Illinois Football Thread

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to have seen more blitzing on Manning. I fault him for that. But with Grossman at Qb what would u have done?
Stop passing in a fucking rain storm and run the ball.
Rex was the most fun to watch QB the Bears ever had. Good Rex or Bad Rex it was fun.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As a person who is also an Arkansas football fan, I really wasn't happy with this hire for Illinois. Let's hope they got the Wisconsin BB and not the Arkansas version.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Does this mean Leipold is reuniting with his former AD at Auburn?

Or just finished second?

Bielema has Big Ten HC experience, three titles and hopefully plenty of connections.
But I am not excited about him. He could very well be solid and successful and I am ok with that. He is not the type to excite, but many of those types are all show, so I will wait and see.

Six year contract at $4.2 per.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know this sounds silly to say after we have had so many years of losing football, but while I would love to see winning of course, I also hope we don’t see the same old boring Wisconsin style football. It may win some games but good Lord there’s nothing interesting about it.

That being said, it would be far, far better than the losing we have become accustomed to so I won’t complain if that’s the best we get.

I just share the concern that we can’t win with that style unless we recruit that level of talent on the line. Hopefully he can do that.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Or just finished second?

Bielema has Big Ten HC experience, three titles and hopefully plenty of connections.
But I am not excited about him. He could very well be solid and successful and I am ok with that. He is not the type to excite, but many of those types are all show, so I will wait and see.

Six year contract at $4.2 per.
I know Sark is interviewing with Auburn tomorrow. If there is traction with Leipold at Auburn that may explain the late bail on Illinois.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Bielema may have been on the hook for a week. Whitman did say earlier in the week he expected to announce the coach on Saturday. That was assumed LL as the MAC championship was a Friday night. Not sure what to think of the hire considering some staff doesn’t come with the Bielema. Will wait and see.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I know this sounds silly to say after we have had so many years of losing football, but while I would love to see winning of course, I also hope we don’t see the same old boring Wisconsin style football. It may win some games but good Lord there’s nothing interesting about it.

That being said, it would be far, far better than the losing we have become accustomed to so I won’t complain if that’s the best we get.

I just share the concern that we can’t win with that style unless we recruit that level of talent on the line. Hopefully he can do that.
He mentioned on ESPN going to a 3-4 on defense. Not sure what he will do on offense without a coordinator in hand today. Said “pro-style”.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Or just finished second?
Finished second looking back in hindsight.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are wrong quite often. You were wrong about Leipold being the coach. Your sources aren’t very good. Not any better than mine.
LOL wat. I didn't "use my sources" for Leipold. That was being reported around various websites.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I read elsewhere they were looking at two DC's. Leonhard, as has been reported, and another - OU, I think?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read elsewhere they were looking at two DC's. Leonhard, as has been reported, and another - OU, I think?
Marcus Freeman was the name that leaked today

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
First thing BB can do to improve ILL

Stop losing instate high end talent to Iowa, Minny, Louisville, and WEST VIRGINIA

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Would have much rather had Freeman. Illinois never seems to hire an assistant though. Always seem to go for retreads.
If they hired an asst from a non-power 5 school that you hadn't heard of before Bielema was announced, you wouldn't be on here criticizing?

I don't buy it.