If we could redo the 2021 draft, are you still taking Fields?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A better question is would Ryan Poles had drafted Fields if he was the GM a year earlier. Perhaps he would have and sat him while he tore the rest of the roster down and reset their salary cap. If he had then maybe he would have provided some pieces this season to help his young QB like we assume he will do next offseason. We held onto Pace too long, that was the problem.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It was obvious that gm should have been fired that year and would most likely get fired the following year especially how bad that offseason was. Knowing that I don’t want a gm with one foot out the door trading picks and drafting a qb. It’s common a new gm/hc would like to pick their own qb. So for that reason no I would not have taken fields

Speed

Liked Posts:
Feels like the snake eating it's own tail or a chicken or egg type question.

I don't believe Justin is anything resembling a good QB, but there's always that what if just floating in the back of your head. Mainly because the Bears appear to be incompetent at developing QB's, and Fields in theory would be set up much better for success with a coach from an offensive background, not to mention the weapons the Vikings have(And I actually 'mostly' like what Flus has done although he was smoking crack last week with some of those decisions).

It honestly feels like whoever the Bears draft at QB is destined to be ass, so in hindsight I probably wouldn't trade any kind of picks for him.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its early, but its looking like that was a pretty bad draft class and experts considered it one of the best. 5 legit 1st rounders and maybe one of them will end up being a quality starter.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Feels like the snake eating it's own tail or a chicken or egg type question.

I don't believe Justin is anything resembling a good QB, but there's always that what if just floating in the back of your head. Mainly because the Bears appear to be incompetent at developing QB's, and Fields in theory would be set up much better for success with a coach from an offensive background, not to mention the weapons the Vikings have(And I actually 'mostly' like what Flus has done although he was smoking crack last week with some of those decisions).

It honestly feels like whoever the Bears draft at QB is destined to be ass, so in hindsight I probably wouldn't trade any kind of picks for him.
Yeah…in hindsight and present,

It’s time our desperation for a Qb get layer to rest and we focus on winning a long term battle of strut ion (think years of protecting assets through team build and play style and draft and free agent strategy.)

Bellicek lost Brady and put these tactics into over-drive. He built a team and gave a QB a chance but didn’t sell out for him.

The model to do this with free agency, comp picks, trades and play style is right there demonstrated by the goat coach recently doing a rebuild.

I doubt Bill is even sold on Mac, but it doesn’t matter, he built a team. He fortified the trenches. He called games to protect his players.

Once he had a core he went on a free agent shopping spree.

He’s back to simmering the pot right now. If he transitions from Mac it will be seemless.

If we build it a QB will come. (I should follow this advice about a wife.)

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll still take Justin. We don't know yet what we have with him. You guys are overreacting to a small sample. The guy hasn't even started a full season yet. Last year shouldn't even count because Nagy was too stupid to not give him any first team reps in camp.

This year's roster is worse than last year's because we are purging old talent and overpaid players and rebuilding the foundation. Next year's roster will be considerably better as we will finally be back to normal in terms of draft capital and cap space. The FA in some positions (WR for example) is pretty weak but there is always some player or two looking to get out.

For example, did any of us fathom Tyreek Hill going to Miami? No. The NFL is crazy and who knows, a stud receiver (via draft or being released/cut) could fall into our laps. We have some potential on the OL. It can only get better from here.

Just be patient. Justin is deadly when he has time and trusts his OL. He's still in the rookie stage, let him work this out for the rest of the year. Chill out.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
Well, for starters you have to ask: In a redo, would the Bears still trade from 20 to 11 or stay at 20?
  • If the Bears never trade up and stay at 20, probably looking at Darrisaw, the OT from V Tech or 1 of the 4 DE's that were taken after 20. The back half of the 1st round was weak outside of Harris, the RB from Bama.
  • If the Bears still traded up to 11 and DON'T draft fields, my money would have been on Rashawn Slater, the stud LT out of Northwestern. Slater has been a beast and unfortunately just got hurt. If they pick Slater they more than likely still move up to get Jenkins and how you have book end tackles for the next 10 years.
    • While Parsons may be the best player from that draft not named Slater, with Roquan on the team already, Bears probably never even considered drafting him because of the amount of money that would be tied up with 2 LB's.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i would pass on all of them available at our pick, they had us projected for Kadarius Toney and he's been a PITA for the Giants as well.

Belichick gave a list of qbs for his guys to check out, they picked Brady, it very well could have been the other guy, Brady may have sat on someone's bench for years....I'm starting to think some of this is pure dumb luck, if you watch the Kurt Warner movie and think of how improbable it was that he made the pros, and is now in HOF.....or watched Aaron Rodgers drop on draft day.......you would think we're overdue to hit on that elusive QB but the years just keep flying by and our offense is still looking like a push lawnmower

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Taking mac jones would be the dumbest thing the Bears could do. The dude can't throw in the wind. This is the windy city. I'd take Fields with the first pick in the draft.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Yes, because he has the most upside. Mac Jones may become Matt Ryan and the Patriots be in football purgatory. At least Fields has the tools to be special. If it never clicks, oh well. But he excels in the the things it's hard to teach (speed, self motivation, great spiral, etc). If and once he gets comfortable in the pocket and reads defenses better he could take a major leap.

If not, he will still likely hold some draft value as teams will bank on the Bears screwing him up and that they could possibly fix him

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yes I’d still draft him, to me he was the 2nd QB best prospect in the draft and the following year had really nothing for QB.

I would have aggressively used 2023 cap this past offseason to secure an oline, at least one premier wr, and I would have hired an offensive minded HC that offered what I felt was the best scheme for him to succeed.

I’d have shopped Mack around before trading him as I think they could have gotten more, but would have also traded Quinn and Roquon away.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Yes, I'd have drafted him. I would've done a lot of other things way different however. This assumes I have the power to make all the decisions and that ownership is 100% all in on what I would've proposed doing before taking the job. I'd have a long-term goal of making the playoffs in 2024 with the goal of being consistent title contenders starting in 2025.

I would've gotten rid of Nagy and the previous coaching staff before the draft. I'd have hired an offensive minded coach (like Greg Roman as an example) who has shown an ability to develop QBs. I want my head coach and draft QB on the same page from day 1.

I would've started the tank last season post draft by acquiring future picks and getting rid of all veterans with big deals regardless of the cap hit so that I could start the rebuild in earnest in the 2021 offseason rather than punting it another year. Essentially do what they're doing this year but last year, cap penalties be damned. I really don't care whether the 1st rd pick I gave up became a top 3 pick post trade because I wouldn't have taken any of the QBs from this past draft class anyway so essentially my 1st round pick is Fields.

I would've publicly said, this is a total rebuild. This is going to take time. There will be holes, lots of them. The entire organization's goal would be to help the QB get better and the win loss total doesn't matter. If we go 0-17, it's not because it's the QBs fault or the coaching staff's fault, it's because we are in a total rebuild and player development is far more important to me long term than being a borderline playoff time in 2021 or 2022.

So because I ripped all of the Band-Aids off in 2021, I'd be heading into the 2022 offseason with cap space available to get better replacements and start the long process of filling holes. I still wouldn't have my 1st round pick but perhaps instead of 2 #2 picks, maybe I have another #2 or a late #1 because of a Quinn trade. Let's assume it's just the two, 2nd round picks. I'd have gone WR-WR or WR-OL instead of CB-S. The goal for 2022 would be similar to 2021, QB and player development, wins-losses don't matter and play as many young players as I can.

Ideally, I'd have a top 5 pick in 2023 along with high picks in every round and use the 1st pick on whatever OT, WR or DL my scouting department deemed the best long-term fit. I'd still go heavy offense again overall because it's an offensive driven league and I want to give my QB the best chance to succeed. 2023 comes along and now the goal shifts from intentionally sucking to sucking slightly less. Goal would be pick between 5-10 so I could add another legit prospect to my core group of players. 2023 would basically be year 1 as far as judging the coaching staff even though it would be their third year here.

By this point, I should have a pretty good idea of what I do or don't have at QB after 3 seasons with marginally improved talent surrounding the QB every year. If the wheels fall off and the QB sucks in year 3, I can pivot to drafting another QB in the 1st round who will immediately have a better surrounding core than Fields ever did. I can be patient, yet aggressive in free agency. Avoid giving out high contracts until you find the QB that's legit. Much like the Browns did, I could take on a bad contract or two from opposing teams in exchange for them giving me draft picks (Browns got a 2nd to take Brock Osweiler). Add players that make sense for the timeline I want to be on, don't try to short change the process and build, build, build.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we're redooing I wanted darrisaw or Bateman at 20.

Hindsight probably darrisaw. The next question is why is he protecting this year? Foles? Mmm? It’sa lose/lose either way, this franchise sucks.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah…in hindsight and present,

It’s time our desperation for a Qb get layer to rest and we focus on winning a long term battle of strut ion (think years of protecting assets through team build and play style and draft and free agent strategy.)

Bellicek lost Brady and put these tactics into over-drive. He built a team and gave a QB a chance but didn’t sell out for him.

The model to do this with free agency, comp picks, trades and play style is right there demonstrated by the goat coach recently doing a rebuild.

I doubt Bill is even sold on Mac, but it doesn’t matter, he built a team. He fortified the trenches. He called games to protect his players.

Once he had a core he went on a free agent shopping spree.

He’s back to simmering the pot right now. If he transitions from Mac it will be seemless.

If we build it a QB will come. (I should follow this advice about a wife.)

Sorry, but I am not about that. Because that is exactly what the Bears did prior to Mitch and Justin going all the way back to the late 80's and early 90s, and the ONLY time the Bears were serious contenders was when they had a top 5 defense AND special teams, and even then building it that way has such a ridiculously short lifespan that it costs you in the long run.

I know it sucks, but the only way to actually find a QB is to keep trying every 4-5 years. And I'd rather do that than the mediocrity of the past 3 decades because Chicago fans can't get over their stupid QB trauma. You'll never win if you don't get dealt in.