I think Fields looks 300% more comfortable..

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
He was only off by 2.47% though. Spartan failed to account for nearly 78% of Field's actual time on the field. You're siding with the wrong guy if we're comparing straight numbers here.

As I said exaggeration is different then actual posting stats, and to keep it inline with talking football, last year he had a 58.9 comp% if I said last year he only had a 56.43% completion that is only 2.47% difference but in the world of football thats a terrible completion % vs a OK completion %.. when talking actual stats and numbers being accurate is important..

Now to compare that to this year and how comfortable he is, his comp% after 2 games is a great 84.61538461538461% so the couches the coach gave him seems to be paying off for his comfort level

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As I said exaggeration is different then actual posting stats, and to keep it inline with talking football, last year he had a 58.9 comp% if I said last year he only had a 56.43% completion that is only 2.47% difference but in the world of football thats a terrible completion % vs a OK completion %.. when talking actual stats and numbers being accurate is important..

Now to compare that to this year and how comfortable he is, his comp% after 2 games is a great 84.61538461538461% so the couches the coach gave him seems to be paying off for his comfort level

k, nvm

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Think about it like this. Look at how he plays week 1, then look how he plays week 18. Compare and contrast at that point. I think there are going to be plenty of growing pains, and people are going to need to be patient while he improves throughout the course of the season. There are still likely going to be a lot of mistakes. Hold onto your butts for the hot takes every time he under/overthrows a receiver, and every time he turns the ball over. Lol.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Think about it like this. Look at how he plays week 1, then look how he plays week 18. Compare and contrast at that point. I think there are going to be plenty of growing pains, and people are going to need to be patient while he improves throughout the course of the season. There are still likely going to be a lot of mistakes. Hold onto your butts for the hot takes every time he under/overthrows a receiver, and every time he turns the ball over. Lol.
This really is like his rookie season after Nagy.

mecha

Liked Posts:
it's a perfect time to GROW THE MAN when it's clear the Bears aren't winning anything this year. it's refreshing the Chicago Bears are actively working on mechanics with their starting quarterback for a change. I have a lot of confidence in the current staff compared to previous ones.

I don't know, might be a fun season.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
He looks like a different QB IMO.

Credit Getsy and Fields. Getsy definitely has improved his footwork and significantly improved him going through his progressions. His eyes go deep to shallow and he is ready to get the ball out to a 3rd or 4th read on a 3 step drop. That's what you need to do as a pro. Credit Fields because he clearly has spent time with the playbook, knows the progressions and is prepared to get the ball out to his checkdown.

Fields is still going to struggle with recognizing complex defensive looks and this will improve with time. The line is going to be porous and really complicate things for him. I don't expect big numbers this year at all but I saw a QB that has put alot of work in and it shows.

Better oline play will make the progressions easier for sure and I think come week one with all the starters actually playing if Patrick is healthy enough will be much improved. Jenkins looks to be a potential stud after literally one week of playing guard which is impressive and his head seems to be screwed in straight.

Fields will eventually be the guy and the BEST QB the Bears have ever had!

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s still throwing the ball high on some plays. The miss to Mooney in the end zone should’ve been a touchdown but unfortunately Mooney isn’t 6’7 with a 42” vertical.

Better to make the right decisions and work on fine tuning execution than the opposite (which we saw plenty of with Rex/Cutty/etc.)

Yea, Fields would look great too playing against backups and 3rd stringers.....

Also, I'm fairly certain Poles/Fluss/Getsy have approached both teams we played to request they throw the kitchen sink at Fields. I've seen more blitzing against the first team than I've ever recalled in preseason. Has to be on purpose.

KC also used a lot of disguised coverages and exotic blitzes...not common in pre-season, much less week 1. I wonder if it was agreed upon or if KC wanted to spite CHI for canning Nagy?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Better to make the right decisions and work on fine tuning execution than the opposite (which we saw plenty of with Rex/Cutty/etc.)

KC also used a lot of disguised coverages and exotic blitzes...not common in pre-season, much less week 1. I wonder if it was agreed upon or if KC wanted to spite CHI for canning Nagy?

probably talked about beforehand

its good practice for Fields to go up against a blitz

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2022-08-20_05h15_28.png

@JordanSigler

You mean the GM who just drafted 4-5 starters with no 1st round pick and less scouting prep than most teams? ...And had a part in retaining another likely starter at position of highest need in a disgruntled Tevon Jenkins that everyone wanted traded for scraps?
...The GM who is strapped with over $56.8mil in dead cap?...unless he should've kept some of those underperforming bloated contracts? ?‍♂️

Can we agree that the OL market was/is limited? WR market was/is limited & appears so next year also. Significant upgrade FAs were well above the Bears' limited budget this year and many re-signed. Poles got FA fillers at OL & WR who should at least be better than last year's underperformers, and with higher floors and upside. He drafted more still.

I'd love to hear what more you suggest should've been done. You've said O'Dell, who's price is ~$13mil/yr, with an ACL that won't be good til' late this year, and a 32 y/o T.Y. Hilton who @$6mil could still be a late add, but with limited upside over who they already have. Maybe if he'll accept a 1 year deal. Poles has surprising $18mil in cap space currently and could still add a bargain talent IF one hits the market, but...

Can't just waive a magic wand and create cheap & available FA talent at all positions of need in one offseason, nor should a GM lose value by overly targeting a position (WR/OL) over what's available at a bargain (i.e. DBs with 1st 2 draft picks).

Poles isn't perfect, but this continuing narrative of a newb GM "not helping Fields" is lazy and oversimplified.

Tell us Nagy/Pace were "not helping / actively harming Fields", and you'd be 100% accurate, (based on observable facts).

The logos & jerseys are the same. The GM and coach are not. Hell, over half the roster is also not, but casual fans and media assume it's same shit different year.

I 100% understand withholding excitement until results are proven, but the changes and moves are happening; if we're willing to stop playing the perpetual victim and look.

Last edited:

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
View attachment 21859

@JordanSigler

You mean the GM who just drafted 4-5 starters with no 1st round pick and less scouting prep than most teams? ...And had a part in retaining another likely starter at position of highest need in a disgruntled Tevon Jenkins that everyone wanted traded for scraps?
...The GM who is strapped with over $56.8mil in dead cap?...unless he should've kept some of those underperforming bloated contracts? ?‍♂️

Can we agree that the OL market was/is limited? WR market was/is limited & appears so next year also. Significant upgrade FAs were well above the Bears' limited budget this year and many re-signed. Poles got FA fillers at OL & WR who should at least be better than last year's underperformers, and with higher floors and upside. He drafted more still.

I'd love to hear what more you suggest should've been done. You've said O'Dell, who's price is ~$13mil/yr, with an ACL that won't be good til' late this year, and a 32 y/o T.Y. Hilton who @$6mil could still be a late add, but with limited upside over who they already have. Maybe if he'll accept a 1 year deal. Poles has surprising $18mil in cap space currently and could still add a bargain talent IF one hits the market, but...

Can't just waive a magic wand and create cheap & available FA talent at all positions of need in one offseason, nor should a GM lose value by overly targeting a position (WR/OL) over what's available at a bargain (i.e. DBs with 1st 2 draft picks).

Poles isn't perfect, but this continuing narrative of a newb GM "not helping Fields" is lazy and oversimplified.

Tell us Nagy/Pace were "not helping / actively harming Fields", and you'd be 100% accurate, (based on observable facts).

The logos & jerseys are the same. The GM and coach are not. Hell, over half the roster is also not, but casual fans and media assume it's same shit different year.

I 100% understand withholding excitement until results are proven, but the changes and moves are happening; if we're willing to stop playing the perpetual victim and look.
I’ll just start with the first paragraph. Those players are “starters” for this team. Would Braxton Jones start for any other offensive line in the division? No.
And, like I put in the article, he drafted the secondary with his first choices. He chose not to trade Quinn to get better value in the draft. He failed to get Bates. These are legitimate criticisms if his o line fails. Poles wanted a slim offensive line. He’s made it very clear, that as a former offensive lineman, he has his own ideas for that position. If that offensive line fails Fields, he shoulders the responsibility. Teven Jenkins deliberately said he’s not going to be as strong because of Poles plan.

You tell me what the results look like right now.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’ll just start with the first paragraph. Those players are “starters” for this team. Would Braxton Jones start for any other offensive line in the division? No.
And, like I put in the article, he drafted the secondary with his first choices. He chose not to trade Quinn to get better value in the draft. He failed to get Bates. These are legitimate criticisms if his o line fails. Poles wanted a slim offensive line. He’s made it very clear, that as a former offensive lineman, he has his own ideas for that position. If that offensive line fails Fields, he shoulders the responsibility. Teven Jenkins deliberately said he’s not going to be as strong because of Poles plan.

I think Poles has done a fabulous job with what he was 'gifted'

If I were a fly on the wall when Poles was interviewed I would imagine one of the things Ryan would also say besides the appropriate ra ra SB building things and showing amazing intelligence, adaptability and perspicacity would be : " I will also have enough Cap space left over the first two years to justify the amount of money you are going to pay me "

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

These are indeed valid points that follow the overall common theme that none of us know until we see how things play out.
Losing out on Bates really sucked and I also wish he'd have bid higher to bring him in. He did end up with Lucus Patrick however, who knows the offense already and is a true plug n play C. Sucks we've not been able to see him yet.

My point is that declaring things and players such as Braxton Jones as fails simply because they are unproven is jumping the gun with negativity. You and I are not NFL scouts or coaches. Perhaps he really is startable; IDK?‍♂️. All reports are that his tape so far says yes. Bears staff are clearly saying he is better than Reiff, who they brought to be a plug n play experienced LT. Do you have a reason to say he is not?

It's impossible to stamp anything as a result right now. We can only discuss the moves made and not made and the tape that is or isn't good so far.

It certainly costs a lot more to bring in previously proven premier talent, and this cost is more than is currently available (without gutting other positions of strength such as Quinn). In essence, Poles is trying to have his cake and eat it too by retaining Quinn and $$ while also trying to squeeze fieldable talent from the limited unknown guys he does have + drafted with his 11 picks.

Just because the new OL guys haven't done it yet doesn't = doing nothing. Just because some haven't started before doesn't = unstartable / not able to protect Fields / start on another team. You now say your criticisms are "IF his OL fails", but the narrative is absolutely being presented to the masses that Poles already has and continues to fail Fields.

=======================

What's ironic is that ESPN, whose commentators ripped CHI on Sat, also put out that Bears have 11th best OL. Might be a good one for you to write a response article to!? I'm interested in your take on this overly rosey report. The reality will play itself out likely somewhere between this and the "OL will be the worst in the league" takes.

*Note Seth Walder's ESPN rankings claiming 11th best is behind a paywall, so here's one of many re-hash articles:

Surprise! ESPN ranks Bears offensive line among best in NFL
1661129374459.png

We've yet to see Lucus Patrick play center in CHI, but he's certainly better than Mustipher, who is proven bad. 3/5 of last year's OL has been replaced with 3 FA guys who have been starters. Then 2 of them replaced again with homegrown Bears; who are unproven but with upside.

Further yet, they go to this overly positive grade while including Reiff and Shoefield as starters, who are now relegated to backups now that Braxton Jones is the #1 LT and Tevon Jenkins is the #1 RG. I admit that Reiff while an improvement from last year, was let go by CIN whose line was trash last year.

Like I said, the moves have been made, but claiming the OL to be bad and neglected is a narrative that plays on previous OL failures without current substance. Unless you will break down tape and show that these new FA pick ups AND Braxton & Jenkins are trash like last years departures?

Last edited: