CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
There is no doubt this team has progressed and Lovie will be back. Comparing this current team against the one that lost to EMU and Nebraska, there was clearly a switch turned on in the 2nd half of the Michigan game. The defense currently is first in FBS with 5 defensive TD, 15 fumbles recovered and 22 takeaways. The kicking game is good and the OC Smith has figured out how to work his offense with a non-dual threat. The team could finish the rest of the season 0-3 or 3-3, but they have 3 shots at becoming bowl eligible.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Bowl bound with 1 more win. Illinois has more momentum and promise than the Bears do

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I worry whether they can beat MSU, even though I know Dantonio is one gut who routinely has worse offenses than Lovie does.
I still struggle to believe the turnaround is as dramatic as it seems, because I watched tehir inability to even slow down a Nebraska team that lost to IU at home and to Purdue

But it's true that the D saw a big change along the way. Whether something clicked, or the right people got into the right positions, whatever. The results are there lately.

MSU is a real possibility, not sure about Iowa (I assume a loss), but Northwestern is looking like 1970's/1980's Northwestern this year, and that should be a win.

I don't think they can go 3-0, but I sure would be happy with 2-1 the rest of the way.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I worry whether they can beat MSU, even though I know Dantonio is one gut who routinely has worse offenses than Lovie does.
I still struggle to believe the turnaround is as dramatic as it seems, because I watched tehir inability to even slow down a Nebraska team that lost to IU at home and to Purdue

But it's true that the D saw a big change along the way. Whether something clicked, or the right people got into the right positions, whatever. The results are there lately.

MSU is a real possibility, not sure about Iowa (I assume a loss), but Northwestern is looking like 1970's/1980's Northwestern this year, and that should be a win.

I don't think they can go 3-0, but I sure would be happy with 2-1 the rest of the way.
2 things about Nebraska game. Lovie has struggled against spread offenses. MSU isn’t one of those. Iowa offense is pretty bad right now. The OC finally got a few designed running plays for the QB after Minnesota game. And the QB was 9-22 in the Nebby game. They are running more and using the clock. I think they will be competitive against MSU. Iowa is after a bye week. I’m not sure what to think about that one. IIRC Lovie doesn’t have a very good record after bye weeks. Northwestern is a home game. Illinois should be pumped up. Good chance they are bowl eligible this year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
2 things about Nebraska game. Lovie has struggled against spread offenses. MSU isn’t one of those. Iowa offense is pretty bad right now. The OC finally got a few designed running plays for the QB after Minnesota game. And the QB was 9-22 in the Nebby game. They are running more and using the clock. I think they will be competitive against MSU. Iowa is after a bye week. I’m not sure what to think about that one. IIRC Lovie doesn’t have a very good record after bye weeks. Northwestern is a home game. Illinois should be pumped up. Good chance they are bowl eligible this year.
NW is (as always) Thanksgiving weekend. I may try to persuade my son to go.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Regardless if they can beat Iowa, for Lovie to get this squad to go 6-6/bowling with a win over a top 10 team is a remarkeable feat. There is some hope, unlike the other Navy & Orange football squad that plays in the state

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I posted “thud” during the game, and thought “I would love to have that thrown back in my face”.

We had plans to have dinner at a place that is really good for watching sports and I told my friend I was going early to watch the second half of the Illinois game and the Alabama game.

As it turns out I was stuck in a car dealership until way later than expected and did not see a single minute of the Illinois game other than to have seen the score when it was 28 to 3.

thrilled to have seen the results but now I want to see a replay since I missed the whole thing.

27 points in a quarter in which we got the ball at the opponent’s 9 yard line and did not score. ?

In a span of four weeks, Illini have victory over biggest point spread and biggest comeback.

I was pissed when I saw it quickly go from 14-3 to 28-3, since turnovers were the one thing to avoid. Mich State couldn’t score 28 against a good high school team.

But “wow”, what a beautiful result!!

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Wow. I was wrong. Props to Illinois and Lovie.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Illini going bowling as predicted. Basically washed out the losses they should have won with some upsets. Good for Illinois. Keep it rolling. Will be interesting to see what happens when some of this class attrition his Illinois in a year or two but ride this wave for now.

Do I need to bring up PJ Fleck in here?