Illinois Football Thread

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What is the point of playing this extra game?

They finished the scheduled games. One team started 0-5 and is awful. The other fired its coach. Illinois is playing without FOURTEEN players today, and the game is at Penn State, which played all its home games, while Illinois lost one to Covid.

Conferences are playing their championship games today. But two also rans are also playing a game not on the original schedule.

What is the point in this other than to try and make Penn State feel better about a terrible season? Remember, this Penn State team was ranked in the top 10 before Week 1. ?

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

They finished the scheduled games. One team started 0-5 and is awful. The other fired its coach. Illinois is playing without FOURTEEN players today, and the game is at Penn State, which played all its home games, while Illinois lost one to Covid.

Conferences are playing their championship games today. But two also rans are also playing a game not on the original schedule.

What is the point in this other than to try and make Penn State feel better about a terrible season? Remember, this Penn State team was ranked in the top 10 before Week 1. ?

The point was to let BB know exactly what he's in for.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

If you were a college player, would you want to play games or stuck in an apartment? Glad the SEC and ACC led the way. The B1G commissioner was a dope whose hand got forced. Glad the players available were able to play yesterday. The loss sucked. They were going to lose with that many out, but unlike Ohio State, Illinois did the right thing and kept the game. Not only was it an opportunity for players to audition for a new coach, it was great to be on a network giving advertising for the new HC.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
If you were a college player, would you want to play games or stuck in an apartment? Glad the SEC and ACC led the way. The B1G commissioner was a dope whose hand got forced. Glad the players available were able to play yesterday. The loss sucked. They were going to lose with that many out, but unlike Ohio State, Illinois did the right thing and kept the game. Not only was it an opportunity for players to audition for a new coach, it was great to be on a network giving advertising for the new HC.
Yeah, I understand that. Players want to play (unless you're Michigan). So, yes, I am glad they got to. And as Isiah Williams said, "it was like a job interview" for the new HC. I am not upset that Illinois played as much as I felt it was a gift to Penn State. BTW, why in the hell was it played at Penn State?

But it was good that the head coach got some air time.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't agree that the Big Ten commissioner was a dope. I still think they did teh right thing initially and were pressured into the wrong thing. All the cancelled games and controversy over tOSU kind of shows that.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't agree that the Big Ten commissioner was a dope. I still think they did teh right thing initially and were pressured into the wrong thing. All the cancelled games and controversy over tOSU kind of shows that.
OSU didn’t play Illinois because they didn’t want to play them and miraculously no one on the team was lost for the league-required 21 days. That’s 7 days more than the CDC guidelines at the start of the season. Those guidelines are now down to 10. Explain how the SEC champ has played 11 games successfully and the B1G champ headed to the playoffs has what? 6? Explain how Covid-19 designed itself to attack the most vulnerable of the population and yet it was a great idea to you that young, healthy athletes shouldn’t play. Name all of the college football players in the B1G who got hospitalized. Next name all of the B1G players who got hospitalized and died from Covid this year.

The Big Ten commissioner drove the conference to the back of the pack of P5 football. The previous commissioner, Delany, would never have had the Big Ten take a passenger seat role. He knew how to build consensus among member schools and would have been ready from the get-go. Phillips from Northwestern should have been the commish pick. Look to the ACC to get on top of the Big Ten in the money game in the not so distant future.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I forgot only death mattered.
Like adumbass I worried that people infected could a) suffer and b) spread the damn virus.

The SEC champ played 11 games because in red states the virus was political so they acted like it doesn’t exist.

ICUs are filled and deaths per day are at an all time high. Experts say gatherings are the cause.
But who cares as long as we can watch football!?

The Big Ten was driven “to the back of the P5 pack”?? What the hell does that even mean?

A Big Ten school isin the playoffs. Only three conferences can claim that. Bet the Big12 and Pac12 don’t feelthe BigTen is behind them.

I wasn’t calling for all activity to stop everywhere, but I won’t criticize the few who erred on the side of caution.

You don’t need to be a smart alec and tell me that I thought it was a great idea that young healthy man not play football. Experts on viruses thought it would be a good idea to not play football.

And it appears they were right as they knew that the spread in the country have not stopped in the late summer as people want to believe. The virus is spread more today than at any time all year long. Obviously not by football players alone that’s not the point. but the gatherings, crowds games in Texas, where they simply don’t believe in Covid....players getting together it’s just asinine.

I am not going to give credit to the SEC and ACC for playing more games. They clearly didn’t control it better. Dabo was ready to play with a player who had it.

I am tired of people criticizing the few people making decisions on the side of caution.

I am tired of people believing a young athlete can’t contract the virus or that how much weight he can lift will determine his risk.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Like adumbass I worried that people infected could a) suffer and b) spread the damn virus.

The SEC champ played 11 games because in red states the virus was political so they acted like it doesn’t exist.

ICUs are filled and deaths per day are at an all time high. Experts say gatherings are the cause.

The Big Ten was driven “to the back of the P5 pack”?? What the hell does that even mean?

A Big Ten school isin the playoffs. Only three conferences can claim that. Bet the Big12 and Pac12 don’t feelthe BigTen is behind them.

I wasn’t calling for all activity to stop everywhere, but I won’t criticize the few who erred on the side of caution.

You don’t need to be a smart alec and tell me that I thought it was a great idea that young healthy man not play football. Experts on viruses thought it would be a good idea to not play football.

And it appears they were right as they knew that the spread in the country have not stopped in the late summer as people want to believe. The virus is spread more today than at any time all year long. Obviously not by football players alone that’s not the point. but the gatherings, crowds games in Texas, where they simply don’t believe in Covid....players getting together it’s just asinine.

I am not going to give credit to the SEC and ACC for playing more games. They clearly didn’t control it better. Dabo was ready to play with a player who had it.

I am tired of people criticizing the few people making decisions on the side of caution.

I am tired of people believing a young athlete can’t contract the virus or that how much weight he can lift will determine his risk.
Clueless post and full of multiple strawmen. The kids get tested early and often, they are isolated from outside sources and stay within the team for the most part. They are much safer and in a healthier environment. I have a son who plays D1 college ball. You obviously don't know jack shit about how the universities have kept players from having large spread events. And yes. Warren demonstrated very poor leadership. Sorry you don't understand the difference between good policy that keeps the most vulnerable protected while allowing those who have little risk, like healthy college football players, to continue with their lives. Enjoy talking out of your ass.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

I don't really understand the argument you're trying to make in relation to college football. Yes covid is real, yes it's dangerous. How does that relate to which teams should be playing in the CFP?

If OSU and the Big 10 wanted to stress the importance of protecting its athletes, then fine, sit out the season. But they can't have their cake and eat it too. They either play the full season so teams can be compared to teams of other conferences or sit out.

OSU getting into the playoff playing only 6 games is a joke, IMO. I think A&M would kill them anyway.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Clueless post and full of multiple strawmen. The kids get tested early and often, they are isolated from outside sources and stay within the team for the most part. They are much safer and in a healthier environment. I have a son who plays D1 college ball. You obviously don't know jack shit about how the universities have kept players from having large spread events. And yes. Warren demonstrated very poor leadership. Sorry you don't understand the difference between good policy that keeps the most vulnerable protected while allowing those who have little risk, like healthy college football players, to continue with their lives. Enjoy talking out of your ass.
I know Illinois did a very good job, comparatively. Some schools, not so much.

I don't need you getting all high and mighty. With a son playing Div I right now you may be more aware of all the protocols, but you're unable to see things from an objective point of view. It's no surprise you take the stance you do with a son playing. Everybody wants their kids to play sports and all parents are up in arms that games are cancelled. Hardly the most objective viewpoint or unbiased opinion.

People whining about Pritzker trying to keep Illinoisans safe or Warren trying to do the safe thing are foolish. And tiresome.

And to rip into others as though we don't care is so fucking stupid it's unreal. I have friends that own restaurants and a daughter that works in one. They're hurting. I have clients that own commercial real estate and they can't collect rent. They are suffering greater losses than just not being able to play a football game. Acting like anyone who uses a little common sense in terms of safety doesn't give a shit about the financial impact is an insult. And extremely ignorant.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He's coached in a lot of places in the South and has had solid success at the Group of 5 level. Hopefully he's got some good recruiting ties. Not a particularly inspiring hire but who knows.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
All caps until the last letter. Good work by the media dept.
(Yeah, I know. Off topic. But, jeez!)

Thoughts on the hire?
Seems to be adaptable and has run different offenses, so possibly a good fit to fill the void with Illinois' current players while adapting them/new players in the next few years to the identity BB wants on O. At least they hired someone with playcalling experience as opposed to the 2 OC's under Lovie Smith.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Seems to be adaptable and has run different offenses, so possibly a good fit to fill the void with Illinois' current players while adapting them/new players in the next few years to the identity BB wants on O. At least they hired someone with playcalling experience as opposed to the 2 OC's under Lovie Smith.
I initially heard "run-oriented", but later saw he had offenses based on passing at prior stops. I have not read anything real in-depth at this point.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Some solid defensive coaches are coming available as firing season is at hand. Hard to believe Texas fired Hermann.