I was wrong about our receiving corps. It's not elite. It's not even acceptable.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
  • I will start with Mooney. On that deep pass, the Packers cornerback had no problem running with him stride-for-stride. In fact, the Packers CB actually beat Mooney to the ball. Mooney's got slightly above average speed, but he's no deep-threat. As others have said (and I disagreed with at the time), he's a #2 and not a #1.
  • Byron Pringle is a more muscular clone of Mooney.
  • EQB is a strong #2, but not a #1.
  • In general, there are lots of strong #2 receivers, and no #1 receivers, or at least no one that strikes fear into opposing defenses.
The reality is these guys are not getting separation. Now granted, the Packers have elite defensive backs, and I expect some teams with a little less familiarity with the Bears team might give up some yards to the Bears receiving corps. But we definitely do not have elite receivers, and we are missing a receiver who can take the top off the defense and open up some of the underneath stuff. Maybe that guy is VJJ, but hamstring problems can be a lingering season-long issue if not properly babied, and there's nothing to suggest that VJJ didn't re-injure it last week when he tried to practice and couldn't.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a tweet going around that states the Bears WRs are getting separation.

...maybe I can find it.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
  • I will start with Mooney. On that deep pass, the Packers cornerback had no problem running with him stride-for-stride. In fact, the Packers CB actually beat Mooney to the ball. Mooney's got slightly above average speed, but he's no deep-threat. As others have said (and I disagreed with at the time), he's a #2 and not a #1.
  • In general, there are lots of strong #2 receivers, and no #1 receivers, or at least no one that strikes fear into opposing defenses.
The reality is these guys are not getting separation. Now granted, the Packers have elite defensive backs, and I expect some teams with a little less familiarity with the Bears team might give up some yards to the Bears receiving corps. But we definitely do not have elite receivers, and we are missing a receiver who can take the top off the defense and open up some of the underneath stuff. Maybe that guy is VJJ, but hamstring problems can be a lingering season-long issue if not properly babied, and there's nothing to suggest that VJJ didn't re-injure it last week when he tried to practice and couldn't.

EQB was buried on Green Bay's WR depth chart, and here he's elevated to #2 status. As bad as GB's receiver list is right now, I'm not sure he could even make their team.

Mooney's a nice receiver, he just needs a better receiver opposite him to take the pressure off of him. He's a two or a three, and the Bears are asking him to be a one.

I don't think that's going to work.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'd say we have what could be a strong #2 in Mooney and a bunch of 3's and 4's after that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fields should have led Mooney to the opposing sideline instead of throwing to the middle of the field, although it might not have made a difference. The DB only appeared to have a better line on the ball because it was thrown to the middle, thus almost behind of where Mooney was running.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stats are not three dimensional what this bs tweet is not accounting for are times he has scrambled out of the pocket and completed a pass. Ie 51 yarder to Pettis. One thing he is not is inaccurate.
Would you believe anything critical of Fields?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, I admit Fields is my guy. I mean I'm on the record as saying that I thought he'd be better than Trevor Lawrence. I'm not giving up on him yet, but Sunday was a tough night.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Sample size is small, so that is one counterpoint.

I would also be curious for the context where other qb’s numbers are and who those qb’s are. Like longest time to throw, what are the other nearest ones and what is the average? And who?

And for small sample size, using a percentage is BS to make it look worse. In 2022, Fields is 15/28 for his passes. So, 13 misses. 30% of 13 is 4. So, he has had 4 off target throws, but you can sure make it sound worse when you say 30%.