Improved Secondary and Offensive Line = Successful 2022 Offseason?

Bust

Liked Posts:
I HIGHLY doubt the Bears move past Justin before his first 4 years are up. They may not give him the 5th year option... but barring injury, he's here until his rookie contract is up.

They'll still keep him on the roster as backup due to his cheap cap hit for sure. But it will be Lamar Jackson's team.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They'll still keep him on the roster as backup due to his cheap cap hit for sure. But it will be Lamar Jackson's team.

I'd think they'd try their damnedest to trade him if that actually did happen. Just so they could get something out of him.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That HoF LT we replaced was a shadow of his former HoF self. Let’s not act like Peters was great. He was serviceable at best. And Daniels? Please. Not even close to worth keeping at that price.

But you’re right it will be about scheme and coaching this year. Even getting close to league average in that regard will be light years better than the Nagy years…
Agreed on Peters. Daniels? I'm 50/50 on. I'd be fine if they legitimately replaced him, but they haven't. And he was only 24 years old and seemingly fits the outside zone scheme. Hated to lose someone so young. But I haven't lost any sleep since he left.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yes. OL + Secondary Improvement + Running the Ball + a competent offensive staff in 2022 would be a great foundation.
This is really the key. Nagy was bad enough to where a competent coaching staff can get us from the 6 wins we had last year to 9 - 11 wins this year. Yes a lot has to go our way, but competent coaching can do that.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah that would be a success. But I also don't believe the secondary has cost the team many games, and if so, certainly not as many as an offense that hasn't been able to score points consistently.

2022 will be all about scheme changes, because they certainly don't have as much talent on the OL. They lost a high 2nd round talent in Daniels and a future HOF LT in Peters. They replaced them with a 5th round pick, who struggled at the end of last year and likely a 6th or 7th round rookie.

Well the Steelers and 49ers games were losses where the defense is to blame. Especially the secondary

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yeah that would be a success. But I also don't believe the secondary has cost the team many games, and if so, certainly not as many as an offense that hasn't been able to score points consistently.

2022 will be all about scheme changes, because they certainly don't have as much talent on the OL. They lost a high 2nd round talent in Daniels and a future HOF LT in Peters. They replaced them with a 5th round pick, who struggled at the end of last year and likely a 6th or 7th round rookie.
Most of the time Daniels didn't play like a high 2nd round pick and Peters had his HOF play 5 to 10 years ago, not last year.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't see how Poles, Flus, and especially Getsy are not upgrades. However I thought the same thing after Trestman and Emery were purged so we won't really know till we know.

I gave Poles a C+ after the draft and that's kind of where I'm at with this off-season. I don't criticize his decision to take first round rated dbs with the second round picks. Though I think the potential for this oline to be better is there, I'm sympathetic with anyone who is pissed there isn't more proven offensive talent on this roster

He might improve to a B grade from me if he swoops in for a couple/three low cost/high value veteran cuts this summer.

I'm not fussed about the trash players they are signing right now as every team is stocking up on camp bodies.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ooops! twice as many sacks taken as the slow white guy double his age!

GPCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGYDS/GLNGTDINTSACKSYLRTG

Nagy's offense was 100% designed for timing based throws and NOT to help a QB move the pocket or throw on the run. We have 3 years of Trubisky as further proof before Fields was ever drafted. We saw an insanely high % of hooks and curls where timing of throw needed to be perfect. A terrible setup for a rookie like Fields to learn from 0, much less with questionable OL and ZERO preseason practice with the starters. Nagy was so unbelievably stubborn and ignorant, yet he still managed to continuously outdo himself with how bad he actually was. Shoulda been fired at halftime of the CLE game, but that's other threads.

Dalton simply had tons more experience with Nagy's style of offense while Fields had basically none. Guess that's why Nagy wanted Dalton as his unquestioned starter - no need to change/adapt/improve. Don't get me started on Nagy's bum-ass lack of halftime adjustments.

It's even more unbelievable Nagy was the way he was after having previously worked with a mobile Mahommes! ?‍♂?‍♂️

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Has the Oline really improved? They brought in a center and a bunch of late round picks but lost their best lineman in FA.
I think the key is to watch the center play. Mustifer got pushed back into Justin's face all the time. If Patrick can even be adequate it will be a huge improvement. I saw several people penciling in Mustifer at RG but I'm not sure he even makes the team. Good guards are often late round guys and often guys who were tackles in college. We have a few of those now and ones that have shown a mean streak. I think Jenkins at RT will be more than solid (and an overall improvement) which just leaves LT. Even getting Borom's level of play from last year wouldn't be any worse than say Leno. Throw in a more "thoughtful" scheme and Justin's speed and I don't think we're going to see a repeat of last year. But we will see.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

One starting safety last year was worst in the league in pass D. I have hopes our rookie safety will improve that quite a bit. We also were terrible at CB opposite JJ so between the two DBs we drafted in the 2nd I think it's a reasonable hope/expectation that we improve a good deal in the def backfield, even with rookies who will have their growing pains.

I think your references to the OL are very misleading though.
They lost Daniels who graded out well below average as an OL last year. The fact that he was taken high in the 2nd means nothing at all. They didn't suffer a greater loss because of where he was picked.

They lost a HOF LT. Was he playing at HOF level, or just pretty decent? He was a good pickup and he did as well as we could have hoped, but we didn't lose Anthony Munoz in his prime. We may experience a step backward but it won't automatically be a great one, if it's even a step backward at all.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Even with an improved O line (I'm skeptical), is there more than one receiver (Mooney) who can get open and catch the ball? If not, Fields will be running around trying to find an open receiver if Mooney is usually double covered.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Even with an improved O line (I'm skeptical), is there more than one receiver (Mooney) who can get open and catch the ball? If not, Fields will be running around trying to find an open receiver if Mooney is usually double covered.

Guess who led the NFL in separation per target? Byron Pringle (technically Rondale Moore led, but his average target was 1 yard from the line of scrimmage, so he caught a TON of screens)

Guess who led the NCAA in separation per target? Velus Jones Jr.

I think it was with pretty good intention that Poles got a couple guys who can really get open and catch the ball.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
And even in that worst case scenario, which is unlikely…it is no worse than last year.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I think we should let the team play games first. then we can judge how great/shitty their offseason plan was.

from present day until preseason this is like jerking yourselves off. are you all jerkoffs?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I HIGHLY doubt the Bears move past Justin before his first 4 years are up. They may not give him the 5th year option... but barring injury, he's here until his rookie contract is up.
agreed

mecha

Liked Posts:
Pace spent a fair amount to get him, albeit not as ambitiously stupid like Trubisky. I think he's the way more solid player that just happened to come to the team when it was reaching peak awful again. which seemingly happens about every 10 years. people snarking about the 30-35 year rebuild honestly aren't wrong.

I think you have to let the system fall into place. unfortunately that takes time to happen too, his rookie deal may be running out by time that comes to fruition. do you gamble on keeping him or reach for another quarterback then?