Illini BB

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't blame Underwood yet because I've seen him make deep NCAA tournament runs with teams less talented than the Illini. I'm at the point where I think he needs to start playing freshmen more often and stop having allegiance to players.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't blame Underwood yet because I've seen him make deep NCAA tournament runs with teams less talented than the Illini. I'm at the point where I think he needs to start playing freshmen more often and stop having allegiance to players.
Red played well and like a freshman.
He better have the back of his players.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
3 observations:

Time for Underwood to go. He's not a big time college coach.

The officiating was atrocious but that's the norm these days in college basketball.

Trent Frazier was terrible.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He lost his 1st game at OSU, his 2nd as a #1 seed with two all Americans at Illinois, and his 2nd with Big Ten champs as a #4 seed.

He is the basketball version of Ron Zook.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
You just need to accept that Underwood isn't the guy to get that done.
He has accomplished a lot, more than any Illini coach since Bruce Weber (or perhaps Bill Self), and the 2019-20 and 20-21 seasons were fun rides, and they earned that #1 seed last season. He may or may not be a good bench coach but he could still eventually succeed in the tournament with a strong program and with a strategic outlook: staff, recruiting, academics (I hope), facilities, etc. I hope he stays around for a while.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
This season turned during the second half at West Lafayette. Illini came into that game on a roll but they were flattened, destroyed in what was supposed to be the marquis match of the Big Ten season. They did manage some quality wins down the stretch, but the vibe that they were destined for any big post-season success had evaporated.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What “deep” tournament run have you ever seen Underwood make?

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

Underwood has never coached beyond the round of 32.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He's never made it to the second weekend. Not sure what you are referring too.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The team lacks basic fundamentals. Like Kofi passing out of double teams to open & accurate 3 point shooters. Or how to come back to the ball once the ball handler is double teamed. This is basketball 101 and it's up to the coaching staff to teach this and put your players in positions to succeed. The sooner Underwood leaves, the better. He was brought here with a reputation of having a high flying offense and his tourney teams don't even average 60 points per game. complete trash.

Orestes

Liked Posts:
The team lacks basic fundamentals. Like Kofi passing out of double teams to open & accurate 3 point shooters. Or how to come back to the ball once the ball handler is double teamed. This is basketball 101 and it's up to the coaching staff to teach this and put your players in positions to succeed. The sooner Underwood leaves, the better. He was brought here with a reputation of having a high flying offense and his tourney teams don't even average 60 points per game. complete trash.
Yep, going back to Arizona and the first Purdue game, Underwood did not adapt to double-teams on Kofi. And today in the second half, Illini ended up stuck in a flat, half-court offense. Had he not remained benched (a benching he earned BTW), Curbelo could have sparked them with transitions and drives to the paint. But he would have needed another monster Purdue game (the first Purdue game) to put them over. More decisive was the lack of front line depth. Houston had 6 or 8 offensive rebounds in the first half alone and picked up right where they left off after intermission; they rebounded their first four missed shots. Underwood had no answers.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yep, going back to Arizona and the first Purdue game, Underwood did not adapt to double-teams on Kofi. And today in the second half, Illini ended up stuck in a flat, half-court offense. Had he not remained benched (a benching he earned BTW), Curbelo could have sparked them with transitions and drives to the paint. But he would have needed another monster Purdue game (the first Purdue game) to put them over. More decisive was the lack of front line depth. Houston had 6 or 8 offensive rebounds in the first half alone and picked up right where they left off after intermission; they rebounded their first four missed shots. Underwood had no answers.
Arizona is as good as any team in the country, and Illinois lost by 4. And you're calling out the coach for that?

You wan to know what hurt them this postseason? Having a 5th year starter out of the lineup and unable to shoot due to a shoulder injury!

Orestes

Liked Posts:
Arizona is as good as any team in the country, and Illinois lost by 4. And you're calling out the coach for that?

You wan to know what hurt them this postseason? Having a 5th year starter out of the lineup and unable to shoot due to a shoulder injury!
This team had a problem at the center/forward position that surfaced in the Arizona and Purdue losses. They did not even have an average backup for Kofi. Bezhanishvili, who departed after last season, was greatly missed. No, I do not expect bench coaching to compensate for lack of talent and a healthy Grandison would have helped.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bill Self was supposed to be the savior for this mediocre program. I always knew he would be the third consecutive former Tulsa coach to win a title, just never thought it was going to be at Kansas. Instead, we've been stuck with crappy recruits that are massively overrated and just simply awful coaches, one after another.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Illini just added 5 star recruit in Skyy Clark.

#8 recruiting class and have a transfer PF that was a Top 100 HS player.

In the mix for a couple big wings (for one spot). Landing one of them will make this huge recruiting class even better. Shannon from Texas Tech and Murray from LSU are the two they're in on, but those aren't the only ones they have a good shot at. It will be a matter of how many spots. Right now I think Clark fills the last one or they're already over, even with two transfers leaving.

Long way to go in determining all the player movement.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Kofi barely making any Top 100 NBA prospect lists.

If he was smart, he would stayed in school and transferred to a blue blood program and been a 1 year legend at a school that could conceivably get past the first weekend of the tournament.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Kofi barely making any Top 100 NBA prospect lists.

If he was smart, he would stayed in school and transferred to a blue blood program and been a 1 year legend at a school that could conceivably get past the first weekend of the tournament.
Well, this is really stupid.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Well, this is really stupid.

What's better? Going undrafted and being a benchwarmer in Europe or staying at Illinois and the inevitable 2nd round exit to a lower seeded team by double digit points?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So which European league does Kofi end up sitting on the bench in?