Im happy we got a 2nd chance with Versteeg.

Liked Posts:
His injured leg was really holding him back last year. The guy didn't have that step and was getting the puck taken away from him like some beer league player. Looks like the Steeg of old but with a higher hockey iq.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was a big Versteeg fan on the first cup run in 2009-2010.... but I was worried by his performance last year.

He looks good this year.... he still drives me a bit nuts at times when he tries to be Patrick Kane lol

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was a big Versteeg fan on the first cup run in 2009-2010.... but I was worried by his performance last year.

He looks good this year.... he still drives me a bit nuts at times when he tries to be Patrick Kane lol

I agree with this whole-heartedly, except for the last part; "Bob Steeger" can do no wrong.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Glad Versteeg is healthy and playing at this level. Will only help us come Playoff time. Also looks like the lines have settled, and we have 4 capable lines going.

Don't Toews Me Bro

Liked Posts:
hes healthy. its great

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Does this mean as soon as he breaks this hot streak, slumps and turns in to same old Steeger we can blame injuries? That seems easier to me too.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Does this mean as soon as he breaks this hot streak, slumps and turns in to same old Steeger we can blame injuries? That seems easier to me too.

Well, no ... not unless he gets hurt again.

But he was coming off a pretty severe knee injury and surgery in 2012-13.

Liked Posts:
There are hot streaks, then there is watching a hockey player who knows what he is doing and is using that ability on a consistent level. Expect steeg to play like this all year.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
There are hot streaks, then there is watching a hockey player who knows what he is doing and is using that ability on a consistent level. Expect steeg to play like this all year.

I mean...I am a Versteeg supporter and caught flack earlier in the year on this board for supporting him and saying how well he was playing...but I wouldn't expect him to keep up a point per game pace like he has been on the second line (Trust me, I hope I am wrong...but I guess we will just have to wait and see). Versteeg is a good complimentary player to the top 6 and can play on the third line if needed. He obviously has plenty of skill but don't be surprised if he goes back into the doghouse at some point for blueline turnovers or bad penalty. The best thing about Versteeg may be his cap hit...which is going to be needed in the top 6 going forward.

Liked Posts:
Right, Steeg might not get 82 points this season, but I see 70-75 at the end of the year. Haha now all we need is big Buff to come back and win a Norris. :) jk

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
23-91-88 line is simply on fire right now. Just the presence of Kaner has opened up chances for Richards and Versteeg, and both are taking advantage of it. Versteeg is playing awesome right now, and it is fun as hell watching this line play right now.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I was on the trade him away for the capspace bandwagon over the summer... but over time even before Leddy was shipped, I moved to the position getting rid of him was fine. The D-depth was something I still think is stronger for this team, and even though he looks good too, Pokka in his first AHL year is looking impressive as a return.

Steeger is definitely healthy. This 2nd line combo is working hot and I like how it still allows others to play their normal role, not requiring Shaw to be a 2nd line center away from the energy role.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My concern with him was always his hockeyIQ--It usually floats somewhere between Deron Quint and Victor Stalberg. His injury notwithstanding but I was worried this year that even healed he would make a lot of boneheaded plays.

I counted only one so far this year. The kid has been on fire and if he keeps this up, "Verpass" won't be used as an insult.

I'll take that helping of Crow.