IGT: Cubs @ Giants

CSF77

Liked Posts:
"Apparently, what I had for lunch today made me pretty sick," Arrieta said. "I threw up before the game and then a few times after I came out of the game. I was really weak. I tried to go out there and do what I could. I wasn't able to, unfortunately."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why does Thompson confuse you? He just had his first bad game in over a month in the majors. That'll happen.

Jake is what we thought he was. He was bad the last 3 years or so, no reason to think that would have changed. Maddux was incredibly smart, I would never accuse Jake of that.

Jake was Ill.

Keegan shows his youth when the pressure is on. This is not the first time. Talent wise it is there.

I feel he just needs to tunnel his 4 seam and his curve better.

Basically he needs to stay up in the zone and keep the release points the same. Go down to freeze the hitter on the edge or go up the ladder with the 4.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
"Apparently, what I had for lunch today made me pretty sick," Arrieta said. "I threw up before the game and then a few times after I came out of the game. I was really weak. I tried to go out there and do what I could. I wasn't able to, unfortunately."

I wonder what his excuses are for the rest of the poor starts

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder what his excuses are for the rest of the poor starts

His location was all over the place. Velocity it was down a MPH or 2.

I don't see him being a quality starter until he upps his change up usage to 30%. Right now he is primary sinker. It has a nice tail action on it and he sits on it too much right now. He would be better off acting like Kyle and doing 30/30% to change/sinker. The 40% would be a mix of cutter/slider/curve/4 seem.

Bust

Liked Posts:
MUST WIN!!!

AFter the Contreras / Rizzo flare up in the dugout nothing gives off the chemistry moar then the big "W"

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Hopefully they (the players) turn this into something positive.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's starting.....again......last three games the total number of on men on base have been 5, 8 and 2 today. They can still win this sorry ass division but what's the point? They can go for days looking like major league hitters then suddenly nearly everyone in the lineup is wailing away at pitches in the dirt or a foot outside. I don't think I've ever seen a team that self destructs and basically gets themselve's out like this one does.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Another shitty game.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
How does Heyward not get sick and effing tired of beating the ball into the ground to 2B?
That downward hack he has is one of worst fundamental swings in the game.
Plant his arse back on the bench where it belongs.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs fans are funny. A few days ago we were world beaters. Now we suck again…make up your minds about this roster. More flip flopping going on than politicians

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Cubs fans are funny. A few days ago we were world beaters. Now we suck again…make up your minds about this roster. More flip flopping going on than politicians
I’m curious. Read a lot of posts but not all.
Can you guide me to where anyone was saying this team was world beaters days ago and is now saying this team sucks.
My guess is that is just a stupid post that made you feel important.
I’ll be glad to apologize if you can show us.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’m curious. Read a lot of posts but not all.
Can you guide me to where anyone was saying this team was world beaters days ago and is now saying this team sucks.
My guess is that is just a stupid post that made you feel important.
I’ll be glad to apologize if you can show us.

I have no reason to “prove” shit to you and your snide comments. Maybe try reading more posts before you jump to conclusions about someone else’s post in a thread you haven’t read much of

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Jake was Ill.

Keegan shows his youth when the pressure is on. This is not the first time. Talent wise it is there.

I feel he just needs to tunnel his 4 seam and his curve better.

Basically he needs to stay up in the zone and keep the release points the same. Go down to freeze the hitter on the edge or go up the ladder with the 4.
How do we know keegan shows youth when pressure is on? Had he not faced pressure in any of his previous appearances? Starting against the dodgers was no pressure, all his relief appearances have been blowouts? One bad appearance is a good sample size to make statements like that?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
How do we know keegan shows youth when pressure is on? Had he not faced pressure in any of his previous appearances? Starting against the dodgers was no pressure, all his relief appearances have been blowouts? One bad appearance is a good sample size to make statements like that?

Pitch location after the 2nd HR. It was all over the zone. Before that there was a pattern.

A At bat is a battle between the pitcher and the hitter. A pitcher normally will have a plan to attack the hitter. Normally they will go fastball up then work a curve down then go up again. A sinker/change up pitcher will stay down in the zone and play with speed and keep the location the same. Throw off the timing.

Keegan falls into the first type. He should be starting upper half of the strike zone with his tunnel. The curve will drop to the lower half for strikes. The fastball will stay upper 1/2 . Then he can go up the ladder to get hitters to chase. But it is up a ladder so start at the top then bring it up a few inches then again. Vs pop a fastball up there right off the bat. A hitter knows the zone. But inching him up will expand that zone. Another good mix in to do is while the hitters eyes are looking up in a sequence is to pound a fastball down on the outer edge and get a freeze. This only works when you have his attention up and you want to sneak a strike out. This will only work once in a while. It becomes a pattern then hitters will expect it.

Off topic,

I was looking at a cut video of Abbott's strike out. Something cough my attention. It was his pitching arm. He was opening up too much. This reminded me of a piece done on Giolito. When he first came up his back arm would be hanging back by his hip like Abbott's is. He adjusted to
gio.jpg

Abbott
abbott.jpg

So Cory might need a tweak before becoming a full time starter. But the talent is there.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Few things about the game.

1. SFG hitters do not attack pitches outside of the zone. This was a pattern that I saw. So these guys are disaplined.

2. I was thinking that Gausman might be cheating. He has never been this guy. Ever, so that is a red flag. Now looking at his pitch sequencing a bit, His location was tight and not sprayed all over. But I only tracked a inning or two. So he could have gained command. But regardless a grip added would be still on the table.

So SFG's are more about discipline than talent IMO. The are fundamentally sound in hitting and pitching and it is playing up for them. That is why they are keeping up with the more talented SDP and LAD.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Pitch location after the 2nd HR. It was all over the zone. Before that there was a pattern.

A At bat is a battle between the pitcher and the hitter. A pitcher normally will have a plan to attack the hitter. Normally they will go fastball up then work a curve down then go up again. A sinker/change up pitcher will stay down in the zone and play with speed and keep the location the same. Throw off the timing.

Keegan falls into the first type. He should be starting upper half of the strike zone with his tunnel. The curve will drop to the lower half for strikes. The fastball will stay upper 1/2 . Then he can go up the ladder to get hitters to chase. But it is up a ladder so start at the top then bring it up a few inches then again. Vs pop a fastball up there right off the bat. A hitter knows the zone. But inching him up will expand that zone. Another good mix in to do is while the hitters eyes are looking up in a sequence is to pound a fastball down on the outer edge and get a freeze. This only works when you have his attention up and you want to sneak a strike out. This will only work once in a while. It becomes a pattern then hitters will expect it.

Off topic,

I was looking at a cut video of Abbott's strike out. Something cough my attention. It was his pitching arm. He was opening up too much. This reminded me of a piece done on Giolito. When he first came up his back arm would be hanging back by his hip like Abbott's is. He adjusted to
View attachment 12112

Abbott
View attachment 12114

So Cory might need a tweak before becoming a full time starter. But the talent is there.
This really doesn't address my question. You claimed he's struggled in tough situations multiple times which obviously isn't true based on his limited time in the majors.

I agree with how he should be attacking hitters

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Few things about the game.

1. SFG hitters do not attack pitches outside of the zone. This was a pattern that I saw. So these guys are disaplined.

2. I was thinking that Gausman might be cheating. He has never been this guy. Ever, so that is a red flag. Now looking at his pitch sequencing a bit, His location was tight and not sprayed all over. But I only tracked a inning or two. So he could have gained command. But regardless a grip added would be still on the table.

So SFG's are more about discipline than talent IMO. The are fundamentally sound in hitting and pitching and it is playing up for them. That is why they are keeping up with the more talented SDP and LAD.
Gausman has always had ridiculous stuff. I always wanted the cubs to grab him because he always seemed like a candidate to have an arrietta like turnaround. I was more surprised by him not figuring it out in ATL than I am by him finally getting it

Bust

Liked Posts:

All I know is when Heyward was hurt, the Cubs were winning.

Putting Bryant at RF and Wisdom at 3b everyday is huge for the lineup. Heyward brings NOTHING.

JayHey on the year is batting .177 and a paltry .246 OBP, lol. This guy is an embarrassment to the lineup!!! 2 moar years of this trash.

Last edited: