If Vildor just had some deflection skills..

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuller was a MUCH better tackler. Something this team is seriously lacking in the secondary (all around really). Fuller was very physical in the run game.

I'll give you that, but really that was something that really was only apparent when he had to come up and lay down a shot. If he were a linebacker I'd give him kudos for that. But he's a corner - he's getting paid for his coverage skills. So no points on that for me, even if some of those hits he'd lay on people were highlight-worthy.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Was it Tim Jennings who worked on ball skills one offseason and ended up with 7 or 8 INTs the next season? How great would it be if some offseason focus gave Vildor a similar improvement? I mean...anything can happen

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has no ball awareness. He gets into position and then seems surprised the ball is coming.

Let's hope he can learn from this but I have doubts.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'll give you that, but really that was something that really was only apparent when he had to come up and lay down a shot. If he were a linebacker I'd give him kudos for that. But he's a corner - he's getting paid for his coverage skills. So no points on that for me, even if some of those hits he'd lay on people were highlight-worthy.
I mean, is that something you’d say every time Eddie Jackson blows and open field tackle, “he gets paid to cover?”

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Was it Tim Jennings who worked on ball skills one offseason and ended up with 7 or 8 INTs the next season? How great would it be if some offseason focus gave Vildor a similar improvement? I mean...anything can happen
Yes, he could never catch the ball, always dropping the INT.

But that changed.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He also needs situational awareness. He didn't stay with Johnson on the slant that put Pittsburgh in field goal range. In fact he sank into another player's zone so now 2 players are guarding one with Johnson wide open.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean, is that something you’d say every time Eddie Jackson blows and open field tackle, “he gets paid to cover?”
No because the safety is expected to do both. They actually aren't expected to have the same range of coverage is a corner which is why they are safety but they're also expected to come up and address the run.

Different position with different skill set and different expectations.

If j'marcus Webb were occasionally used as an eligible receiver and was really good at making first down catches, would that have made you feel like he was an excellent offensive lineman?

To me it's the same thing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
His advanced metrics show him ranked 26th overall in target separation (1.3 yards), that is quite good. But his catch rate allowed is 104th, which is downright horrible, and only 3 deflections, which is 69th overall and also bad.

I am just saying he is there with the receiver, just not making a play on the ball.

Maybe there is no hope and he never comes around, but I am suggesting that if his ball skills improve he could make some big leaps as a CB.
I think he's 100% a part of our future, i just think right now i'd rather him be our 3rd CB or see what he can do at NB.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
NOPE!

See, I paid attention. The reality is that Fuller's ACTUAL COVERAGE SKILLS aren't that much better than Vildors. The only difference between the two is Fuller is more aggressive, which can work when you have a dominant pass rush. When you don't or are inconsistent with the rush, a good QB can bait him all day to get him to jump and free up the WR.

I get Vildor sucks, but Fuller is HARDLY an upgrade.
Putting your strange need for masculinity aside (you paid attention, like I did not??). I think there are several differences between Vildor and Fuller. Aggression is actually not one of them. Fuller was a cover-2 zone defender. It drove me crazy how soft his coverage was but then, he'd make an incredible break on the ball and intercept it sometimes. His tackling was FAR superior to Vildor. Now, being soft in coverage does has major flaws but he's still an upgrade to Vildor, who doesn't seem to be able to play zone or man or tackle. That's just my opinion and I get yours is different. I think the real answer to this delimna is the draft or a trade or free agency. Either way, this horrifically bad secondary was obvious to even the most football-inept person (me) and I wouldn't have been releasing starters last off-season.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think people need to understand that we'll never have a great player at every position and actually will have multiple average to good players starting for us which it seems like many on here think we should have. It just won't happen and doesn't even happen for the great teams that vets take less money to go play for in hopes of winning a super bowl.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Fuller was a MUCH better tackler. Something this team is seriously lacking in the secondary (all around really). Fuller was very physical in the run game.
Fuller's a beast at tackling and is absolutely the best part of his game, or it was when with us anyway.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Agreed DaBears 70, but Vildor's passer rating against isn't average, or even bad, its really bad. I think it can improve was the point of my post but if it where to stay on the same trajectory a replacement level player would be an improvement.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Shit they should even bring Jennings in to work with him especially if they do think he's good enough to move forward with.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Putting your strange need for masculinity aside (you paid attention, like I did not??). I think there are several differences between Vildor and Fuller. Aggression is actually not one of them. Fuller was a cover-2 zone defender. It drove me crazy how soft his coverage was but then, he'd make an incredible break on the ball and intercept it sometimes. His tackling was FAR superior to Vildor. Now, being soft in coverage does has major flaws but he's still an upgrade to Vildor, who doesn't seem to be able to play zone or man or tackle. That's just my opinion and I get yours is different. I think the real answer to this delimna is the draft or a trade or free agency. Either way, this horrifically bad secondary was obvious to even the most football-inept person (me) and I wouldn't have been releasing starters last off-season.
I already addressed this when I talked to Les.

Whether you have Vildor or Fuller back there both would end up getting torched. Fuller can't tackle the guy who's behind him streaking down for a touchdown which is why his ass is benched in Denver

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Vildor is a lost cause

GoBears

Liked Posts:
I already addressed this when I talked to Les.

Whether you have Vildor or Fuller back there both would end up getting torched. Fuller can't tackle the guy who's behind him streaking down for a touchdown which is why his ass is benched in Denver
He's really bad this year. That's for sure (although I think he came in and did well this week or last week). But then, he's playing with completely different personnel than in Chicago. That makes a difference.

bufordht

Liked Posts:

Maybe they would have 4 wins if they had Fuller!!!!!!!!!!!

huggybear224

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess most of you have forgotten Tillman and Fullers 1st couple of years in the NFL. Not saying that Vildor will be the same, but they sucked their first couple seasons too.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Kindle gets burned, over and over again.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is not a defense of Vildor or saying he will amount to anything, but I have noticed he seems to be sticking on the receiver quite a bit in coverage, but just cannot make a play on the ball. I think that the foot speed, backpedal and hip turn are there for him to play. I don't see him getting roasted often like he did earlier in the year.

I am still holding a little bit of hope for the 2nd year player out of Georgia Southern, that maybe as he gets a better feel for the timing of pro routes he will turn his head around and start making a few more plays on the ball.

His numbers are horrible but I have seen improvements in coverage and he is there to make a play on the ball he just needs to get his head around in time and make the deflection.

I think it was Griese on the MNF broadcast that said QB’s have a 142 QB rating throwing Vildor’s way.

Bears need to upgrade in the worst way.