Illini Football

dennehy

Liked Posts:
May have to try and poach a coordinator from a winning program. God I really do not want another damn MAC coach. That just doesn't work.
Why do you hate the MAC? Campbell, Fleck, Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly just off the top of my head, and historically it's actually got a ton of hall of famers.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Why do you hate the MAC? Campbell, Fleck, Urban Meyer, Brian Kelly just off the top of my head, and historically it's actually got a ton of hall of famers.

Kelly and Meyer I'll give you. But let's slow our roll on Campbell and Fleck. Both seem decent but not world beaters.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Kelly and Meyer I'll give you. But let's slow our roll on Campbell and Fleck. Both seem decent but not world beaters.
They'd be the best UI coaches this century probably. But yeah, they aren't great. UI probably isn't going to get great though.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
They'd be the best UI coaches this century probably. But yeah, they aren't great. UI probably isn't going to get great though.

Maybe but I hope Whitman isn't thinking that way. If he's going to capitulate, no reason to even field a team. Just put all resources into basketball where things appear to be on the rise.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Maybe but I hope Whitman isn't thinking that way. If he's going to capitulate, no reason to even field a team. Just put all resources into basketball where things appear to be on the rise.
Trying to find a decent coach is not capitulating. It's starting from step one and trying to build something.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Trying to find a decent coach is not capitulating. It's starting from step one and trying to build something.

We've been trying that for a long time. But if he's just going to stick with the same approach that we always use but always fail at, that sounds like capitulation.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
We've been trying that for a long time. But if he's just going to stick with the same approach that we always use but always fail at, that sounds like capitulation.
What approach?

They get the best guy they can. There isn't any prototype, that's just where they are right now.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What approach?

They get the best guy they can. There isn't any prototype, that's just where they are right now.

No they really don't. They could have had Mike Leach years ago but decided not to.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
No they really don't. They could have had Mike Leach years ago but decided not to.
And that's the 'same approach?'

Their last four hires have been an NFL head coach, a MAC guy, ex-Florida coach, and NFL coordinator.

Of course they don't always hire the right guy, but there's not some kind of approach that they've chosen.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
And that's the 'same approach?'

Their last four hires have been an NFL head coach, a MAC guy, ex-Florida coach, and NFL coordinator.

Of course they don't always hire the right guy, but there's not some kind of approach that they've chosen.

I guess what I'm saying is whatever approach they're trying in football is completely and totally broken. The last decent coach we had was Zook and even Zook was a fairly divisive guy. Some people loved him, others hated him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I guess what I'm saying is whatever approach they're trying in football is completely and totally broken. The last decent coach we had was Zook and even Zook was a fairly divisive guy. Some people loved him, others hated him.
Yes because they are a bad program without good institutional support and a series of meh to awful athletic directors.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Is that a bad thing?
He gets a big win here and there but has he built an actual winner?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Zook couldn't coach, but he could recruit. And a poor coach with great talent worked better than decent coaches with overmatched talent.

We presently don't even talk to 4 and 5 star kids. Or, rather, they must not bother talking to us, because every recruit Lovie is after is a three star. And it shows on the field. Some guys play well and turn out good, but on a weekly basis you see a team that is simply not as talented physically as its opponent.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Is that a bad thing?
He gets a big win here and there but has he built an actual winner?

Well, it would likely mean that Illinois football would be in a much better position than it is now. Leach isn't Saban but he's probably better than anything we've had in a long, long time.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
MAC THE MAC!!!!?? That's where Timmy Beckman came from.. oh the horrific memories.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Illini are missing their top two QBs today, so we are unlikely to see the offensive fireworks we saw last week. We may not get that usual aerial circus we’ve become accustomed to.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There have been as many earthquakes in the Mediterranean sea in the past eight days as there have been touchdowns by the Illini offense.

Illinois defensive backs are not within a mile of a wide receiver ever under Lovie’s antiquated cover 2 system.

And the offense is brutal.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Theme of the week: throwing short of the sticks.

After watching the Bears do it literally 6 times on 3rd down, I just watched Illinois lose the game by doing it on fourth and 10.

They threw for 7 yards and turned the ball over on downs at the end of the game.

Why? Why? Why?

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Sad thing is lovie will almost certainly be back next year