Illini BB

TL1961

Liked Posts:
A college player making himself eligible for the draft while he gets feedback is smart, not dramatic.

A college player entering the transfer portal prior to the deadline to keep his options open is understandable. What does he have to lose?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

A potential dream season for Illinois ended earlier than expected, with the Fighting Illini falling in the second round of the NCAA tournament to Loyola Chicago after winning 15 of their previous 16 games -- including the Big Ten tournament. Ayo Dosunmu, the best closer in college basketball, is gone. Despite his departure, though, Brad Underwood might still have the best inside-outside tandem in the country. Kofi Cockburn is back on the interior. The most dominant physical force in college hoops, Cockburn tested the NBA draft waters, withdrew his name at the deadline, then entered the transfer portal ... before ultimately coming back to Champaign. Replacing Dosunmu in the starting lineup will be Andre Curbelo, one of the most exciting point guards in the country and a potential All-American candidate. Supporting those two will be longtime starter Trent Frazier and veterans Da'Monte Williams and Jacob Grandison. Two potential surprises in Champaign: sophomore forward Coleman Hawkins and Utah transfer Alfonso Plummer.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think they will be better than last year by season's end. Or much sooner.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think Curbelo is one of the biggest surprises of the year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think Curbelo is one of the biggest surprises of the year.
I think he's going to be good, but that won't surprise me.

I hear good/great things offseason about Hawkins, Plummer and Hutcherson.....but I have always heard great things offseason that didn't necessarily pan out. Hopefully one or more surprises.

I think they'll miss that top end guy like Ayo, of course. But not having the one guy others defer to may turn out good in the long run. I expected Adam Miller to step into the Ayo role with little step backward, and that obviously fell apart. But they recovered nicely with the additions they brought in. They seem to have a lot of options and better inside outside balance.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
kenpom has them at #5. Seems a little high but preseason ranking are meaningless.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Another year another poll with Gonzaga at the top. They will play a handful of good teams and 25 bad ones between now and March and enter the tourney as a number one seed yet again and the media will be all over their dicks. And they’ve never won a damn thing

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Illini open season with 3 starters inactive plus 1 reserve out

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Illini land Moraz Johnson from St. Rita class of 2024, a big time prospect, will probably top 50 when the 24 class rankings come out. Power forward.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Early season games vs non-conference, and usually non-competitive, opponents should not lead to conclusions about players, generally.

But I do think the pre-season praise for Coleman Hawkins will prove to be warranted.

Payne scored 4, got 1 rebound and fouled out against Arkansas State so I will lower my expectations greatly, even if prematurely.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Coleman Hawkins kid...OMG. I hope he keeps growing. He has potential to get to the NBA. I know Miller also looked like a worldbeater last year against inferior competition and didn't do much against B1G teams, so I'm cautiously optimistic and tempering my expectations on Coleman Hawkins. But so far, the kid looks legit

TL1961

Liked Posts:
OK Illinois, you cannot even allow this team led by this puke Shaka smart to hang around. Get it done.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Gutsy win last night! Plummer has been outstanding on O the past few games.