Imagine a world where the Cubs 3B is Rafael Devers

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Do you guys think the Cubs should make a move for Devers especially if they are able to lock him up long term?
Work All he does is hit I think the Cubs should do this trade no matter the cost

Castor76

Liked Posts:
The danger in any trade, especially or a guy who is in the final year of his deal, is what's given up for said player. I would be on board with it given the payroll coming off the books after 2023 making it possible to re-sign Devers and he's a more known quantity. The Cubs would have to give up top prospects, but they are just prospects who may be great but also may fizzle out. It's the gamble taken with every contract.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The danger in any trade, especially or a guy who is in the final year of his deal, is what's given up for said player. I would be on board with it given the payroll coming off the books after 2023 making it possible to re-sign Devers and he's a more known quantity. The Cubs would have to give up top prospects, but they are just prospects who may be great but also may fizzle out. It's the gamble taken with every contract.

There’s a risk involved in signing free agents and there’s a risk involving trading away prospects. That’s just part of the game.

The point I was making earlier was if Devers is a free agent in one year you could hold out hope that he reaches free agency and get him for no prospects whatsoever, versus trading away prospects one year earlier when you don’t expect to contend in 23 anyway.

But that’s not to say I am against the idea of trading for him. The right package of players or prospects could be a really good deal.

You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jake Slaughter might end up as another black sheep along with Mervis. Keep an eye on both this year. Hernandez might end up the long game either 3B or SS with Swanson moved to 3B.