If this is true I think we have a bright future ahead

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Kaplan: Epstein 'blown away' by Ricketts' long-term plans

Working the phones Tuesday night, I learned some interesting nuggets regarding the Chicago Cubs pursuit of Boston GM Theo Epstein and why he would consider leaving his post as the head of baseball operations in his hometown for a team that hasn't tasted a championship since 1908.

First, and foremost is Epstein's interest in a new challenge in his professional life and the lure of ending the longest championship drought in sports history is proving to be a tremendous magnet in attracting him to the Cubs. Second, is Epstein's quickly blossoming relationship with Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts.

Sources tell us that Ricketts laid out his plan to Epstein and offered him near total authority on baseball decisions with no one to answer to other than the Ricketts family themselves. Epstein has no interest in running the business side of the organization and Ricketts organizational structure is set up to separate both the baseball and the business sides leaving Epstein to concentrate on fixing an organization that needs a new philosophy and must change the culture in the major league clubhouse.

Ricketts outlined his plan to build through the farm system while also spending wisely on the acquisition of veteran stars who can make an immediate impact on the Cubs. In fact, sources tell us that Ricketts is not opposed to spending big money on a star player, but for him to sign a mega contract the player must fit long-term with the organization. The acquisition of Adrian Gonzalez by the Red Sox is the type of player and commitment that Ricketts is willing to take on with the Cubs. He looks at Gonzalez as a star player, in the prime of his career and a player who is solid both offensively and defensively in addition to being a person of impeccable character. When opportunities like that come along he wants his Cubs to be in a position to make a move for a superstar. It was that willingness to spend when it makes sense in addition to the increased power and salary that will come with his contract that sold Epstein on Ricketts vision for the organization.

In addition, Tom Ricketts stressed to Epstein that the family was committed to the Cubs long term and that it wanted to build the franchise the right way. Not trying to quick-fix the major league roster to improve the record. Instead, he showed Epstein his plans for a new spring training complex, a new state of the art academy in the talent rich Dominican Republic, a long term plan for renovating Wrigley Field and thus increasing revenue streams that will impact the major league payroll. Additionally, Ricketts told Epstein of his family's willingness to spend heavily in the draft and on international signings which should translate to a rapidly improving farm system.

Add it all up and sources tell me that Epstein was "blown away" by Ricketts level of commitment, research and willingness to spend on the developmental side of the game. Add in the long-term contract that he will receive along with more power than he has ever had in Boston and the move was a no-brainer from a professional standpoint. However, the hangup in getting a deal done is Epstein's love for his hometown, his family's comfort level in Boston, and his love for the Red Sox franchise including owner John Henry. All of that is what is slowing down finalizing the deal.

Expect aggressive moves from the get-go and a willingness to retool the entire major league roster as he looks to build a winning combination for the Cubs for the first time in 103 years. As for who he might choose to manage the Cubs, speculation points to former Red Sox manager Terry Francona -- but major league sources told me Tuesday that they believe Epstein will look in another direction, perhaps at Cubs legend and current Phillies minor league manager Ryne Sandberg or Red Sox bench coach DeMarlo Hale, who is a Chicago native and considered a rising star in the game.

David Kaplan publishes his thoughts on CSNChicago.com and hosts Chicago Tribune Live every weekday. Follow him on Twitter @thekapman.

I haven't been this excited in some time. If he really does all these things he is saying we have a really bright future and in 5 years should be a hell of a franchise top to bottom. I am starting to like Mr. Ricketts.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems as though as if some of us had been saying that this offseason was going to be the first real test of this ownership group, and the early results have to be considered extremely positive.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ricketts is really impressing me. I hope to get to Wrigley for a game next year to shake his hand and Epstein's as well.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Looks good on paper. But until it starts to come to fruition it really doesn't mean a whole lot. How much longer can we wait? haha

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'll still boo Ricketts :smug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Speaking of the ST complex, ASU will officially be playing there as well.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still say Detroit sucks.

k0sq6e.jpg

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

i like that gif

i also like ricketts plans.....alot:D

of course at the moment they are just plans...so i hope he tries his best to stick to them and EXECUTE them....you think thats a pretty easy task..but in some circumstances the execution of said plan is left out of the equation

plans are one thing, execution is another