If Pace becomes President of football operations, the next GM will be

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Trying to defend promoting an employee that failed at his previous role is a losing position no matter the amount of attempted spin.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I dont think anyone wants him to be responsible. I think some of us our resigned to the fact he may be and just saying lets not exaggerate the effect.

As Team President he is unlikely to be as deeply involved in player personnel. That is really the only point being made.
Remy is dead on in this thread. I'd prefer Pace is just gone but him taking over Phillips role is a positive step compared to the current structure. President and GM are two completely different jobs. Pace supposedly had a big hand in modernizing their facilities, growing their scouting structure, bringing in analytics, improving their medical approach. I read those areas have three times the number of employees than when he started and were near the bottom of the league when he came on board. Phillips had 15 years to do those things before Pace got there and didn't - and Pace handled that as a 37 year old with no help above him while managing full GM duties. A better structure with someone helping the next GM in these areas is a good thing.

Pace has now been a GM for 7 years and worked in an NFL front office for 20. He's plugged in in a way that Phillips has never been able to be.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pace as President of Football Operations wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

provided he could identify a strong willed GM who has autonomy but also will take input from Pace on players drafted in round 4 and beyond; esp on the defensive side.

The two of them can collaborate on a new head coach and Ted can retire or focus on the "move" to Arlington Heights

What the F is that job description.

Strong willed GM, who is willing to take advice from previous failed GM, but only on rounds 4-7 and maybe only on defense…

Why would any decent GM candidate agree to work for the guy who just failed his way upstairs because the owner wants to be his friend?

All GMs hit on picks rounds 4-7, Pace is not some late round unicorn.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you used examples in other sports not the NFL. Can you provide examples from the NFL since the Bears are in the NFL?
The Tom Coughlin Jaguars but that was a disaster.

The Saints operate like this, but Loomis still has GM title, Ireland does most of the day to day.

The Cowboys with Jerry, but Will McClay is really the GM.

Technically the Bengals, but Duke Tobin runs the show, even if he is the #2.

That is all I got. It is mostly owners masquerading as GM/Football Ops Pres

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If Pace becomes President of football operations, the next GM will be... FUCKED!​

:rimshot:couldn't help it. Too easy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Tom Coughlin Jaguars but that was a disaster.

The Saints operate like this, but Loomis still has GM title, Ireland does most of the day to day.

The Cowboys with Jerry, but Will McClay is really the GM.

Technically the Bengals, but Duke Tobin runs the show, even if he is the #2.

That is all I got. It is mostly owners masquerading as GM/Football Ops Pres

Not really the examples I was referring to.

Sighhh (II). The structure of the Bears football operations side has been very old school, with the GM pretty much overseeing everything. The President of Football Operations role (Phillips) has essentially been to serve as a conduit for reporting to ownership. As noted, there's no evidence of either Ted or George meddling in football operations. But the trend in professional sports over the past several decades has been to have a Director of Operations that is actively leading the operational side, with the GM role relegated to overseeing that things get done. See Theo/Hoyer (Cubs) or AK/Eversley (Bulls). If Pace gets elevated to President of Football Operations, you're looking at a Hoyer/Eversley type as the new GM, not someone coming in with a mandate to change things as they see fit...

Thr poster was referring to a structure where the Team President was running the personnel side with the GM just more of a foot soldier.

You examples are a little different. I dont think Pace ends up in a role like the examples you gave.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Because he is still responsible for evaluating the GM. There are also other elements of football operations he may still be involved in like org structure, facilities, etc.

The point is his role in football operations had very little to do with player evaluation and acquisition.

Very little is WAY to much when it should be non at all.. But wasnt there a report that Ted and George told Nagy to make Fields the starter? So there might be more then "very little" if they are telling the HC what players to play (or was that just a rumor?)

Besides I was never really thinking along the lines of players, I'm thinking more HC input.. is he the reason for Trestman, Fox and Nagy? How much input did he have with them?

greg23

Liked Posts:
What the F is that job description.

Strong willed GM, who is willing to take advice from previous failed GM, but only on rounds 4-7 and maybe only on defense…

Why would any decent GM candidate agree to work for the guy who just failed his way upstairs because the owner wants to be his friend?

All GMs hit on picks rounds 4-7, Pace is not some late round unicorn.

Well...it was tounge in cheek...but....if/when they promote pace up, you're basically saying nobody should accept the gm role.....sounds about right for this organization

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Very little is WAY to much when it should be non at all.. But wasnt there a report that Ted and George told Nagy to make Fields the starter? So there might be more then "very little" if they are telling the HC what players to play (or was that just a rumor?)

Besides I was never really thinking along the lines of players, I'm thinking more HC input.. is he the reason for Trestman, Fox and Nagy? How much input did he have with them?

By definition the GM reports to the President of football operations. If he didnt then it wouldnt be a President of Football Operations. It is as simple as that. However it is pretty obvious Pace had free reign to do as he saw fit.

And no, the claim from Hub was McCaskey ordered Fields play not Phillips. And Nagy denied the report.

I would assume HC candidates meet with ownership, the Team President and the GM as that is standard across the league. As from Fox though where Ernie Accorsi was involved, it is left to the GM to make the ultimate call.