I think Pace is on the hot seat and big moves are unlikely..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I have been trying to make sense of why the Bears kept Nagy despite his 29th and 26th ranked offenses, and I feel strongly the decision was more about Pace than Nagy.

The decision on Nagy is done, IMO. Dead man walking or close to it. He isn't anything special and everybody knows that. The question for the Bears brass was their comfort level with Pace picking a new coach and likely new QB as well. The Bears are torn on Pace. They know they could do worse at GM, have certainly had worse at GM, but overall want and expect more.

I believe the measuring stick for Pace will be the defense next season. If the defense doesn't perform at a high level or the Bears miss the playoffs, I believe Pace is gone and the Bears reboot. Hence the Pagano decision. Pace wants to show that he has built a championship defense, he just had injuries.

If my guess is correct, I would expect to see a pretty handicapped draft day where Pace isn't allowed to trade off significant future capital.

Don't expect big draft moves.. or Watson. If they are sure about Pace, they aren't going to significantly let him mortgage the future.

Just my interpretation. I don't buy the "Nagy and Pace" get along great routine. I think the Bears are torn on their GM decision, and want another season to evaluate him before they potentially blow everything up again.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have been trying to make sense of why the Bears kept Nagy despite his 29th and 26th ranked offenses, and I feel strongly the decision was more about Pace than Nagy.

The decision on Nagy is done, IMO. Dead man walking or close to it. He isn't anything special and everybody knows that. The question for the Bears brass was their comfort level with Pace picking a new coach and likely new QB as well. The Bears are torn on Pace. They know they could do worse at GM, have certainly had worse at GM, but overall want and expect more.

I believe the measuring stick for Pace will be the defense next season. If the defense doesn't perform at a high level or the Bears miss the playoffs, I believe Pace is gone and the Bears reboot. Hence the Pagano decision. Pace wants to show that he has built a championship defense, he just had injuries.

If my guess is correct, I would expect to see a pretty handicapped draft day where Pace isn't allowed to trade off significant future capital.

Don't expect big draft moves.. or Watson. If they are sure about Pace, they aren't going to significantly let him mortgage the future.

Just my interpretation. I don't buy the "Nagy and Pace" get along great routine. I think the Bears are torn on their GM decision, and want another season to evaluate him before they potentially blow everything up again.
The problem is your premise doesn't make sense. I understand what you're saying, but why would anyone want to have a GM but not give them the power to be a GM. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just fire the GM and start over then to keep the GM but strip him of his powers. Why would anyone want to remain the GM of a team where he basically has one year to prove his worth but doesn't have the powers to make that happen. Welcome to Halas Hall 2021.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure it was purely financial. I am hoping that someone told George to keep the two tied together, so if he fires one he fires both and they start over.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I don’t know what to make of this situation to be honest.
My initial assumption was that both are on the hot seat but I don’t know.
I do think they kept the coaching staff because they didn’t want to eat 20mil in salaries.
I also think they probably kept Pace because they don’t have a clue how to find another GM.
Does drafting a QB in the 1st ensure that they both return in 2022?
Do they have to make the playoffs or else?
I would think the last two questions are dependent upon results right?
Who the hell knows.

PrimeTime

Knowledge Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, after that press conference, im not too sure of that. They wont even tell us how much longer he has on his contract.
THIS, is the 950 million dollar question. I would not be surprised if George and Teddy gave the GM and HC new contracts. I'm not saying I would like it, I'm saying all this would make a little more sense. But why not tell everyone. If it were true, it would only help them to attract new coaches and players. None of this makes any sense.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
THIS, is the 950 million dollar question. I would not be surprised if George and Teddy gave the GM and HC new contracts. I'm not saying I would like it, I'm saying all this would make a little more sense. But why not tell everyone. If it were true, it would only help them to attract new coaches and players. None of this makes any sense.

I think it's opposite, they think they are being smart by not divulging contract info but it just makes them look like baboons. A contract extension would have been leaked by now.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
I don't agree with the OP. I think both Pace and Nagy will get extensions if the bears get a QB that plays well and moves us in the playoffs. Whether that QB is Watson, Carr, Fits (with a draft pick). Ownership doesn't want to make a change. Changing everything doesn't mean things get better. If making changes worked all the time we should be great. We have lived through too many changes. We need a QB, OT, and the right DC.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Honestly, after that press conference, im not too sure of that. They wont even tell us how much longer he has on his contract.

That could be intentional so they dont scare way potential FA and coaching hires. If they know pace doesn't have a contract extension, they might not want to come.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

This is simply false. You don’t bring them back and then handcuff them. If you don’t trust them, you fire them. If you trust them...you let them do their jobs fully.

And Pace won’t mortgage the future to try and win now. Even if he ends up getting fired, he will want another job in the future. And that would be a sure way to get blacklisted...

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
The assistant coaching departures tell the story that this is a sinking ship.

Ted and George may feel otherwise, but they are setting themselves up for an impossible situation. If the Bears acquire/draft a QB that looks promising and the team gets in the playoffs, it feels like there will be extensions. How do you justify bringing them back for making the playoffs 2 out of 3 seasons, but then fire them after making it 3 out of 4?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The assistant coaching departures tell the story that this is a sinking ship.

Not necessarily. London and Ragone got promotions. Not sure what Rodgers' position is in LA yet, but he wasn't under contract anymore either. I'm sure part of the coaching departures is that there isn't much job security in Chicago, but a RB coach would take a QB coach job and a passing game coordinator will take an OC job 100 times out of 100.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
George already said there are no restrictions on Nagy and he can trade future picks.

Judging Pace on the defense would be idiotic.

I think they are getting a chance to reboot the offense. Whether that is 2021 or 21 and 22, will depend on how this season goes and the new QB looks.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That could be intentional so they dont scare way potential FA and coaching hires. If they know pace doesn't have a contract extension, they might not want to come.
Sure but wouldn't those be questions that they would ask before signing? I know i would.

Not much has made sense with this regime. I just wish we knew. Like if Pace were to go big in the draft on a rookie QB, it would look a lot better if he weren't on the hot seat. I dont like the idea of a guy with a hot seat mortgaging the future for an unproven QB and then either getting fired or having to be extended because once again he's tied to his draft pick.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. London and Ragone got promotions. Not sure what Rodgers' position is in LA yet, but he wasn't under contract anymore either. I'm sure part of the coaching departures is that there isn't much job security in Chicago, but a RB coach would take a QB coach job and a passing game coordinator will take an OC job 100 times out of 100.
You may be right, and it could be looked at even as a positive that these coaches are being valued across the league. I'm just a little concerned at the speed they are all being replaced. It could be because of interest in teams that are still playing, but even that frequently leaks. Assistant and coordinator roles are usually filled pretty quickly, but I haven't been impressed with Nagy's network so far.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think they are getting a chance to reboot the offense.
That I disagree with. That chance was last year, when they let Nagy acquire Foles and they fired most of the offensive staff, and then they forcibly had to divest him of his playcalling duties.
A-Rob may be gone. At best there will be a late round 1st QB as a starter... I don't think they make a significant offensive improvement a benchmark.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That I disagree with. That chance was last year, when they let Nagy acquire Foles and they fired most of the offensive staff, and then they forcibly had to divest him of his playcalling duties.
A-Rob may be gone. At best there will be a late round 1st QB as a starter... I don't think they make a significant offensive improvement a benchmark.

George called out the QB and the offense in his press conferences and interviews.

I would be shocked if those are not the priority.

Better defense won't get us anywhere.