I Think the 1970's Raiders are where the Bears are going

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The more I'm seeing how Pace is assembling the team, the more I think the blueprint is the Al Davis monster of the 1970's Raiders.

Hear me out.

Others might throw around the term West Coast Offense, Air Coryell Chargers, and look to the Chiefs model as the future of the Bears. I'm not so sure.

Arguably, Nagy's greatest contribution to the Chiefs offense was having his receivers run behind the 3rd down prevent tendencies of defenses the Chiefs would play. The Defenses they'd play would try to keep the plays in front and keep the receiver away from the sticks with a quick tackle. Nagy had his guys run deeper routes behind them, and the rest is history with Alex Smith going from a checkdown charlie to his best year and setting up Mahomes.

Now, why hasn't he done this in Chicago?
This guy does a much better job using the film to show how Foles and Trubs just plain fucked that shit up on the reg. Like, it was bad. I think Trubs would miss a deep pass at least once a game, and who knows how many others he just didn't get to. Yeah, I know, Nagy Too Cute got Hello fucking Kitty with the play calling, too, but that O line was also soft as shit packed Jello.

So, back to the Raiders of the 1970's. Yes, it was a different era and other teams got the glory of going deep, but, man, that was all Al Davis wanted to do. In 1975, Cliff Branch hit 46 for 1,111 and 12 touchdowns for over 24 yards a clip in the 1970's! That's huge. "Al Davis’ use of speedy players in the vertical offense was an evolutionary part of the game, and each of these two were important parts of that."

So, think about it, fast slippery receivers that can tear down the field with a dude that can hit them in stride. Nagy can get behind the D as often as he wants. Mooney will be Money catching those balls.

Now, the 1970's Raiders had arguably the greatest O line in history, and they were some nasty motherfuckers in a league that was known for being much more physical than what we have today. We are now putting a line together that can bring the nasty.

As far as another parallel is former 2nd round pick Dave "The Ghost" Casper tearing up the middle of the field with those soft soft hands. This can easily be a role that Kmet can play if other teams are constantly worried about Nagy throwing it deep a la Al Davis because, why the fuck not, my D can stop them. Al Davis was always like, go deep. He spent the rest of his life trying to get the same magic he had in the 1970's. Sorry, I digress, but, yeah, watching Casper run looks like Kmet.

Finally, they had a running game with an unheralded tough runner who constantly threatened the dive up the middle and would break off punishing runs. van Eeghen could also catch, even though it was a different era, and was a nice safety outlet for Stabler. Monty may not be a home run hitter, but he will get his yards and punish any D that starts trying to cheat out of the box and go deep. He will get those 4-5 yards a clip and move the chains.

Finally, Ken "the original snake" Stabler was very mobile and had a big and accurate arm who was fuckin' clutch. He was very mobile and tough. There are some detractors, and I think Fields has a much higher ceiling, but the snake made shit happen. He won in big games. He refused to lose. Every time that Fields has gone head to head with golden boy Lawrence, he's won, lights out won, decisively won. That goes back to high school with Fields winning. Stabler was an inspiring leader who "made 6'3" linemen into 6'6" linemen when he came in the huddle." Everything I have seen about Fields shows that he is a leader of men.

So, I think that John Madden's legendary Raiders are where our Bears are going. What do you all think?

And, in before the criticism, yes, it was a different era, but there are parallels to be made, and, yes, he hasn't played a down, why are we crowning his ass? Gotcha. Now have at it.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i posted an article on here a few years ago about the Carolina Panthers doing some metrics and then sent Funchess and Kelvim Benjamin packing and getting Moore and Samuel....i think with Goodwin Mooney and Byrd and a dude who can hit the long ball a lot of safeties are going to have tight cornholes

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Nah I love watching old games and the raiders of the 70s put up a lot of fun games. I'll get hype with you!

BBBBEEEEEAAAAARRRRRSSSSSS

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Nah I love watching old games and the raiders of the 70s put up a lot of fun games. I'll get hype with you!

BBBBEEEEEAAAAARRRRRSSSSSS
cliff branch, lester hayes, christiansen, the snake they had a lot of characters

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
What about the Colts of the 60's?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Man, I wasn't old enough to watch football in the '70's. I've just watched a lot of NFL films over the years.
Same. Born in the 80s, but if I never watched a game before my time I'd have never seen Gale Sayers. I prefer full games to highlights.

TecmoSuperbOwl

Liked Posts:
While I think some of the parallels you drew were reaches I'm 1000% on board for this hype train! JUST WIN BAAAABY!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Daryle Lamonica, the originator of the arm punt. 3rd and long? Chuck it deeeep. That was a fun team to watch.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm getting more of a 1920 Decatur Staleys vibe. Brand fucking new Bears.