Illini Football

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No idea if they are any good. Game at 7

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The DL played pretty well. The defensive backfield, which should be a relative strength, was terrible.

The whole offense was awful. Peters was terrible, drops, the OL was meh to bad, penalties. Nothing good there.

A few bad calls went against them and it led to some meltdowns.

Lovie's teams just make too many huge mistakes and don't have enough talent. They had a couple incredible and lucky comebacks last year. Otherwise this program is a fucking dumpster fire.

This is the weakest overall Wisconsin team in several years - their run game is going to be a shadow of itself with just an above average line and no dominant RB, and the defense will be solid but lacks their usual couple of studs coming off the edge. That said the defense has the usual good ILBs and their tackles looked very good last night.

But that Mertz is legit. Great accuracy and knew where to go with the ball presnap against every blitz. He will be the best QB from UW ever except possibly Wilson, but Wilson was a one year grad transfer.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I gave up on them. I think they lost 45-7.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
good effort, all that matters is they tried their best

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
On another board, someone mentioned Luke Fickell as a candidate once Lovie is terminated. I'd be down for that.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Why TF would Luke Fickell come to UI? There's no benefit in it for him.

UI's only hope is to strike gold with a low/mid major guy. And it happens a lot. Matt Campbell, Fleck (who is strongly dislike but he is good at Minny), several others right now.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why TF would Luke Fickell come to UI? There's no benefit in it for him.

UI's only hope is to strike gold with a low/mid major guy. And it happens a lot. Matt Campbell, Fleck (who is strongly dislike but he is good at Minny), several others right now.
Because a Big Ten job is far better than Cincy and he coached in the Bog Ten for years as an asst.

Contrary to results with coaches like Lovie and Beckman, it should - theoretically - be good recruiting territory. Should be, even though it hasn't been. :)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Because a Big Ten job is far better than Cincy and he coached in the Bog Ten for years as an asst.

Contrary to results with coaches like Lovie and Beckman, it should - theoretically - be good recruiting territory. Should be, even though it hasn't been. :)
Coaches don't usually go to programs that are objectively worse than the one they are at (in this case it's not close).

Pretty much every Cincinnati coach moves on to a very good or great program.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, I agree. There's not much allure although there should be.

They need to pay big - but everybody does nowadays.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I first saw the spread, I told my brother that the Illini are not that much worse than Wisconsin. Told him to bet on Illinois covering. Boy was I wrong on that. lol.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When I first saw the spread, I told my brother that the Illini are not that much worse than Wisconsin. Told him to bet on Illinois covering. Boy was I wrong on that. lol.
My nephew couldn't figure the over/under only being 51 and people liking the Under. He bet the over. It took 45 from the opponent and 7 from the D to get there. That is absurd.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There are very few obvious names this year, many of the good mid major programs had their coach poached in the last year or two.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
There are very few obvious names this year, many of the good mid major programs had their coach poached in the last year or two.

May have to try and poach a coordinator from a winning program. God I really do not want another damn MAC coach. That just doesn't work.