had a different offensive coordinator every year for five or more of his years there. Of course, the fans are also pretty rotten, and Dalton got little support from the carousel of coaches, the management, or the fans.

Despite all that, Dalton put together the longest playoff appearance streak in Bengals history, and holds most of their franchise QB records. He remained durable, consistent, and an altogether good to very good QB during his nine years there. On top of it all, Andy and his wife formed the Andy and JJ Dalton Foundation, and they dedicated significant amounts of time and money to helping families of sick children with their hospital bills and overall quality of life. The big thrust of the foundation is to give fun experiences, date nights, and other social boosts to those grieving families. They have improved tens of thousands of lives with that Foundation. It is truly remarkable, and unusually effective compared to most foundations you see out there. Really a first-rate outfit. Andy and his wife give sacrificially with their money. It's cool to watch.

Dalton's 10th season was with the Cowboys. He did pretty well, but as you know, most of the time he was "protected" by an offensive line made up of second and third teamers. I don't think he had the same line from week to week until near the end of the season. He had no time to throw, and the offensive coordinator Kellen Moore had to revamp the offense to change it to a quick-hitting offense, as Dalton typically had anywhere from 1.8 to 2.3 seconds to get the ball off.

The Head Coach of the Cowboys had nothing but good things to say about Dalton. Here's something cool: Apparently Dalton has kept notebooks of every single team and defensive coordinator he has faced in 10 years in the league. It is a treasure trove of information; schemes, plays that were effective, plays that were not effective, player breakdowns, coaching tendencies, everything. He approaches every game like he is a coach. Consummate professional, very diligent. Nobody works harder. First in the facility in the morning, last to leave.

If you will just give this guy a chance, and an offensive line to give him more than 2.3 seconds to throw the damned ball, Andy Dalton will deliver for you. He is a very good NFL QB, especially if he has a line to protect him. He is not Tom Brady, but he is light years better than Foles, Trubisky, or any of the other knuckleheads that you have been living with for the last 20 years in Chicago.

Last word: I am really excited that Andy is going to Chicago. I have liked the Bears since '85. I really love Chicago as a city. I live in Fort Worth and became a Dalton fan because of TCU. But I will be traveling up there to some games this year. The Bears are about to be the new favorite team in our household.

They don't make better people than the Dalton family. Give this guy a chance, some line protection, and some support, and he will make you proud.
I see Ryan Pace has joined the forum.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
A lot to digest in this post. Thanks to the OP for bringing some interesting insight to the Bears' new QB. I am not overly excited the Bears went with AD but my mind could be changed. Dalton turns 34 before Halloween so this move doesn't fix the ridiculousness that is the Bears QB situation but I'd say it's an upgrade from what we've been rolling with lately.

The OP mention's Dalton's accuracy. As a Bears fan I wonder what that word means?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless this is a move for an agreed to Seahawks June trade so they can split the cap hit...
:mad:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with the OP 100% and I've actually met A. Dalton irl as well. He isn't the bears franchise qb of the future but he's a good dude and not dumb like mitch.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
My kid went to TCU and was in a club that Dalton and his wife started on campus. He is an excellent human being. A total class act... Unfortunately, I was at his last big win which was the Rose Bowl when TCU beat JJ Watt and the Badgers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In $$$ money games this guy is a choker. I'm NOT drinking the " Dalton acceptance kool aid". I'm sure I'll be hated for not going along with this b.s. signing.

Dalton........
View attachment 10779
LOL, finally a QB that we can all agree on and you're still looking for conflict.

Hamdent

Liked Posts:
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the board. A Texas lawyer (Select Sports Group?) who is an indefatigable defender of Dalton? Who once "met" Dalton (technically speaking one only really "meets" someone once, right?) And as someone who carefully distinguishes between Jerry Jones' capacity as owner vs his ability to manage personnel, I would wager that you are perhaps a bit closer to the action than you let on.

Regardless, this is a compelling post (you represent your client well). As you say, if the o-line can protect him (i.e. add substantial talent through draft and free agency), and surround him with additional talent at WR then Dalton has a decent chance to flourish here. I think you will find (as others have pointed out in this thread) that the biggest obstacle to Dalton's success will be Nagy's play calling (besides the inability to actually do any of the above talent evaluation). Dalton's ability to read defenses will be put to the test. If he can make adjustments at the line, and has time to get the ball off, his experience and accuracy will be an welcomed upgrade. If he doesn't have protection then he'll be Foles 2.0 (even though I agree he's a better overall QB). Trubisky's strength was his mobility which was needed far more than it should have been (ironically, having a terrible line was to Trubisky's benefit - ugh). And extending plays allowed for an aging defense to catch their collective breath. A well managed offense that more consistently keeps the defense rested and can move the ball with regularity would be a nice change of Pace. But these are merely conditional statements,: they are big "ifs." They say that hope springs eternal, but I think you'll find that after several decades of QB play that can only be described as ineptitude incarnate, hope is pretty hard to come by. As was once so eloquently said: "There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again." Or something like that.