I Like Ross, but the Cubs need Girardi

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ross I'm nervous about, would have been less nervous about Joe.
Girardi? Or Maddon?

It's his first job, so you wonder whether there will be "rookie mistakes". He's unproven, so doubt. But as I mentioned, he has played for many great managers so let's hope he has picked up a lot.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I thought Ross was the choice all along. Theo guy who is going to have the same thoughts, but with a little more toughness then Maddon.

I never though Girardi was a fit with Theo. Girardi is his his way or highway and Theo wants complete control.

I think this also signals that the Cubs will make adjustments to the team, but there isnt going to be a major shake up. You may see a trade or two, but I dont see it involving Bryant. If they sign Nick, then they are trading Schwarbs. If not. they are going to get a CF, a pitcher, and a bullpen.
Ross was trhe choice all along. Here's the proof-

https://www.theheckler.com/2019/10/23/cubs-shock-sports-world-hire-manager-they-decided-on-in-march/

Castor76

Liked Posts:
That sounds like a complete BS story. I can buy that the Cubs had almost no intention of bringing Maddon back short of having major success. But I'd love to hear from Girardi himself about those quotes.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The front office should be ashamed of themselves if this was the case.
Trust in Theo and Jed a lot but they need to get the hell out if they're going to be disrespectful to others like this.
Perhaps you're new enough to not know what a post in green text means.

That sounds like a complete BS story. I can buy that the Cubs had almost no intention of bringing Maddon back short of having major success. But I'd love to hear from Girardi himself about those quotes.
It sounds like a "complete BS story", because it is a complete BS story. I used green text to make sure everyone understood The Heckler usually pumps out articles like The Onion. This article is absolutely hilarious. The Girardi quote should have given it away.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps you're new enough to not know what a post in green text means.

It sounds like a "complete BS story", because it is a complete BS story. I used green text to make sure everyone understood The Heckler usually pumps out articles like The Onion. This article is absolutely hilarious. The Girardi quote should have given it away.

Unfortunately the dumb boomers here don’t understand satire.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
David Ross statement

"A lot has been made, and rightfully so, of my connection to the 2016 World Series team, and the notion that I'll now be managing players I once counted on as teammates. Having those relationships going into this will be a bonus, no doubt about it. But those guys know I'll be the first to hold them accountable, the first to demand their best daily effort and the first to let them know about it if they give anything but their best. I never had a problem dishing out a lot of tough love as their teammate, and that won't change as their manager. We'll have our fair share of fun along the way, but working hard as a team, playing fundamental team baseball and winning a lot of games will be our top priorities.

"There will be people I want to thank on Monday, but for today I'd especially like to thank my family and two of my mentors Bobby Cox and Joe Maddon, for their guidance and support throughout the years. I'd also like to thank the Ricketts family, Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer and the Cubs for this opportunity of a lifetime. Now let's get to work."

Read more: https://www.cubshq.com/update/Statement-by-David-Ross-on-being-new-Cubs-manager-27756#ixzz63I2o3Edr

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Girardi? Or Maddon?

It's his first job, so you wonder whether there will be "rookie mistakes". He's unproven, so doubt. But as I mentioned, he has played for many great managers so let's hope he has picked up a lot.
Gerardi... an established known manager v. Ross, never managed a team before. I'm more concerned about Ross on a team needing tweaking right now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Girardii signed with the Phillies.

Pads signed Tingler.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
This should get the rest of you off his bag

For the majority of Joe Maddon's introductory press conference in Anaheim on Thursday, the former Cubs skipper dealt in platitudes when referring to his time in Chicago. But in his closing remarks, he made a playful jab at his former employer:

"I could not be more proud of that group. I wish them nothing but the best," Maddon began, shortly after reflecting on the three straight NLCS appearances and World Series title he achieved on the North Side. "The ultimate goal... We play them in the World Series and beat 'em. That would be my pipe dream right there."

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This should get the rest of you off his bag

For the majority of Joe Maddon's introductory press conference in Anaheim on Thursday, the former Cubs skipper dealt in platitudes when referring to his time in Chicago. But in his closing remarks, he made a playful jab at his former employer:

"I could not be more proud of that group. I wish them nothing but the best," Maddon began, shortly after reflecting on the three straight NLCS appearances and World Series title he achieved on the North Side. "The ultimate goal... We play them in the World Series and beat 'em. That would be my pipe dream right there."

Cubs aren’t getting back to the World Series with Circus Dave managing. Heck they may not make it back for another 70 some years.

Last edited:

QT McPennies

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Ross is such a meatball pick. Theo knows he just ordered his death bed but could care less because he already has 1 foot out the door. Hiring another buddy to take sorrow shots with him after every game before we put this abomination to sleep.

I've been on Theo's side all throughout but there's no defending this. We all know it deep down inside this will bite us in the ass.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Ross is such a meatball pick.

He wasn't the meatball pick at all, Girardi was.

Theo knows he just ordered his death bed but could care less because he already has 1 foot out the door.

This could be charitably described as "making shit up."

Hiring another buddy to take sorrow shots with him after every game before we put this abomination to sleep.

2015-2019
471 wins (~94 win avg)
4 playoff appearances
3 NLDS Titles
1 NLCS Title
1 World Series Championship

"Abomination"

I've been on Theo's side all throughout but there's no defending this. We all know it deep down inside this will bite us in the ass.

No, "we" don't.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There has to be alot of want in the front office to have David Ross manage this roster better than Madden handled it.
I get the move Bryant if he refuses another extension, especially when he wins this grievance. Just cannot see too much more movement. I doubt they are going to make big changes so Madden can say if they did that for me we would have won.

Theo has wanted the intensity at manager since Milwaukee stormed past us last year. I sure hope we get it. It is long overdue.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
There has to be alot of want in the front office to have David Ross manage this roster better than Madden handled it.
I get the move Bryant if he refuses another extension, especially when he wins this grievance. Just cannot see too much more movement. I doubt they are going to make big changes so Madden can say if they did that for me we would have won.

Theo has wanted the intensity at manager since Milwaukee stormed past us last year. I sure hope we get it. It is long overdue.

Bryant is not going to win his grievance. Service time manipulation is allowable within the CBA.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Ross is such a meatball pick. Theo knows he just ordered his death bed but could care less because he already has 1 foot out the door. Hiring another buddy to take sorrow shots with him after every game before we put this abomination to sleep.

Why do people create new alternate names to post? They must know what they are writing is way off base.

Why is it a meatball pick to select a guy who has had exposure to a number of great managers, and who has been a leader all his career?

Catchers get much more involved than the average player, and backup catchers have more in game exposure to the manager.

They are more knowledgeable about, and involved with, pitching, which is a huge part of the game.

If this exact same person had not played for the Cubs, people wouldn’t be so quick to criticize the pick.

So the only knock would be that he’s too close to some guys. And that is far from known fact.

Girardi fits that profile, and has experience. But he is an old school manager who will be more testosterone than analytics and that is not what the front office wants.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bryant is not going to win his grievance. Service time manipulation is allowable within the CBA.
If he wins for being close (only a day away), won’t the guy two days away have the same argument tomorrow? Then three, and so on.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Every fired manager could argue that same thing.

Are you suggesting a front office will avoid making necessary moves so as not to give credence to a fired manager’s argument?

That’s not realistic.