If Fields goes 3 and Lance goes 4 do the Bears trade up for Jones?

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Looks like Nagy gets to pick the next QB. If Nagy's primary traits in a QB are: Accuracy and Processing, then Jones would be #1 in this years draft in those 2 categories. Would the Bears trade up to 6 or 8 to draft Mac Jones if he is the last of the 5 QBs?

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If Jones pass 4, He can be had around 10-11 range I believe. The only team that would make Jones a top 5 pick is SF.

Southside

Liked Posts:
Why trust Nagy though? Nagy is wedded to a system that hasn't proven itself to work with either Trubisky or Foles. This entire, "we need to draft or sign this-or-that QB for the system" stuff needs to stop because Nagy doesn't even have the cred to force his "system". In the perfect world, Bears would draft QBs using the "best player available" mentality and then BUILD the system around them like Baltimore did with Lamar Jackson who they got with the 32nd pick which also refutes the claim that you need a top 10 pick to get a star QB. The best QB of all time (Tom Brady) didnt even go first round, the guy we tried to trade for Russell Wilson, didn't either.

This is what got them in trouble with Trubisky, Pace wanted another Drew Brees clone so bad that he never considered how unique Mahomes/Watson could be. Also Mac Jones was surrounded by elite talent at Alabama and was throwing to nothing but studs, in my opinion guys like him have their stock go up and Justin Fields have their's go down because of a disparity in game tape. Mac Jones has less than 20 games, how much tape is there on him? This is what benefited Mitch in the draft, he had so much fewer games than Mahomes/Watson that his flawed were masked and Mahomes/Watson got over criticized simply because we had 30+ games to evaluate them from. Jones is another one of these sub 20 start QBs who we dont know how GOOD he really is. And if the Bears wanted someone for a predetermined "system", they actually need mobility at QB more than anything.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The team has literally nothing at offensive tackle and has serious long-term problems at wide receiver and edge rusher. They are starting two cornerbacks who had very encouraging rookie years, but man that's a lot of faith to put in Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson.

They just are not in a position to sell away this draft to pick up a quarterback. They failed too hard in free agency to give them that luxury.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Why trust Nagy though? Nagy is wedded to a system that hasn't proven itself to work with either Trubisky or Foles. This entire, "we need to draft or sign this-or-that QB for the system" stuff needs to stop because Nagy doesn't even have the cred to force his "system". In the perfect world, Bears would draft QBs using the "best player available" mentality and then BUILD the system around them like Baltimore did with Lamar Jackson who they got with the 32nd pick which also refutes the claim that you need a top 10 pick to get a star QB. The best QB of all time (Tom Brady) didnt even go first round, the guy we tried to trade for Russell Wilson, didn't either.

This is what got them in trouble with Trubisky, Pace wanted another Drew Brees clone so bad that he never considered how unique Mahomes/Watson could be. Also Mac Jones was surrounded by elite talent at Alabama and was throwing to nothing but studs, in my opinion guys like him have their stock go up and Justin Fields have their's go down because of a disparity in game tape. Mac Jones has less than 20 games, how much tape is there on him? This is what benefited Mitch in the draft, he had so much fewer games than Mahomes/Watson that his flawed were masked and Mahomes/Watson got over criticized simply because we had 30+ games to evaluate them from. Jones is another one of these sub 20 start QBs who we dont know how GOOD he really is. And if the Bears wanted someone for a predetermined "system", they actually need mobility at QB more than anything.
Probably because Ownership is letting him. Everyone knows Pace can't pick a QB, period. Nagy has some record of picking QBs that fit the system he wants to run. I'm on record as a Fields guy, I think he will be great, but Jones would probably be ready to play as a rookie if needed due to an injury to Dalton. Jones might be a better QB for Nagy's system in the short term, but Fields will end up being the star of this draft, but if he goes 3 the Bears have no shot at him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Also, drafting Mac Jones with what would probably wind up costing at least two firsts and then putting him behind Charles Leno Jr. is like buying a Bugatti then leaving it out in a hailstorm.

mbison

Liked Posts:
The team has literally nothing at offensive tackle and has serious long-term problems at wide receiver and edge rusher. They are starting two cornerbacks who had very encouraging rookie years, but man that's a lot of faith to put in Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson.

They just are not in a position to sell away this draft to pick up a quarterback. They failed too hard in free agency to give them that luxury.

The same could be said every year for ever team. No team will ever have probowlers at every position. If the Bears identity a franchise QB that takes priority over every thing

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
The bigger question is do the Bears trade up to #8 to get Jones, Fields, or Lance no matter which of the 3 is still there. I have little doubt they will do this. And they will be fighting Washington for that pick so expect a hefty price.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, drafting Mac Jones with what would probably wind up costing at least two firsts and then putting him behind Charles Leno Jr. is like buying a Bugatti then leaving it out in a hailstorm.
Drafting any qb that costs picks to move up BEFORE OT is drafted, or even CB (now) is not smart.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The same could be said every year for ever team. No team will ever have probowlers at every position. If the Bears identity a franchise QB that takes priority over every thing
You're not wrong here but tackle and cornerback are both premium positions. Tackle in particular is monumentally important. The Bears would probably be fine if they had average players to play tackle, but they don't even have that. Charles Leno Jr. is one of the worst players in the entire league and I don't even know who is supposed to start at right tackle.

You do have to pick and choose where you are talented in the NFL, but its basically always the wrong choice to pick other positions at the expense of the offensive line.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Drafting any qb that costs picks to move up BEFORE OT is drafted, or even CB (now) is not smart.
Considering the overall state of the roster I'm content not paying a ton of resources into cornerback. If the plan is to let Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson sink or swim as starters on rookie contracts I can see the logit in it.

Offensive tackle though? It has to be addressed. They can't do this again.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Considering the overall state of the roster I'm content not paying a ton of resources into cornerback. If the plan is to let Kindle Vildor and Jaylon Johnson sink or swim as starters on rookie contracts I can see the logit in it.

Offensive tackle though? It has to be addressed. They can't do this again.
If they can keep 52 in a trade up there is a chance for a decent OT prospect. If the Bears are fighting Wash and NE for 8 then it could be a steep price but not as high as pick 3.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If they can keep 52 in a trade up there is a chance for a decent OT prospect. If the Bears are fighting Wash and NE for 8 then it could be a steep price but not as high as pick 3.
So hard to find a good left tackle in round two. It does happen, Mitchell Schwartz and Orlando Brown Jr. are two conspicuous examples, but its rare.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
So hard to find a good left tackle in round two. It does happen, Mitchell Schwartz and Orlando Brown Jr. are two conspicuous examples, but its rare.
Leatherwood and Eichenberg were the 2 that might be there at 52.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It's a tough call, but I would say no. Not on a developmental prospect. It would cost us our 2nd and 3rd plus more capital. That's too much.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Has anyone considered the likely possibility one of the top 5 QB drops? Almost every year someone drops down the board that nobody thought would. I hope the Bears just stay at 20, either get a QB who dropped, or take advantage of 5 QBs going ahead of them and get great value at a premier position like OT.

of course this requires patience and vision, both lacking skills in Pace.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Has anyone considered the likely possibility one of the top 5 QB drops? Almost every year someone drops down the board that nobody thought would. I hope the Bears just stay at 20, either get a QB who dropped, or take advantage of 5 QBs going ahead of them and get great value at a premier position like OT.

of course this requires patience and vision, both lacking skills in Pace.
That might work in a regular year, but with Pace and Nagy trying to save their jobs hard to tell. Looks like Jones or Fields will fall but how far? 8, 10, 15. Probably not out of the top 10. There are still several teams looking for a QB to groom.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Why trust Nagy though? Nagy is wedded to a system that hasn't proven itself to work with either Trubisky or Foles.

If others saw potential in your boy mitch am sure he wouldn't have had to settle for 1 year at 2.5 as a clip holder.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers