I think Pace is on the hot seat and big moves are unlikely..

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
@mattb78
If Pace is on the hot seat which he obviously is and George confirmed Pace has no restrictions in football decisions as the sole football guy for the Bears what on God’s green earth makes you believe he is not going to try to make a big move at QB to save his career?????!?!?!?!???

You seriously think he’s gonna sit on his hands this offseason and swing again on some middling veteran Foles type option or roll with Foles? Not fucking happening.

Pace is literally the most desperate GM in the NFL with a glaring hole at the most important position in sports.

Everyone should expect fireworks this offseason.

Last edited:

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
George called out the QB and the offense in his press conferences and interviews.

If QB is the barometer, than Pace is a dead man walking as well, because the 20th overall is a tough spot to do much with, and Nagy runs the most unfriendly QB offense in the NFL.

And if so, it forces the QB pick at 20, and possibly burdens them with another 1st round failure for the next regime.

Offensive improvement is likely part of the evaluation, but a middle of the road defense and I believe Pace is gone next season, because that is where the money on this team is invested.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'd think that by now, given the evidence, that it has nothing to do with the draft position but rather the player and the system.

But let's still please talk about this is absolutes.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
There will be draft picks traded away. Pace will be going all in either on a vet QB or a rookie QB. Zero restrictions on Pace .

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is a pretty original thread topic.
And I'll say the same thing I've been saying in all those threads. If you get rid of Pace, Teddy needs to go as well as he has failed miserably at picking GM's. Whatever his damn criteria is for picking a GM it sucks and does nothing but saddle the team with mediocre at best GM's.

Bust

Liked Posts:
it's the win now league, every gm is on the hot seat.

That includes green bay. If the Packers finish last in the division next season, guaranteed, someone is getting canned

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
The problem is your premise doesn't make sense. I understand what you're saying, but why would anyone want to have a GM but not give them the power to be a GM. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just fire the GM and start over then to keep the GM but strip him of his powers. Why would anyone want to remain the GM of a team where he basically has one year to prove his worth but doesn't have the powers to make that happen. Welcome to Halas Hall 2021.
To not pay him, that’s why

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
If we can't get Watson or Carr or one of the top 3 QBs in the draft I'm all for bringing in Winston on a 2 year heavy incentive contract and draft the Arkansas QB. Use the draft to build the OL and add a WR / RB. Winston has the arm to throw in Chicago. His Int's went up in TB due to Arians crazy throw deep without looking at the defense offense. He does have some turnovers. You can work with him on fumbling in the pocket. Taking less chances equals less turnovers. We need to score 25+ points a game with our defense and we will win a lot of games. Winston can throw deep with accuracy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Losing Arob, your DC and your starting QB are big moves.
I suspect Pagano was asked or mutually agreed to retire.

Perspective

Liked Posts:
Bucs vs Packers this week - the only starters that were of any value that both these teams have lost to injury and wont be available to play are Antonio Brown and Bakthiari .... even Vita Vae is coming back to start for the Bucs this past weekend.

On the flip side Bears finished the season without Daniels, Cohen; Massie; Roquan Smith; Jaylon J; Buster Skrine and Eddie Goldman .... all of those are starters and except for Ifredi replacing Massie, there just isn't a way to replace starting talent at 7 positions in the NFL world....

People keep bringing up the 2018 season where it is true the Bears played some really bad QBs which led to the inflated turnover numbers but we also were miraculously healthy and had all starters playing in the wild card game except Eddie Jackson who we lost at the end of the reg season .....

Look at the Pats D ..... #1 last year and then they lost a bunch of starters who opted out for COVID and guess what - they were middle of the pack at best this past year.

Look at the Texans who lost Cooks; Fuller on O and a bunch of D starters and guess what ..... they got blown out by the Bears a year after they were competing with the Chiefs in the playoffs last year

Ask yourself - how many starters have the Chiefs and Bills lost this year too.... I am sure that number is low ..... the NFL does not allow for too many padded practice options to begin with and in the COVID world, it is even tougher to just go from starter to back up at so many positions..... if the Bears had lost only one starter out of those I listed above when they played the Saints, I would not be surprised if the Bears won or even took the game down the wire.....

The ultimate take away from all of this is - health is a huge factor in the NFL and whenever things go well it is never as good as it looks and when it goes bad it is never as bad as it looks..... the Bears were not SB contenders just because they found some success in 2018 .... just like they are not a doormat just because they could not win a playoff game this past year..... if we can find two starters from the draft - even one on O and one on D and hope KMet, Mooney, NIchols, Mustipher, Bars, 2 out of these 3 - Vildor/Shelley/Jaylon J take the next step in their growth, this team will win a playoff game next year even with Trubs at QB.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
If QB is the barometer, than Pace is a dead man walking as well, because the 20th overall is a tough spot to do much with, and Nagy runs the most unfriendly QB offense in the NFL.

And if so, it forces the QB pick at 20, and possibly burdens them with another 1st round failure for the next regime.

Offensive improvement is likely part of the evaluation, but a middle of the road defense and I believe Pace is gone next season, because that is where the money on this team is invested.
There will very likely be a trade...the objective is to win games and score points. Which they've failed at. It will take desperate moves.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Zero restrictions on Pace .

That is where I disagree. Because if so, Pace isn't on the hot seat, and they would have fired Nagy and let him pick a new coach.

You aren't going to let a GM you are considering firing next year mortgage away your future and potentially cripple your next regime. You aren't going to publically admit you are hobbling him, but behind the scenes you are keeping him on a short leash.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This is simply false. You don’t bring them back and then handcuff them. If you don’t trust them, you fire them. If you trust them...you let them do their jobs fully.

And Pace won’t mortgage the future to try and win now. Even if he ends up getting fired, he will want another job in the future. And that would be a sure way to get blacklisted...

You would think this would be common sense. But then again...CCS...

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
You don’t bring them back and then handcuff them. If you don’t trust them, you fire them.

Its a valid point Vision. But I don't understand why they didn't fire Nagy. It seemed liked a very clear decision to me, and even some of the insiders felt a little disgusted that Nagy was retained.

And the most logical reason I could come up with not firing Nagy is that they weren't sure if they wanted Pace to install an entirely new regime.

Nagy seemed on thin ice to me. He fired all his assistants last year. He had to give up playcalling. He rallied to bring in Foles which was a disaster. And he got horribly outcoached in the last 2 games that mattered. His firing seemed all but guaranteed and the only question was Pace gone as well.

coolio

Liked Posts:
It's honestly unreal how they didn't get canned this year. Expect some stupid trade like the Nick Foles trade or maybe even trading up for Mac Jones

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Management: Another mediocre season and you guys are fired.

Pace and Nagy: We are going to start Nick Foles...

Does anyone think that is an actual conversation that is happening?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Does anyone think that is an actual conversation that is happening?

Agreed. That is why I never bought into the Pace and Nagy harmony. Either Pace is blaming Nagy for shit coaching, or Nagy is blaming Pace for not having offensive talent. I mean after three seasons of shit offense it has to be one or the other.. or both.

Had Foles not been a complete disaster, different story entirely. But Nagy rallied for this guy, benched Trubisky for this guy, we gave up draft capital for him.. and he didn't do shit. So the whole keeping Nagy story just doesn't add up to me.

The Bears have to know that upgrading from Nagy is an easy thing to do, and Pace is likely rallying for the same thing.. so why not do it this offseason?